No announcement yet.

Whitechapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure I saw Frances Coles in the credits, but I can't remember hearing a character called that. Can anyone tell me where I missed her?
    Once is happenstance; twice is coincidence. The third time, it's enemy action.

Comment

Frances Coles is played by Sally Leonard and appears in the credits of the show as it is meant as a complete 3 hour show, but is split into three episodes for viewing on the tv.

I am not sure what actual episode she will make an appearance in.

The good news is, viewing figures show that Whitechapel got 8.1 million viewers, this was 29.8% of the total, which is pretty impressive for a Monday night show at that hour.

The previous week saw the final episode of "Unforgiven" which recieved 1.6 million less!

The ITV show also beat BBC1 6.32m (23.2%), BBC2 1.4m (5.1%), and Channel 4 1.86m (6.9%)
      Regards Mike

Comment

Ahhh. Thanks for that, Mike. All these names went up the screen in the credits, and I was starting to think I'd had some missing time!
        Once is happenstance; twice is coincidence. The third time, it's enemy action.

Comment

We all have that!!!! It's called 9-10 pm on a Monday night! xx
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
            Frances Coles is played by Sally Leonard and appears in the credits of the show as it is meant as a complete 3 hour show, but is split into three episodes for viewing on the tv.

I am not sure what actual episode she will make an appearance in.

The good news is, viewing figures show that Whitechapel got 8.1 million viewers, this was 29.8% of the total, which is pretty impressive for a Monday night show at that hour.

The previous week saw the final episode of "Unforgiven" which recieved 1.6 million less!

The ITV show also beat BBC1 6.32m (23.2%), BBC2 1.4m (5.1%), and Channel 4 1.86m (6.9%)
            Blimmey Mike where did you get those viewing figures? They're very impressive these days. I'm genuinely interested for other reasons.

Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
              I think the second murder was filmed at the rear of 4 Princelet Street.
              I've got a sequence of postcards sent to a Miss Peart at 4a Princelet Street from the Edwardian era.

PHILIP
              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
                Blimmey Mike where did you get those viewing figures? They're very impressive these days. I'm genuinely interested for other reasons.

Pirate
                The viewing figures appeared on Whitechapel's page on The Internet Movie Database, sourced from another site. They show a fantastic percentage share of the audience, and I hope this figure remains throughout the show.

Philip, what do the postcards show?
                Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                  The viewing figures appeared on Whitechapel's page on The Internet Movie Database, sourced from another site. They show a fantastic percentage share of the audience, and I hope this figure remains throughout the show.

Philip, what do the postcards show?
                  Thanks for the info Mike. I gather it has caused quite a stir. That's a very big audience, snow or no snow.

Congratulations if anyone from the production is nose'in in.

P

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                    I'd be interested to know where the first murder location was filmed. Looks like it could be near Brady Street/Three Colts Lane, or even somewhere in Shoreditch - plenty of railway bridges like that there.
                    I think it was Christian Street, there's, a large school by the railway arches and it's just by Pinchin Street.

The location they used for George Yard buildings looked like Newmans Passage to me, off Rathbone Street in the West End.

Overall I quite enjoyed the program, it seems strange to me that while quite a lot of research went into it they made a basic error is saying the Durward street Board School had been demolished, but then we all make basic errors .

Strangely the DVD is suppose to be released on the 16th which I suppose is when the last episode is.

Rob

Comment

• They probably have the killer under wraps, hence the DVD release date coinciding with the final episode.

If my copy is sent early, I will tease you all!! Mu ha ha!!
                      Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                        As for the book business, I'm most curious. The makers contacted our publisher as they wanted to use our book in the series and were granted permission. If it's still to come, or if they've not used it, I've yet to see. The book that keeps cropping up does not, as far as I know, actually exist. It's almost certainly MODELLED on Rob's and mine's book - it's a hardback of the same size (I don't know any other Ripper book of the same dimensions), similar layout and similar typeface. The contents, though, I didn't recognise. Likewise, the cover has been concoted for the programme.
                        PHILIP
                        Most of the pages are from 'Jack the Ripper: Scotland Yard Investigates' as I recognised the photos and the layout. They did change the Mortuary photo (Nichols I think). The text above the 'Ghastly Murder' broadsheet is exactly the same.

Rob

Comment

• Further proof that the guide is based on Don, I think!

Mike - the cards are generic. Nothing East End. They're sent TO a resident of Princelet Street and are mostly national topos or character ones. One, in fact, was posted from Guildford with views of the town.

PHILIP
                          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Hi,
                            Just like to add my twopence worth.
                            I would sum the first episode as somewhat disapointing, it relied too much on zoom shots of the gore, and small talk from the most unconvicing bunch of C.I.D I have ever seen, the script in the office scenes was extremely poor, and the short guy attempting to come across as the cockey DS, simply did not work for me, he comes across as most unconvincing [ poor casting].
                            Like all the other made for TV 'who dun its' we are left with several shots of charcters looking, or acting strange, so leaving the audience with possible hints to the killers identity.
                            Mayby i am expecting too much , but I feel, although initially proberly a good idea for a mini series, it it trying to be too clever for its own good,
                            Regards Richard.

Comment

• Think I'll stick with the original Jack.

Rob - Monsoon. Stick to the korma son...you wont sweat as much.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                                and small talk from the most unconvicing bunch of C.I.D I have ever seen, the script in the office scenes was extremely poor, and the short guy attempting to come across as the cockey DS, simply did not work for me,
                                The Investigation room reminded me of Life on Mars. Modern detective being doubted by the tired old guard. All it lacked was a female DI that they could slap-ass. Cluttered office etc. The tour guide was pretty silly as well (do they really carry a suitcase full of hardback books?), but not nearly as annoying as the police. In each scene, whether he's viewing a corpse or eating curry, he covers his mouth to keep from puking. It's his only scene direction. You look like you are going to throw up. I recognize another of the officers from playing the pimp in London to Brighton, and he seems to be playing the same meat-head character.

I was also wondering why they changed the victims photographs on the big board.

I could go on.

The title sequence was great. The choking sounds of victim #1 were eerie. Nice aerial shots of London at night. I liked the CCTV shot of 'Leather Apron'.

Hopefully there will be a twist, hopefully the killer will not get caught. But so far, a pretty standard what you would expect copy-cat drama with a new-cop old-cop buddy formula.

JM
                                Last edited by jmenges; 02-03-2009, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X