Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Kelly

Hi all,
    Did anyone else catch the programme hosted by Matthew Kelly last night.
    It was investigating the cases of Crippen and the Titchfield Claimant?
    I don't know what it was called,as I caught it by accident,channel hopping..
    I think it was ITV at about 10.30pm.
    It was very "atmospheric"...quite Victorian actually,with a really nice signature tune.
    I hope it is a series,as I enjoyed it very much.
    ANNA.

22:40
     – 23:10: Forensic Casebook with Matthew Kelly
    Crime magazine

Matthew Kelly looks back at some of Britain's most intriguing crimes and shows how forensic techniques were developed to crack previously unsolvable cases. Today, the 100-year-old debate over the remains in Dr Crippen's cellar, and how England's most famous impostor was unmasked in court.

The unresolved case of Dr Crippen is to be revisited as part of an ITV series focusing on the history of forensic science.
    Susan Radcliffe has kindly sent further details:
    "I thought perhaps your members might be interested in a new ITV series - Forensic Casebook with Matthew Kelly,
    which looks at the history of forensic science. It starts next Monday 27 October at 10.30pm on ITV1 (in the London and
    Central regions) with an episode about fingerprinting. Episode 3 "Disputed Identity" revisits the Crippen case. Some
    more info about the series: We look back at some of Britain's most intriguing cases from the very beginnings of forensic
    science in Victorian times. Without the help of modern technology, how did pioneering detectives solve these true life
    stories of murder, mystery and mutilation?
    Mondays, 10.30 pm on ITV 1 (London and Central regions)
    Fingerprints - 27 October Cause of Death - 3 November Disputed Identity - 10 November (CRIPPEN CASE) Blood -
    17 November Scene of the Crime - 24 November Teeth - 1 December Toxicology - 8 December Ballistics - 15
    December
    Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,
      Thanks for the information,I shall look forward to watching the rest of the series.
      ANNA.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

Someone capped the Crippen episode so I should be able to see it soon. I've got the first 2 episodes, including the Brides in the Bath murder, that I'll watch tonight. Wife permitting.

I see that a show on Mary Ann Cotton (Martina Cole's Ladykillers) aired last night as well. Anyone catch this program?

JM

Comment

I have the Cotton programme from when it was shown over here in the UK on Freeview. My parents have taped the one on Amelia Dyer for me as well.

The Matthew Kelly series is actually really well done, but the problem is you can't cover a case in a decent way when you are only giving it 10 minutes of airtime. However, to have dug up (pardon the pun) a case as relatively obscure as the Norman Thorne one is laudable.

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
            I have the Cotton programme from when it was shown over here in the UK on Freeview. My parents have taped the one on Amelia Dyer for me as well.

The Matthew Kelly series is actually really well done, but the problem is you can't cover a case in a decent way when you are only giving it 10 minutes of airtime. However, to have dug up (pardon the pun) a case as relatively obscure as the Norman Thorne one is laudable.

PHILIP
            We watched the Amelia Dyer episode of Martina Cole's Ladykillers and it was an alright program that could do with a different host. Martina Cole, while probably a good novelist, is a bad television personality. She's not too fun to look at, has a weird tick in her neck, and a gravely voice that that is sometimes difficult to understand. Good thing our old friend Laura Richards was on it to balance things out.

I agree that the Matthew Kelly show is well done but too short. And its looking like this series could have been titled Bernard Spilsbury's Greatest Hits.

Interesting that the Thorne case, which was featured in the show along with the Brides in the Bath, came down to Spilsbury calling the marks on the neck natural folds in the skin as opposed to marks being caused by hanging, interesting given the current flap about the flap of skin in the Crippen case being a fold and not a scar. Looking forward to the Crippen show.

JM

Comment

The main ITV page has a section where TV shows can be watched 30 days after the initial air date, sadly, The Forensic Casebook is one of the shows ommitted from the list!!

Whilst there are several articles on the ITV page about the series, there are, at least at the minute, no plans to show it on the "I-Player"
              Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
              X