Whitechapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I was assuming Sgt Miles was named after the 1888 Sgt Miles.
    Hi Chris,

I must confess I was going by the Radio Times article, for what it's worth:

In fact, the names of every character in Whitechapel are taken from witnesses, policemen or suspects from the 1888 hunt. Phil Davis's character DS Ray Miles...is named after Frank Miles...a local artist who, like many, has been accused of being the Ripper. (Frank became Ray Miles because there's a real-life policeman called Frank Miles. And in TV - a little-known nugget - you can't have fictional policemen named after real ones.)

So I must have been wrong about McCormick, who was obviously not from the 1888 hunt. In the cast, it's DS McCormack, and presumably a nod to John McCormack, lover of Alice McKenzie and witness at her inquest.

I'm rather impressed that they bothered with this kind of detail, which seems to have been included just to keep the likes of us amused. They are probably going to be amused to see how we react.

Love,

Caz
    X
    Last edited by caz; 02-03-2009, 03:10 PM.
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
      Ah, I think I’m beginning to see a developing theme. It wouldn’t be that the ladies here rather like Rupert Penny Jones? No obviously not?
      Nope - he doesn't do it for me like Neil Pearson used to, in Between The Shee... sorry, Lines. He was gorgeous.

Love,

Caz
      X

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
        I must confess I was going by the Radio Times article, for what it's worth:

In fact, the names of every character in Whitechapel are taken from witnesses, policemen or suspects from the 1888 hunt. Phil Davis's character DS Ray Miles...is named after Frank Miles... (Frank became Ray Miles because there's a real-life policeman called Frank Miles. And in TV - a little-known nugget - you can't have fictional policemen named after real ones.)
        Love,

Caz
        X
        That's possibly where I read it! I have six different magazines, all with huge glossy articles in about the series, and knew I had seen it somewhere. Thanks Caz!
        Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
          Ah, I think I’m beginning to see a developing theme. It wouldn’t be that the ladies here rather like Rupert Penny Jones? No obviously not? Pirate
          All the eye candy for the men keeps getting killed off!
          Regards Mike

Comment

I liked it.
            I don't believe they should have slavishly followed the "facts" whatever they might be, because a real-life killer wouldn't. He'd have his own theories (a "Druittist" would do it defferently from a "Chapmanite", who would be different again to a "Tombeltyist"). As for the locations not being the 1888 ones, of course not, otherwise he would be too easy to catch - the cops could just wait by the next murder site at thge appointed hour and bingo.

For anyone that missed it, or is overseas and can't get ITV, you can now - for the next few weeks, at least, watch online here http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/Video/d...5&Filter=35078
            Allen

Comment

Lets face it Mike, the Lady duth protest to much...

I hope that someone from the series does look in. If you think about the usual responces to JtR programming, they are doing rather well...

As I said, smart move casting Penry-Jones

P

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNeq2Utm0nU ....are there any women here?
              Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 02-03-2009, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Episode 2 preview....

Episode two
                Monday 9th February
                9pm, ITV1

As the team begins to accept Chandler's beliefs and methods, they are left with the problem of solving the unsolvable.

In the second episode it is clear this case is no longer a straightforward murder that Chandler can wrap up quickly. He is summoned to see Commander Anderson and his superiors who are very concerned that London may have a Jack the Ripper copycat, and especially the impact of this leaking to the press. They tell Chandler he is on his own and must solve this case quickly.

Having earned a small degree of grudging respect Chandler leads his squad as they begin researching Jack the Ripper, reading books and looking at DVDs, in an attempt to discover who the new Ripper may be. It is a race against time before he strikes again and they currently have nothing to go on – except what history tells them.

Thanks to a witness and some helpful information from Ripperologist Buchan they have a prime suspect – a solider called Leary. Failing to get a confession out of him, they stake him out.

It is the night when the next murder is due to happen in Mitre Square and all the team are tailing their chief suspect. However Leary, now clearly innocent, sets them up and they are ambushed by the media. By the time our team reach Mitre Square they are too late – the Ripper has struck again, this time murdering one of their colleagues, Community Support Officer Mary Bousfield. And not only this, Buchan the Ripperologist has been arrested at the scene.

