Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
    >Stride was familiar with the Berner Street/Tiger Bay area ...<

Not only that, Berner Street was a route to the Swedish church, a little father south, that she visited regularly.

Plus I seem to recall one paper quoting a policeman says she was known for soliciting in the general area.
    I think you may be remembering Eddowes? As for Stride, there was no shortage of friends and associates who stated she would solicit when it was necessary.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
      Warren would have been very surprised to learn that he ever met, let alone interviewed, Matthew Packer.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      Chris Scott claimed there was a record of the interview having taken place.
      Last edited by DJA; 01-31-2016, 12:23 AM. Reason: taken place
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
        Warren and other heavies showed considerable interest in Packer.

Might explain his change of mind.

It had stopped raining for well over an hour from 11am.

BS man may have eaten the grapes.

Reckon BS man was Liz's bodyguard.

It was after he left that Jack struck.
        But how could Stride afford to employ a bodyguard?

Comment

Chris Scott claimed there was a record of the interview having taken place.
          Can you cite a reference?

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
            But how could Stride afford to employ a bodyguard?
            With Eddowes locked up and no sign of the blackmailee,she couldn't.

Hence the argument.

Once BS man left, Stride was left by herself.

Comment

Can you cite a reference?
              Sumfin' called casebook.

Search.....warren packer interview....interview may be superfluous.

Chris authored a page.

Comment

Sumfin' called casebook.

Search.....warren packer interview....interview may be superfluous.

Chris authored a page.
                Yes, I think this is a misinterpretation of the available facts. Batchelor and Grand did, indeed, take Packer to Scotland Yard with the intention of seeing Charles Warren, but there is no record of any such meeting having taken place: in fact, I would be very much surprised if it did; I doubt Grand and Batchelor had that much influence!

Nonetheless, whilst at Scotland Yard Packer did make a statement, and it is a record of this statement that still exists, i.e. not a record of Packer having met Warren.

Comment

There's this myth that Stride 'made herself up' that has been going around for years. I believe this stems from the fact that many of the victims were essentially homeless and wore/carried all their belongings with them. But Stride had lived in her own place with Kidney for years and possessed good clothes. That's why the press says she doesn't look like she's from the area and there was speculation that she'd been lured there from the west side. But there's no suggestion that she looked any better that day than on any given weekend. That's just the clothes she had. What I thought was most interesting is that even though she rarely lived in the lodging house, she was able to waltz in and get paid by the deputy to do cleaning. This must have stirred the ire of longer term residences who were not so cozy with the deputy. But this idea that she got gussied up with a date for a secret boyfriend falls flat when it becomes clear she was seen with different men that evening.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                  Hello Tom,

According to Best, the woman he saw at the Bricklayers' Arms with a suspect, and who he subsequently identified as Stride (or at least he was almost certain that she was the victim), was "poorly dressed."

Comment

Yes, I think this is a misinterpretation of the available facts. Batchelor and Grand did, indeed, take Packer to Scotland Yard with the intention of seeing Charles Warren, but there is no record of any such meeting having taken place: in fact, I would be very much surprised if it did; I doubt Grand and Batchelor had that much influence!

Nonetheless, whilst at Scotland Yard Packer did make a statement, and it is a record of this statement that still exists, i.e. not a record of Packer having met Warren.
                    Yes John, in Stewart's first English edition of the Ultimate, on pages 130/131 we read the summary written by Alexander Carmichael Bruce. The signature "ACB" was originally mistaken for "CW", or so I was informed by Stewart.

This Warren/Packer association is a rather dated scenario from someone who is not up to date with research.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

... Most of the stuff that gets 'argued' is ill-informed and sometimes nonsensical. I'm not referring any people or person on this thread, just in general. For instance, it gets argued that Packer sold Stride and a man grapes in spite of the wealth of evidence proving that untrue, including Packer's own denial to the police.
                      Well Tom, there's nothing "ill-informed" about the fruit stains on Stride's handkerchief, nor the finding of the grape stalk in Dutfield's Yard.
                      And Dr. Phillips was looking for grape skin & pips in the stomach, not the jelly-like fruit of a grape, which is not going to survive 38 hours anyway, and likely not even be recognisable among the partly digested cheese & potato in her stomach if it did.

So it is not true to say there is evidence against her eating grapes.

The reason Packer's story was rejected was due to him changing the times, not that the story he told didn't happen.

The police did not dismiss Packer due to him originally telling Sergt. White that he saw nothing & nobody, or they wouldn't have entertained him for an interview later, which they clearly did as evidenced by the summary that was made of his police statement by A.C.B.
                      Whether this statement was the result of Grand & Batchelor bringing him in, or Scotland Yard doing so at some point later is unknown.

The police could not use a story when the witness was not be certain that what he saw happened between 11:00-11:30, or 12:00-12:30. This uncertainty makes the statement unusable, hence Swanson's dismissing of Packer as unreliable.
                      Not, that the story didn't happen.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Source

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                          Well Tom, there's nothing "ill-informed" about the fruit stains on Stride's handkerchief, nor the finding of the grape stalk in Dutfield's Yard.
                          And Dr. Phillips was looking for grape skin & pips in the stomach, not the jelly-like fruit of a grape, which is not going to survive 38 hours anyway, and likely not even be recognisable among the partly digested cheese & potato in her stomach if it did.

So it is not true to say there is evidence against her eating grapes.

The reason Packer's story was rejected was due to him changing the times, not that the story he told didn't happen.
                          +1

Some of the "heritage grapes" had thick skins and decent seeds.

Used to peel mine as a kid and spit out the pips.

Three growers/wineries up here.
                          Quite enjoy pruning in the Winter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                            Yes John, in Stewart's first English edition of the Ultimate, on pages 130/131 we read the summary written by Alexander Carmichael Bruce. The signature "ACB" was originally mistaken for "CW", or so I was informed by Stewart.

This Warren/Packer association is a rather dated scenario from someone who is not up to date with research.
                            Why would private detectives be taking Packer to see Warren?

Like asking why did the chicken cross the road.

The answer is obvious.

ACB was mistaken for CW. ROFL.

How are the Gruffs?

Comment

Source
                              I think you're asking me to prove a negative!

Comment

Why would private detectives be taking Packer to see Warren?

Like asking why did the chicken cross the road.

The answer is obvious.

ACB was mistaken for CW. ROFL.

How are the Gruffs?
                                Well, they might have offered to take him to see Queen Victoria, but that's no reason to believe that they would have been granted an audience! And it certainly wouldn't amount to evidence that any meeting took place.
                                Last edited by John G; 01-31-2016, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X