No announcement yet.

Schwartz v. Lawende

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So are we to believe that club members (who had mothers, sisters, daughters) had no qualms whatsoever about covering up for a fellow club member who had just brutally cut the throat of a woman? Now that is loyalty.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
      So are we to believe that club members (who had mothers, sisters, daughters) had no qualms whatsoever about covering up for a fellow club member who had just brutally cut the throat of a woman? Now that is loyalty.

c.d.
      My thinking is that when the woman is found their sympathies would be combined with some trepidation about their clubs future. Anderson suggested that a Jewish man refused to ID another man because he was also Jewish...even though he could have been a multiple murderer, so its not the first time youve heard that sort of suggestion. He also said that after the month of Septembers door to door searches they believed that the man they looked for was an immigrant Jew. My slightly different suggestion is they would have loyalty to their own hides, their families, their incomes, their housing, the club staying open.....the men I suggest modified the truth all had those kinds of concerns when Liz is found.

If you are suspected of being a criminal type by the police and then someone is found with a cut throat dead on your property, you are involved... whether you held the knife or not. I believe a thug, not a regular member or attendee, killed Stride, but that still makes it the club and its representatives problem to explain to the police.
      Michael Richards

Comment

• Question for you, Michael,

If Stride had been found mutilated, would you consider it the work of the Ripper?

c.d.

Comment

Question for you, Michael,

If Stride had been found mutilated, would you consider it the work of the Ripper?

c.d.
          The lack of mutilations themselves arent my real issue here...for example If Stride was just found on her back with her legs spread I would entertain the idea that it may have been Jack.... and also that he may have been interrupted. Surprised? Its what is used as the basis for the assumption that I challenge, the foundation for such explorations, I think that has to be present to allow for that kind of presumption,.. for example .... even if the mutilations were not done, the intention to do so was identifiable within the accepted evidence.

If she had abdominal wounds, I would be wide open to this being Jack, ...its the absence of those wounds and the lack of indication that any were planned, initiated, or intended that prevents me from seeing Jack here. I believe Jack cut and killed so he could cut more, but this murder seems like it was just a single cut intended to kill.
          Michael Richards

Comment

• Ok. Thanks.

c.d.

Comment

Ok. Thanks.

c.d.
              I suppose ultimately its Stride that I pity the most, because her sad ending wouldnt have made much public noise as just another street murder. She had the double misfortune of being murdered and also being immortalized as a victim of Jack the Ripper. Her hard life constantly peeled open by JtR researchers and students looking for clues. She didnt get any "Rest in Peace". I realize that none of the others did either, but the fact that some or all of them had the great misfortune of actually being killed by Jack the Ripper, ... that infamous killers association strips them of any anonymity they might have acquired with time after their deaths.

Its why I hope to make some inroads one day on whether Liz Stride should be left alone and no longer a subject of scrutiny.
              Michael Richards

Comment

• A good post and one with which I agree. They should not have had to endure what they did.

c.d.

Comment

• And I will add that I hope they are now at peace.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darryl Kenyon View Post

Wick why is it a casual accusation please ? I never said someone in the club killed Liz that night [ or who was in the yard ], but it has to be a possibility. You say yourself - The police had to have already considered the possibility and after detaining & interrogating all the remaining members, they were satisfied none were to be suspected.
                    Agreed, you didn't suggest a member, but you suggested he may have been at the club, like the members.
                    I'm suggesting the police had to concern themselves with the patrons, or attendees, of the club (as 'members' seems to be too specific).
                    So, the police had to investigate all those who were known to have been at the club, both members & guests.
                    Other's have suggested the killer was a club member, I don't think they were making a distinction between members & guests. They mean someone who attended the club as opposed to a stranger passing the yard & killing the woman.

I have said myself that Liz could have stopped a punter [ Jack ], as he was passing down the street who followed her into the yard before quickly killing her.
                    Yes, but why invent someone who no-one has spoke about?
                    Liz was already with Parcel-man - why invent a third 'unknown' person?
                    We have not even established if Parcel-man left the scene before the attack. The police leaned towards the obvious, that he was still there which is why they made him a suspect.

So if PC Smith did see Jack , and yes the police allowed for the possibility , were was he and Liz after 12/30 am or 12/35 am [ his testimony ] . Because he sure weren't in the yard at 12/40 as per Morris Eagle or on the street or he would have said so. And what if Jack saw PC Smith which is likely , would he then go on to kill Liz knowing he had been spotted by a copper , not for me.
                    Fair enough, but how can you say he "sure weren't in the yard", when that yard extends deep into the darkness past the print office and around the back of the club?
                    Are you stating he sure was not back there with Liz?
                    What makes you so sure?

