Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A P Tomlinson
    replied
    Just as an annoying point of clarification - I'm fairly sure James Whale had moved to the station "talkRadio" by 98.

(He didn't work at Radio Leeds, a BBC regional station, but worked at Radio Aire, a commercial station in Leeds. I worked there for a very brief period as a Production Assistant for the DJ who followed James on the even later "late night" show back in 88/89.)

Absolutely irrelevant to the case, of course, but just in case anyone wanted to conduct any sort of follow up.

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    The eighth release from The Maybrick Diary Audio Archives is author Shirley Harrison on the James Whale Show, Radio Leeds, on the 9th of November, 1998.

Click image for larger version

Name:	061aa9d7-aa13-44fd-be18-2e60a75dc4b3.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	722918

Available to stream or download now from the following link:

Also in Apple & Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Overcast, Podcast Addict, and wherever else fine Ripperological Archive Recordings can be found.

JM

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    Anne Graham did not appear as a guest speaker as planned.

Thanks for your comments, Ozzy.
    Unfortunately, the Mike Barrett C&D recording from April 1999 is one that I'll really be struggling with to make it listenable.

JM

Leave a comment:

• Ozzy
    replied
    Shirley Harrison mentions that Ann Graham will be appearing at the Cloak & Dagger, around 27 minutes in.
    Did that happen?
    If so, will we be getting a recording of that as well?

Thanks for making these available Jonathan, as well as those who supplied the original cassette recordings.
    In the past I have tried to clean up recordings of gigs that I made in the 1980s, as well as other bootleg recordings, by digitising them through Audacity. It can be a lot of work and sometimes the results were worth it, at other times it wasn't.

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    Understood, c.d.
    And thanks for your encouragement.
    More Maybrick Diary tapes are on the way.

JM

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by jmenges View Post

This project's intent is to preserve in digital format, store on the server, and share far and wide, decades old Ripperology-related cassette recordings that are for the most part sitting around in boxes collecting dust and deteriorating.
    While this particular subject is still very much controversial, I get the feeling that comments such as "run away" when someone finds these tapes fascinating kind of cheapens what I'm trying to do here.

My two cents,

JM
    Hello JM,

In no way was my comment addressed to you or your project. It was simply an admonition (tongue in cheek) to a newbie on these boards not to get involved in the diary controversy. All the best to you and I hope your project yields fruit.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Some of the best advice ever offered on Casebook.

c.d.
    This project's intent is to preserve in digital format, store on the server, and share far and wide, decades old Ripperology-related cassette recordings that are for the most part sitting around in boxes collecting dust and deteriorating.
    While this particular subject is still very much controversial, I get the feeling that comments such as "run away" when someone finds these tapes fascinating kind of cheapens what I'm trying to do here.

My two cents,

JM

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

for the love of god man, run away!
    Some of the best advice ever offered on Casebook.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    The seventh installment of 'The Maybrick Diary' audio archive series is Shirley Harrison in conversation with Keith Skinner at the Cloak & Dagger Club on the 8th of August, 1998.
    Accompanying this release and available to download is the review of the proceedings that appeared in Ripperologist Magazine #19.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7d40f12a-9521-4cdf-bb25-fd86059114c8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.4 KB ID:	721927

Available to stream or download now from the following link:

Also in Apple & Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Overcast, Podcast Addict, and wherever else you'd go to get FREE podcasts.

Thank you for listening,

JM

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    ***IMPROVED AUDIO QUALITY FROM THE PREVIOUS UPLOAD***

Paul Feldman at the Cloak & Dagger Club, February, 1998.
    In conversation with Keith Skinner.
    with a spirited rebuttal from Martin Fido during the Q&A portion of the evening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	19e43c61-68b8-48b3-8085-04a43e9d9973.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	721276
    Available to stream or download for FREE at the following link:

Also, while you're there, be sure to grab the pdf of Adam Wood's review of this event as it appeared in Ripperologist Magazine #16.

Thanks for listening,

JM

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    What was initially intended as just an eight part series on the Maybrick Diary is now going to become an open-ended series, as I've received recordings related to the Diary that now exceed eight.
    So...ignore the 'eight part' bit.
    All future recordings concerning the Maybrick Diary-no matter how many there are or when they occurred chronologically- will be put under this series' banner.

Also, stay tuned later today for a MUCH improved copy of Paul Feldman's talk from the February 1998 meeting of the Cloak and Dagger Club, plus an added bonus- the review of the proceedings as published in the April 1998 issue of Ripperologist Magazine-written by Adam Wood-which will be available for you to download.

Thanks for listening,

JM
    Last edited by jmenges; 09-07-2019, 02:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Good news, Jon. It was an excellent discussion, which I enjoyed despite the noise.

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    Originally posted by jmenges View Post

*This tape recording was in very bad shape and deteriorating.
    I ran it through several processes to bring it from 'unlistenable' to 'fairly listenable'.
    Since releasing this a few hours ago, what I’m being told is a much cleaner recording of this event has emerged. Once I receive a digitized copy- if it does prove to be an improvement- I’ll be replacing this recording with the better version.

If you’re a subscriber, you’ll be receiving the second version automatically as if it were a new episode.

Stay tuned

JM

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

for the love of god man, run away!

Leave a comment:

• jmenges
    replied
    The sixth release from the Maybrick Diary audio recordings.

Paul Feldman at the Cloak & Dagger Club, February, 1998.
    In conversation with Keith Skinner.
    with a spirited rebuttal from Martin Fido during the Q&A portion of the evening.

Click image for larger version  Name:	19e43c61-68b8-48b3-8085-04a43e9d9973.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	719395

*This tape recording was in very bad shape and deteriorating.
    I ran it through several processes to bring it from 'unlistenable' to 'fairly listenable'.
    Perhaps its for completists only? I enjoyed it.

Available to stream or download for FREE at the following link:

Also in Stitcher, Podcast Addict, Apple & Google podcasts, and wherever 21 year old cassette of Ripperology history can be found.

Thank you for listening,

JM

Leave a comment:

Working...
X