Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simon Wood
    replied
    I don't know if this is off-topic, but I found a George Hutchinson.

On Thursday 30th August 1888, the day before Polly Nichols' murder, a book began weekly serialization in the Pall Mall Budget.

It ran for the next ten weeks, with the final installment appearing on Thursday 8th November 1888, the day before the Millers Court murder.

The book was "The Mystery of Cloomber" by Arthur Conan Doyle.

It was illustrated in part by George Hutchinson, who went on to illustrate some of the Sherlock Holmes stories.

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Debra A View Post
    There's some more little tidbits I'd like to mention but I don't want to get told off for being off topic.
    Hi Debs!!

please do. your never off topic. : )

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    Cheers Debs
    There's some more little tidbits I'd like to mention but I don't want to get told off for being off topic.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I found a news article some time ago that mentioned an east end boxer named George Hutchinson.
    Hi Pat, do you have a source for this? I've got an entry about this in my notes but not where it's from - possibly from you, if you've posted it before.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Cheers Debs

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    What about no. 34, as some reports have it?

Or 34 from what I can gather. Unless I've missed it. I think there's a Sarah Lewis at another number altogether on Great Pearl Street in 1881 and mentioned before on Casebook by Sally and others.
    The woman that Chris Scott identified as the witness, Sarah Lewis , based on the family's handed down story, was never actually documented as living at Great Pearl Street. I just wanted to clarify as Jon mentioned Chris's research as showing Sarah Lewis at Great Pearl Street.
    Last edited by Debra A; 06-07-2018, 09:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Originally posted by Debra A View Post
    I'm not sure that any researcher has ever linked a woman named Sarah Lewis to the actual address of 24 Great Pearl Street given by the witness Sarah Lewis in her police statements.
    What about no. 34, as some reports have it?

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    Right in front of Abberline?

The inquest was held in what was basically the living room of a house, not a football stadium.
    Morning Advertiser 13th Nov
    "The court is being held in a small committee-room on the ground floor, a place altogether inadequate for so important an inquiry."

Echo 12th
    "the Court was mainly occupied by the Jury and newspaper representatives.
    Only a few of the public could be admitted, in consequence of the want of space, the larger hall in the building not being placed at the Coroners' disposal, for some reason not explained."

I can't find it now but I believe another report gives the reason that the rather spacious main hall was unavailable, which was that it was being refurbished, or repaired.

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    We also know from the research of Chris Scott, and her own statement that Sarah Lewis lived in Great Pearl Street.
    While the Gallagher's(Keylors?) who lived at No.2 Millers Court told a reporter that their married daughter, a Mrs Kennedy, came home at a very early hour that Friday morning.

Same woman, how does that work?
    I'm not sure that any researcher has ever linked a woman named Sarah Lewis to the actual address of 24 Great Pearl Street given by the witness Sarah Lewis in her police statements.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post

If she saw MJK outside Ringers at 3.00 am, Hutchinson could not possibly place MJK in Room 13 with Mr. Astrakhan at 3.00 am.

Somebody's not telling the truth.
    It's always a problem when a police statement does not agree with a press statement. There's no mention of "3:00" in his police statement.

Most of the Kennedy accounts state "about 3:00", not "at 3:00". Five past three is still 'about three o'clock'.

If we choose to be precise, at a time when no-one in this instance wore a watch, then we can easily call anyone a liar for the sake of five minutes either way. Is that what we are doing here?

If Kennedy was a pseudonym for Lewis, when talking to the press, then we are now branding Lewis a lair because the story told by Kennedy is different to that told by Lewis.
    Lewis is a witness who has been regarded as reliable by most if not all researchers.
    Women did use an alternate name, no problem with that. But, they do not change their story while using that different name.
    In the Chapman case, Mrs Long told the same story as Mrs Durrell, the names were different, but the stories remained the same.

We can accept Kennedy being an alternate for Lewis, if the stories remained the same, but they don't.
    And, given the two women had different home addresses, then we can dismiss the notion of the alternate name. We are dealing with two women, and both could easily have been telling the truth. And, in Lewis's case, her story helps to support the veracity of Hutchinson.
    While Kennedy's story clears both Astrachan & Hutchinson from being the killer.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Hi Sam,

Kennedy's story appeared in eleven newspapers.

If she saw MJK outside Ringers at 3.00 am, Hutchinson could not possibly place MJK in Room 13 with Mr. Astrakhan at 3.00 am.

Regards,

Simon
    Hi Simon.
    Neither are

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Gareth, no-one is going to talk about Mr Senise's book, until someone starts to talk about it. If you want to talk about it, just start talking about it.
    Don't wait for an invitation.
    Ok. I’ll go first.

It’s great.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Gareth, no-one is going to talk about Mr Senise's book, until someone starts to talk about it. If you want to talk about it, just start talking about it.
    Don't wait for an invitation.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Simon

Getting embroiled in a ping-pong match about Kennedy/Lewis is an off-topic distraction from Stephen Senise's appearance on Rippercast to discuss his book and George Hutchinson, which is what this thread is about. If anyone wants to have an angels-on-a-pinhead debate about the existence of Mrs Kennedy that's fine, but please take it to a more appropriate thread.

Leave a comment:

• Simon Wood
    replied
    Hi Sam,

Kennedy's story appeared in eleven newspapers.

Regards,

Simon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X