Was Chandler wrong to put his trust in Buchan? Is Buchan somehow assisting the Ripper? Miles is convinced Buchan is up to no good, and a visit to Buchan’s home reveals to them the true extent of his Ripper obsession. When Miles receives some disturbing post at his home, it is clear that this has now become personal.

View trailer here,
                Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by allen View Post
                  I liked it.
                  I don't believe they should have slavishly followed the "facts" whatever they might be, because a real-life killer wouldn't. He'd have his own theories (a "Druittist" would do it defferently from a "Chapmanite", who would be different again to a "Tombeltyist"). As for the locations not being the 1888 ones, of course not, otherwise he would be too easy to catch - the cops could just wait by the next murder site at thge appointed hour and bingo.

For anyone that missed it, or is overseas and can't get ITV, you can now - for the next few weeks, at least, watch online here http://www.itv.com/ITVPlayer/Video/d...5&Filter=35078
                  Thanks Allen, you made the point clearer than I did.

Similarly, the killer could hardly have known that Cathy Lane would have an abusive boyfriend (Robert Lees) with an alibi. I'm expecting the writers to get a whole lot of stick from certain unimaginative quarters if the killer doesn't manage to find an indoor victim on November 9th, who has two or three potentially suspicious men in her life and whose real identity can't be ascertained for love nor money.

I'd be a bit disappointed if they gave the copycat superhuman powers to find victims whose circs matched the originals.

Love,

Caz
                  X

Comment

Yep,all we're looking for here are the dates & sites with something in common with the originals........

Comment

Great thread!

Gordon, the groups you see going down the open area at the side of the old brewery are doing that just for seclusion. They will be level on a N-S axis with the back of 29 Hanbury Street, but the position of the house itself was between the second pilaster buttress and white door to the left of the plate glass windows at the Brick Lane end of Hanbury Street.

Caz - well, the production company actually asked our publisher if they could use our book and they said yes, so although I would expect a change of cover, I'd've expected the book contents to be the same.

However, Mike has put up a note about next week's show, saying the police start researching with books and DVDs and that is the scenario outlined to Breedon Books by the makers, so we might be yet to come after all.

I agree that they seem to have made their own little tributes to Ripperology by putting in obscure little references just for us to pick out, and in this respect they have, in my opinion, got top marks.

PHILIP
                      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Just hope they don't read HER book, otherwise JTR will be Baphomet, and Whitechapel will be doing a crossover episode with ITV's other hit, "Demons"

"I will rate thee and smite thee Jack the Ripper"
                        Regards Mike

Comment

If you want to get confused watch a recording of 'Demons',followed by one of 'Being Human'.........

Comment

Hi Caz-
                            Still think for sheer brooding sexiness Robbie Coltrane (as Cracker)takes a LOT of beating! (Ooooooh 'eh!)- Loved the 'relationship' with 'Pan-handle'...... And as to the 'graveyard humour ' of the pathology guys/gals- thats a given..........But--why are they always 'called from a dinner' or something (probably a masonic do!)- and arrive looking impatient- half cut ,in a bow tie, dinner jacket etc etc (Well the guys are!)
                            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
                              Yep,all we're looking for here are the dates & sites with something in common with the originals........
                              Nice to see some genuine locations. Brick Lane and Hanbury Street, obviously. I think the second murder was filmed at the rear of 4 Princelet Street.

And just before the body was discovered, that police officer was having a pee down the side of the Seven Stars pub - and he wouldn't be the first, either!

I'd be interested to know where the first murder location was filmed. Looks like it could be near Brady Street/Three Colts Lane, or even somewhere in Shoreditch - plenty of railway bridges like that there.

Comment

On the IMDB profile it just gives a rather broad "London, UK" as the shooting location. Lets hope the DVD has a commentery, and some juicy bonus features!

That said, the disk is labled as a single disk, with no features!
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X