Or, perhaps Morris Eagle had his time wrong?
                    Which sounds like the simplest solution to me.

Eagle does not refer to a watch or the club clock, but his times are estimates - he returned to the club "about" 12:40, he thinks he had been singing in the club 20 minutes, we might ask how was he so sure of the time? Without reference to a timepiece we must assume this was another estimate.
                    Eagle also admits there could have been people in the street he just cannot recollect them.
                    So, maybe Eagle came back and entered the side door of the club before Liz & Parcel-man entered the yard from the street?

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Fair enough, but how can you say he "sure weren't in the yard", when that yard extends deep into the darkness past the print office and around the back of the club?
                      Are you stating he sure was not back there with Liz?
                      What makes you so sure?
                      Her being in the back of the yard with a man sounds at least as plausible as her standing alone in the gateway, unnoticed by club attendees or neighbours. In at least one hand she was found to be holding edibles, of the sort that might be found in a costermonger's cart. There is evidence that carts were kept in the yard.

Krantz: I work in a room forming part of the printing office at the back of the International Working Men's Club. Last Saturday night I was in my room from nine o'clock until one of the members of the club came and told me that there was a woman lying in the yard.

One might reasonably suppose from that, that Krantz was working alone at the time, but seemingly not ...

Arbeter Fraint: ... Comrade Gilyarovsky ran into the printing shop and editor’s office that are located in the same building as the club, but separated in the back by the yard. There was no one in the printing shop. Comrades Krants and Yaffa were busy in the editor’s office.

Who's Yaffa?
                      Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

So are we to believe that club members (who had mothers, sisters, daughters) had no qualms whatsoever about covering up for a fellow club member who had just brutally cut the throat of a woman? Now that is loyalty.

c.d.
                        No, it isn't. Loyalty in this case would consist of having heaving qualms, in deciding to protect a comrade.
                        Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

• Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post

No, it isn't. Loyalty in this case would consist of having heaving qualms, in deciding to protect a comrade.
                          I think its possible that they werent being tested about their loyalty to one another, but more tangibly by the threat of income, and perhaps housing loss. Do they protect the club from potential catastrophic consequences if the general public decides that these Jewish Immigrants were the likely culprits? The mere fact that Israels altercation takes place off the property..when in all probability the truth is she was on the property and never left it after Smith left, leaves open the question of whether he is actually recounting a personal experience or placing a prime suspect off site.

Its probable that he knew Wess, he was in essence just the same as any man still in attendance there, poor...jewish, immigrant....yet he claims to not have been at the club with the kind of men he would generally associate with, an element of antisemitism... although unclear as to whom it was directed, a physical interaction that suggests Liz is being assaulted at the time....its too convenient and too much exactly what they needed for my liking.
                          Michael Richards

Comment

• Ive been remiss not discussing the other witness of this thread, Lawende. Am I missing something here...he said within 2 weeks that he doubted if he could identify the man again, he said so at the Inquest, ...yet he is sequestered at their expense, his suspect description is used a few times by different investigators and papers, he is probably the man they called in to try and ID Grant in 1895, and he is rumoured to be Andersons so called Seaside Home reluctant witness.....all this attention, for what? He couldnt ID the man again...he said so....so why would they continues to haul him out for ID's or use his suspect description?

Thats not the only thing Im troubled about with Lawende, its that IF the 3 men did see Kate, then the time left before Watkins finds her is very short. To cut around a navel? Mark the face? Cut into the colon accidentally? Rip and cut the apron section....all that he did to her, and add the time he had to get her into the square and do all those things then get out before Watkins enters..the total time available is from approx 12:35 to approx 12:43-44. It would imply that all the knife work, the kidney-partial uterus extraction, all of it...took no more than 5-6 minutes. Chapmans injuries could have been accomplished by someone trained and knowledgeable, albeit hastily, within 15 minutes according to the medical remarks, so, is it reasonable that Kates could have been done.. in a much darker location.. in 1/3 of that time?
                            Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post

Her being in the back of the yard with a man sounds at least as plausible as her standing alone in the gateway, unnoticed by club attendees or neighbours. In at least one hand she was found to be holding edibles, of the sort that might be found in a costermonger's cart. There is evidence that carts were kept in the yard.

