Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Episode of Americe Unearthed-- "The Ripper Unmasked" (so-called History Channel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode of Americe Unearthed-- "The Ripper Unmasked" (so-called History Channel)

I watched most of last night's episode titled "The Ripper Unmasked" and was disgusted by the claim that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was the Whitechapel murderer, "Jack the Ripper". Am American father and son team came up with this flight-of-fancy, based on Doyle's noted temper (what?), a drawing he drew of himself as a graduated medical student with the caption "Licence to Kill", and the idea that his father likely died of syphilis (that old chestnut!)-- as well as that Doyle, you know, was a doctor. Right, and also was a Freemason.

They asked the fellow from "America Unearthed" to consult with them, as he is a current-day Freemason. Supposedly "Leather-Apron" means the Masons' ceremonial leather aprons (though no blood was found on the one belonging to ACD, of course), and our guest investigator (a geologist) failed at extracting the kidney in a medical dummy in less than five minutes, proving that medical knowledge was required.

A look at "Dear Boss" and "Catch Me if You Can" letters showed few similarities to Doyle's handwriting.

Such shoddy work! Please assure me no one is taking this seriously!

Pat D.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    I watched most of last night's episode titled "The Ripper Unmasked" and was disgusted by the claim that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was the Whitechapel murderer, "Jack the Ripper". Am American father and son team came up with this flight-of-fancy, based on Doyle's noted temper (what?), a drawing he drew of himself as a graduated medical student with the caption "Licence to Kill", and the idea that his father likely died of syphilis (that old chestnut!)-- as well as that Doyle, you know, was a doctor. Right, and also was a Freemason.

They asked the fellow from "America Unearthed" to consult with them, as he is a current-day Freemason. Supposedly "Leather-Apron" means the Masons' ceremonial leather aprons (though no blood was found on the one belonging to ACD, of course), and our guest investigator (a geologist) failed at extracting the kidney in a medical dummy in less than five minutes, proving that medical knowledge was required.

A look at "Dear Boss" and "Catch Me if You Can" letters showed few similarities to Doyle's handwriting.

Pat D.
    Hello Pat,

The book that they wrote is a worthless piece of garbage. I only bought it because I collect Doyle/Holmes stuff.

Where did they get this notion of Doyle having a temper? His father was a chronic alcoholic and depressive who suffered from epileptic seizures. And Doyle was living in Southsea at the time of the murders. He was also hardly a fanatical Freemason. He joined whilst he was struggling in Southsea ( a way of making contacts and establishing a reputation no doubt.)

Who would finance a documentary on this crap.

I’m not annoyed at all though Pat
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I suspect you are a bit annoyed!
      I thought the younger man was overly serious re the theory (maybe on the autism spectrum), because Doyle's cartoon of himself with his medical degree was obviously college humor! Yet this man says, "Why would you write "license to kill"? You wouldn't unless you meant it!"
      The violent temper bit, wow! Did he get that from the guy who conned him with the partnership offer,but didn't follow through, and also lied to Doyle's mother about Doyle??
      Well, glad to hear it isn't being taken seriously except by the authors!

Pat D.
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

yeah I saw it and also posted how shitty it was. History channel has really gone down hill with all the "reality" bullshit, fake docus and such nonsense. sad

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

Pat D.
          I love the quacks. The (so-called) History Channel took it serious enough, so did some publisher. How come you, me, and Herlock can't get our own TV special. I am willing to accuse a famous dead person, how about you. There looks to be money in it.

We could argue that the man George Hutchinson saw walking with Mary Kelly wasn't actually Lord Churchill, but was in fact H. H. Holmes disguised as Lord Churchill; or we could say that Lord Churchill often walked around dressed like H .H. Holmes; or that Gorge Hutchinson is H. H. Holmes; or that H. H. Holmes is Lord Churchill; or that Mary Kelly was H. H. Holmes in drag. We can figure out the details later, after we have a signed contract.

The key is H. H. Holmes; I feel certain if we come up with any story which includes H H. Holmes, a famous Brit, and just one real character from Ripper history, we could get a 30 minutes (so called) History Channel show. H. H. Holmes is really hot right now we should jump on it.

There is a H. H. Holmes film coming out soon, staring one of the American mega stars, (I am sure it's going to be nonsense too) but we need to move now, while Holmes is hot.

Remember Pat it's not the things you do in life that you regret, it's the opportunities missed that you will always remember. Even Saucy Jacky understood that, it wasn't the five he killed, but the one he let walk by, that kept him up nights.

Comment

Originally posted by APerno View Post

I love the quacks. The (so-called) History Channel took it serious enough, so did some publisher. How come you, me, and Herlock can't get our own TV special. I am willing to accuse a famous dead person, how about you. There looks to be money in it.

We could argue that the man George Hutchinson saw walking with Mary Kelly wasn't actually Lord Churchill, but was in fact H. H. Holmes disguised as Lord Churchill; or we could say that Lord Churchill often walked around dressed like H .H. Holmes; or that Gorge Hutchinson is H. H. Holmes; or that H. H. Holmes is Lord Churchill; or that Mary Kelly was H. H. Holmes in drag. We can figure out the details later, after we have a signed contract.

The key is H. H. Holmes; I feel certain if we come up with any story which includes H H. Holmes, a famous Brit, and just one real character from Ripper history, we could get a 30 minutes (so called) History Channel show. H. H. Holmes is really hot right now we should jump on it.

There is a H. H. Holmes film coming out soon, staring one of the American mega stars, (I am sure it's going to be nonsense too) but we need to move now, while Holmes is hot.

Remember Pat it's not the things you do in life that you regret, it's the opportunities missed that you will always remember. Even Saucy Jacky understood that, it wasn't the five he killed, but the one he let walk by, that kept him up nights.

We’ve had Doyle, Van Gogh, Abberline and even Macnaghten. I’m just praying that Adam Wood’s forthcoming book on Swanson doesn’t succumb.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Im just praying for not another JTR book full of the same information we already know.
              'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Working...
              X