Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get Jack: A Killer Musical with Kip Winger and Damien Gray

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Get Jack: A Killer Musical with Kip Winger and Damien Gray

    Rippercast welcomes to the show composer Kip Winger and writer Damien Gray for a discussion about their new musical 'Get Jack'.

    Interviewed by Tom Wescott and Jonathan Menges

    www.getjack.com

    Click image for larger version  Name:	dcfefa85-4ffc-4642-a516-a6a179b52afd.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.0 KB ID:	716347

    Available now to stream or download at the following link:

    http://www.casebook.org/podcast/listen.html?id=232

    Also in Apple & Google Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn Radio and everywhere round table chats about Jack the Ripper musicals can be found.

    Thank you to Kip Winger, Damien Gray and Tom Wescott for making this release possible.

    And thank you for listening,



    JM

  • #2
    I’m confused, who is the toothless trollope, behind in her rent, whom a bible-thumping ‘Mr Wilmot’ calls a slag?’

    Comment


    • #3
      I believe the plot and dialogue in this rock musical is almost entirely invented by the author, Gary.

      JM

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jmenges View Post
        I believe the plot and dialogue in this rock musical is almost entirely invented by the author, Gary.

        JM
        Not completely though, JM, eh? Unless ‘Mr Wilmott’ was a lucky hit, there’s a smattering of Ripper knowledge underlying it.

        The word that springs to mind from what I’ve heard is ‘inauthentic’.

        If I were to write a musical about 19th century Milwaukee, it’d be crap. Totally inauthentic.
















        Comment


        • #5
          Damien Gray does have a working knowledge of the case, has read several books and follows the message boards to some extent. The remarks you pointed out that were made by ‘Mr. Wilmott’ towards the Nichols character in the jolly bonnet scenario are of course fictionalized. Inauthentic. But you knew that.

          JM
          Last edited by jmenges; 07-13-2019, 10:25 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jmenges View Post
            Damien Gray does have a working knowledge of the case, has read several books and follows the message boards to some extent. The remarks you pointed out that were made by ‘Mr. Wilmott’ towards the Nichols character in the jolly bonnet scenario are of course fictionalized. Inauthentic. But you knew that.

            JM
            Ah, so it was Nichols. The impression I got was that it had something to do with the double event. Perhaps that was just an editing issue.

            One of the guys said he had worked for Disney, I think? Perhaps we can look forward to a cartoon version of ‘Jack and the Five Victims’.

















            Comment


            • #7
              No it wasn’t an editing error, Tom complimented and asked about the Wilmott song that I played. I had already used the excerpt from the 15 minute long Double Event song that Damien mentioned in his answer. Next time I’ll just run by all the guests and show edits with you first but even then I think you’d find something to mock and complain about.

              JM

              Comment


              • #8
                Your guest speaks about the double event, mentions Stride and Eddowes and how careful he was not to invent anything, and then we get the ‘Mr Wilmott’ song...



                Last edited by MrBarnett; 07-13-2019, 11:47 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I’m sure you’ve pre-ordered the CD Gary so you can hear the entire 15 minute long song on the 19th.

                  JM

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                    I’m sure you’ve pre-ordered the CD Gary so you can hear the entire 15 minute long song on the 19th.

                    JM
                    Wow! (that’s the right response, isn’t it?)

                    Call me old fashioned, but I’ve had my fill of people with no real interest in them trying to make a few bob out of the women of the Victorian East End.

                    If the Small Faces had done a JTR album, I might have had a different opinion...

                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zXeRB-3nDR8

                    That’s Steve Marriott, not Trevor.












                    Last edited by MrBarnett; 07-14-2019, 12:13 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      But yet the author of this musical does have a real interest in the Ripper murders and the victims, unlike some other people we know. He wrote this piece in his spare time as an exercise with little thought of it ever becoming a reality.

                      I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t particularly like rock musicals or pop-culture representations of the Whitechapel murders, and didn’t even know who Kip Winger was until yesterday. BUT we have many thousands of listeners with a wide variety of interests and if anyone asks me to be on the show to help promote their project, whether that be a book, talk, favorite suspect, musical or whatever...if it appears that they have a genuine interest in the case and some of our audience might enjoy it then I usually agree to have them on.
                      Since that’s the way it’s always been, not every single episode will be to everyone’s taste.
                      I’d like to see you eventually comment on something positive about what we’ve done with the podcast. If you’ve ever done that I must have missed it.

                      JM

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Kip Winger has 32,000 twitter followers and ‘Get Jack’ has shared the show to their 5000 Facebook members. If only a small fraction of those people come on to Casebook and take a look around, listen to more of our episodes, head over to the forums, read a few more posts made by Gary and others...then that’s a good thing and a win in my book.

                        JM

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jmenges View Post
                          But yet the author of this musical does have a real interest in the Ripper murders and the victims, unlike some other people we know. He wrote this piece in his spare time as an exercise with little thought of it ever becoming a reality.

                          I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t particularly like rock musicals or pop-culture representations of the Whitechapel murders, and didn’t even know who Kip Winger was until yesterday. BUT we have many thousands of listeners with a wide variety of interests and if anyone asks me to be on the show to help promote their project, whether that be a book, talk, favorite suspect, musical or whatever...if it appears that they have a genuine interest in the case and some of our audience might enjoy it then I usually agree to have them on.
                          Since that’s the way it’s always been, not every single episode will be to everyone’s taste.
                          I’d like to see you eventually comment on something positive about what we’ve done with the podcast. If you’ve ever done that I must have missed it.

                          JM
                          I’m sure I’ve given you/Rippercast the thumbs-up on a number of occasions, but when I’m not happy, I say so. Sorry.

                          I enjoy listening to you and Tom as joint presenters, you work really well together and you clearly know the subject inside out.

                          This latest effort, though, seems to have been prompted more by an appreciation of the guests musical back catalogue than by their understanding of the women they claim to be honouring.

                          Surely we’ve moved beyond getting excited about anything that has JTR in its title?


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            london
                            Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

                            I’m sure I’ve given you/Rippercast the thumbs-up on a number of occasions, but when I’m not happy, I say so. Sorry.

                            I enjoy listening to you and Tom as joint presenters, you work really well together and you clearly know the subject inside out.

                            This latest effort, though, seems to have been prompted more by an appreciation of the guests musical back catalogue than by their understanding of the women they claim to be honouring.

                            Surely we’ve moved beyond getting excited about anything that has JTR in its title?

                            Perhaps not, because nobody seems to be remotely interested in who Polly Nichols may have worked for in the weeks before she moved to Whitechapel.

                            I bet if someone wrote ‘Ingleside’, the musical, people would be queueing (lining) for tickets.







                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X