Clairvoyant 'contacts' The Canonical Five "It was George!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
    Thats a word I'd never heard before, when I left England in the 1980's I don't think it existed in the common vernacular anyway. I've heard it a lot this year, I just had to look it up to find out what it meant
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Thats a word I'd never heard before, when I left England in the 1980's I don't think it existed in the common vernacular anyway. I've heard it a lot this year, I just had to look it up to find out what it meant
      You live and learn, Wick!!

Comment

Never too old to learn, as they say. Though under what circumstances I would choose to use that word in casual conversation, I shudder to think....
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          Never too old to learn, as they say. Though under what circumstances I would choose to use that word in casual conversation, I shudder to think....
          Fair point!!

Around 20 years ago, I had never heard that expression and was working in a high street shop.

For reasons best known to himself, my boss used to use the term "nonce" (or occasionally the more elaborate "nonce-bucket") to refer to shoplifters, so that's what I thought it meant.

If I spotted anyone trying to nick stuff, I would be running around shouting it at the top of my lungs to alert the security guards!!!

Any customer who was familiar with the real meaning must have been wondering what on earth was happening!!!

Comment

It seems to have a variety of meanings. I thought I knew what it meant, but when I looked it up to check, I discovered that the oldest meaning is - believe it or not - a one- off instance.

Comment

Working...
            X