No announcement yet.

Rippercast Audio Archives: The Maybrick Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The seventh installment of 'The Maybrick Diary' audio archive series is Shirley Harrison in conversation with Keith Skinner at the Cloak & Dagger Club on the 8th of August, 1998.
    Accompanying this release and available to download is the review of the proceedings that appeared in Ripperologist Magazine #19.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7d40f12a-9521-4cdf-bb25-fd86059114c8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.4 KB ID:	721927

Available to stream or download now from the following link:

Also in Apple & Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Overcast, Podcast Addict, and wherever else you'd go to get FREE podcasts.

Thank you for listening,

JM

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

for the love of god man, run away!
      Some of the best advice ever offered on Casebook.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Some of the best advice ever offered on Casebook.

c.d.
        This project's intent is to preserve in digital format, store on the server, and share far and wide, decades old Ripperology-related cassette recordings that are for the most part sitting around in boxes collecting dust and deteriorating.
        While this particular subject is still very much controversial, I get the feeling that comments such as "run away" when someone finds these tapes fascinating kind of cheapens what I'm trying to do here.

My two cents,

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post

This project's intent is to preserve in digital format, store on the server, and share far and wide, decades old Ripperology-related cassette recordings that are for the most part sitting around in boxes collecting dust and deteriorating.
          While this particular subject is still very much controversial, I get the feeling that comments such as "run away" when someone finds these tapes fascinating kind of cheapens what I'm trying to do here.

My two cents,

JM
          Hello JM,

In no way was my comment addressed to you or your project. It was simply an admonition (tongue in cheek) to a newbie on these boards not to get involved in the diary controversy. All the best to you and I hope your project yields fruit.

c.d.

Comment

Understood, c.d.
            And thanks for your encouragement.
            More Maybrick Diary tapes are on the way.

JM

Comment

Shirley Harrison mentions that Ann Graham will be appearing at the Cloak & Dagger, around 27 minutes in.
              Did that happen?
              If so, will we be getting a recording of that as well?

Thanks for making these available Jonathan, as well as those who supplied the original cassette recordings.
              In the past I have tried to clean up recordings of gigs that I made in the 1980s, as well as other bootleg recordings, by digitising them through Audacity. It can be a lot of work and sometimes the results were worth it, at other times it wasn't.
              These are not clues, Fred.
              It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
              They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
              And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
              We will not.

Comment

Anne Graham did not appear as a guest speaker as planned.

Thanks for your comments, Ozzy.
                Unfortunately, the Mike Barrett C&D recording from April 1999 is one that I'll really be struggling with to make it listenable.

JM

Comment

The eighth release from The Maybrick Diary Audio Archives is author Shirley Harrison on the James Whale Show, Radio Leeds, on the 9th of November, 1998.

Click image for larger version

Name:	061aa9d7-aa13-44fd-be18-2e60a75dc4b3.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	722918

Available to stream or download now from the following link:

Also in Apple & Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Overcast, Podcast Addict, and wherever else fine Ripperological Archive Recordings can be found.

JM

Comment

Just as an annoying point of clarification - I'm fairly sure James Whale had moved to the station "talkRadio" by 98.

(He didn't work at Radio Leeds, a BBC regional station, but worked at Radio Aire, a commercial station in Leeds. I worked there for a very brief period as a Production Assistant for the DJ who followed James on the even later "late night" show back in 88/89.)

Absolutely irrelevant to the case, of course, but just in case anyone wanted to conduct any sort of follow up.

Comment

Originally posted by A P Tomlinson View Post
                      Just as an annoying point of clarification - I'm fairly sure James Whale had moved to the station "talkRadio" by 98.

(He didn't work at Radio Leeds, a BBC regional station, but worked at Radio Aire, a commercial station in Leeds. I worked there for a very brief period as a Production Assistant for the DJ who followed James on the even later "late night" show back in 88/89.)

Absolutely irrelevant to the case, of course, but just in case anyone wanted to conduct any sort of follow up.
                      Thanks for the correction.
                      I did read Whale's wikipedia page before I released this and it followed what you're saying.
                      I was a little puzzled, but not knowing any better I chose to go with what the source for the tape said in writing, which was BBC Radio Leeds.
                      Frustratingly, unlike some of the others, the tape case itself contained no clues.

Name:	be6efca5-5016-4bd1-adcf-622a881b803b.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	723579

It's too late to fix the podcast now, but I appreciate getting the station right here on the boards.

JM

Comment

Regarding Shirley Harrison on Radio Aire.
                        I enjoyed the phone in taking questions from listeners.
                        At 30.30. Dave from the West Midlands -

The whole thing was government propaganda.
                        It's all bullshit and I'm sure you know it

He then says that Shirley and James are aliens and when asked what he means by that he says I don't know, but I'm sure that you do!

In the end James says ah shut your mouth you stupid pratt, and cuts him off.

Great stuff.
                        These are not clues, Fred.
                        It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                        They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                        And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                        We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                          Regarding Shirley Harrison on Radio Aire.
                          I enjoyed the phone in taking questions from listeners.
                          At 30.30. Dave from the West Midlands -

The whole thing was government propaganda.
                          It's all bullshit and I'm sure you know it

He then says that Shirley and James are aliens and when asked what he means by that he says I don't know, but I'm sure that you do!

In the end James says ah shut your mouth you stupid pratt, and cuts him off.

Great stuff.
                          Very typical of all the phone ins I ever heard from him. He always seemed to try his best to appeal to a certain audience, mainly the sort of people who become easily outraged at liberal intellectuals such as those who write non-fiction books... Which always annoyed me a bit because he is an extremely intelligent man with a vast breadth of knowledge.
                          When he says in the interview that he was once a Ripper Tour Guide, don't doubt for a moment that he was, and could probably have conducted this interview on a somewhat... higher... level of debate. But he always felt the need to allow the likes of "Dave" to come on the air just so that he could tell them to get lost.

Comment

Thanks for the correction.
                            I did read Whale's wikipedia page before I released this and it followed what you're saying.
                            I was a little puzzled, but not knowing any better I chose to go with what the source for the tape said in writing, which was BBC Radio Leeds.
                            Frustratingly, unlike some of the others, the tape case itself contained no clues.

It's too late to fix the podcast now, but I appreciate getting the station right here on the boards.

JM
                            No problem. Glad to be of some help.

I'd be very interested to know if anything ever came of Shirley following up with the man who claims to have seen the police investigation at the house where the diary was found. Or the lady who claimed to be related to Elizabeth Stride.

Comment

A Preview of things to come...

Click image for larger version  Name:	40fa4971-e8ba-4864-b6e8-d8777f1c25de.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.9 KB ID:	726809

Click image for larger version  Name:	e097ebd5-c02d-4092-a7f0-ea3dff5658f8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.0 KB ID:	726810

Stay tuned.

JM

Comment

Thread for download links and discussion of the eight Audio Archive recordings about the Maybrick Diary.

Name:	4208517a-32f0-409e-bcdd-ae78bbf76a90.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	714050

Hi JM,

Just a quick note to say, of late, I have been working my way through the Rippercast back catalogue and have been enjoying every minute! Thanks, it really is excellent. keep up the good work!

Tristan
                                Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Working...
                                X