Krantz: I work in a room forming part of the printing office at the back of the International Working Men's Club. Last Saturday night I was in my room from nine o'clock until one of the members of the club came and told me that there was a woman lying in the yard.

One might reasonably suppose from that, that Krantz was working alone at the time, but seemingly not ...

Arbeter Fraint: ... Comrade Gilyarovsky ran into the printing shop and editor’s office that are located in the same building as the club, but separated in the back by the yard. There was no one in the printing shop. Comrades Krants and Yaffa were busy in the editor’s office.

Who's Yaffa?
                              No need to take my word for it... You can Google it.

Yaffa is a feminine name of Hebrew origin well-suited for the flower bud ready to bloom. With the graceful meaning of “beautiful,” baby Yaffa can bask in compliments whenever their name is mentioned. Yaffa is also an African surname whose meaning remains a mystery for now.Jan 18, 2024

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Wick,...
                                Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Agreed, you didn't suggest a member, but you suggested he may have been at the club, like the members.
                                I'm suggesting the police had to concern themselves with the patrons, or attendees, of the club (as 'members' seems to be too specific).
                                So, the police had to investigate all those who were known to have been at the club, both members & guests.
                                Other's have suggested the killer was a club member, I don't think they were making a distinction between members & guests. They mean someone who attended the club as opposed to a stranger passing the yard & killing the woman.

The only men anywhere near the scene of the murder at the time it occurs....setting Israel aside...are men from that club. Attendees, members, employees, first time meeting attendees...and perhaps some hired security. Ive suggested many times that without Israel, we can dramatically narrow the potential suspects list...because the killer didnt just spontaneously materialize. Men said the passageway was empty, witnesses said the street was deserted that last half hour..at least after 12:35. Thats why I say the ONLY men anywhere near that murder site were club attendees.

Yes, but why invent someone who no-one has spoke about?
                                Liz was already with Parcel-man - why invent a third 'unknown' person?
                                We have not even established if Parcel-man left the scene before the attack. The police leaned towards the obvious, that he was still there which is why they made him a suspect.

I
                                f he is carrying the most recent printing of the Arbeter Fraint, whose size matches his parcel description, then Liz was seeing him as he left. Assuming he was still there when no-one saw him after 12:35 isnt investigating, its guessing, and police generally dont play that game. There are witnesses to the street after Smith, ....Eagle, Lave, Fanny, the young couple......they saw no-one.

Fair enough, but how can you say he "sure weren't in the yard", when that yard extends deep into the darkness past the print office and around the back of the club? Are you stating he sure was not back there with Liz? What makes you so sure?

For one, she would only be back there with someone if she is soliciting, which its fairly clear to all that have been paying any attention, she isnt. Street women dont arrive at a location on a deserted street an hour after almost everyone has gone home already, they dont use cashous, they dont have flowers pinned to their jacket, wear their good evening wear, ask to borrow a lint brush to tidy her skirt......or be seen with multilple men prior and not seen "doing business" with any of them.

Liz had no reason to be deep on the property, particularly if she intended to go into it via the side door to clean.

Or, perhaps Morris Eagle had his time wrong?
                                Which sounds like the simplest solution to me.

I am always saddened when people with decent intelligence believe that "the simplest solution" is to just disregard what the witness actually said the time was.

Eagle does not refer to a watch or the club clock, but his times are estimates - he returned to the club "about" 12:40, he thinks he had been singing in the club 20 minutes, we might ask how was he so sure of the time? Without reference to a timepiece we must assume this was another estimate.

Wrong, a club like that would have a prominently displayed clock. Its likely the same one that was also used by Issac K and Heschberg...both who said they were alerted to the body around 12:40, ....Spooner suggested 12:35, but maybe it was closer to 12:40...he definitely wasnt near a clock.

Eagle also admits there could have been people in the street he just cannot recollect them.

And Eagle also couldnt be sure that a body was NOT there when he returned to the club. So.....using your logic, perhaps there was a body there at 12:40 and he couldnt "recollect" it?..or chose not to recollect it?

So, maybe Eagle came back and entered the side door of the club before Liz & Parcel-man entered the yard from the street?

Then how come Eagle didnt see them in the street, why didnt Lave see them....Parcel man exited.

Parcel Man is nothing more than a fleeting distraction, little more than reference point in time for Liz's whereabouts. And if Israel was not being truthful, then again, the men at the club at that time are the only suspect pool at the time the murder is committed.
                                Last edited by Michael W Richards; 02-08-2024, 08:33 PM.
                                Michael Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X