Packer and Schwartz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    HI Karsten, In one newspaper it said "The East End Infirmary" but in another it said "An East End Infirmary"
    I personally think that if it was a Aaron he would have been somewhere like the Jewish Hospital. His family seemed to be finacially comfortable with connections. I can imagine they wouldn't want him in the Workhouse Infirmary especially with the police on his tail. I would then guess he was sent away for a rest possibly a Jewish rest home. I did wonder about Norwood as I believe Pizer was there at one time, not sure if it took adults in 1888 though.
    I dont think an ID would be allowed till he came out.
    Or when he came out of infirmary and was going away for a rest the police were waiting and took him? I think the with difficulty would be the family understandably not liking this at all. If both witnesses went I suspect one wouldnt id him and the other couldnt. If Schwartz was one of them, it would explain how he knew suspect was Jewish and unwell, he id'd him in a Jewish rest home.....
    Just a theory though !

Pat.........
    Hello Pat,

I agree... but:

"I dont think an ID would be allowed till he came out."

Anderson:

I will only add that when the individual whom we suspected was caged in an asylum, the only person who had ever had a good view of the murderer at once identified him

Swanson:

after the suspect had been identified at the Seaside Home where he had been sent by us with difficulty in order to subject him to identification, and he knew he was identified

It seems to me that it has been possible to take "Kosminski" from an asylum in 1890/91 so why not in October 1888?

If "Kosminski" was the man with the "haggard face" and a "woollen scarf of violet colour" (reddish handkerchief-Lawende) on 1 October found by a constable not far from Mitre Square and the same man on 11-13 October 1888 ("ID" with Schwartz & Lawende), then Schwartz did not see "Kosminski" ("full face" vs. "haggard face") in Berner Street. He could not identify "Kosminski" because he did not see him. But Lawende saw him in Duke Street and his "brief look at him" was not enough to identify this suspect.

Karsten.

Comment

• Karsten,

Anderson:
      I will only add that when the individual whom we suspected was caged in an asylum, the only person who had ever had a good view of the murderer at once identified him
      I have always thought that this identification was a person who would not swear to it before at a previous id when Suspect was ill and also Jewish and the witness did not want it to be left on his mind if the suspect was hung (maybe not 100% sure). Once suspect was finally comitted in the Asylum the man then may have said yes I think it was him??

I think its possible that an unsuccessful id was done around October 1888 when suspect was in a rest home of some sort
      If this suspect was Jack he would have to be out by November (Mary Kelly)
      Henry Cox said they got on the trail after last murder (which I assume meant Mary Kelly) Perhaps they found he had been released and wern't sure where he had moved to (Woolfs daughter was pulled out of school at end of October and at some point pretty soon they moved to Yalford Street)

I am interested in this man that was found with the mauve scarf I shall have a look at that.

Hope this makes sense?
      Pat......

Comment

• Originally posted by S.Brett View Post
        Now there are green lines in Goulston Street, Old Castle Street/Castle Alley & pink and blue lines between Goulston Street & Old Castle Street!
        Ok..lots of interesting photos... A little off topic for Schwartz however the next set of photos should bring us back to subject..

I have an idea of filming Shwartz walk from commercial road to Dutfield and browns walk home

But coming it's Wentworth street...give me some time

Jef

Comment

• Master the possibilities.

Hello Jeff. Thanks.

There is yet another possibility. He was Mac's suspect and came to police attention later than you think.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            Karsten,

I have always thought that this identification was a person who would not swear to it before at a previous id when Suspect was ill and also Jewish and the witness did not want it to be left on his mind if the suspect was hung (maybe not 100% sure). Once suspect was finally comitted in the Asylum the man then may have said yes I think it was him??

I think its possible that an unsuccessful id was done around October 1888 when suspect was in a rest home of some sort
            If this suspect was Jack he would have to be out by November (Mary Kelly)
            Henry Cox said they got on the trail after last murder (which I assume meant Mary Kelly) Perhaps they found he had been released and wern't sure where he had moved to (Woolfs daughter was pulled out of school at end of October and at some point pretty soon they moved to Yalford Street)

I am interested in this man that was found with the mauve scarf I shall have a look at that.

Hope this makes sense?
            Pat......
            Good Morning Pat!

I guess that a new witness was found in 1890/91 and I think he had seen "Kosminski" in Miller´s Court on the morning of the 9 November 1888.

The Daily Telegraph, Tuesday, 2 October, 1888:

"a man was, later in the day, brought to the Leman-street Police-station by a constable who found him prowling about not far from Mitre-street. His face was haggard, and he seemed unable to give any account of himself. Upon him were found 1s 4½d in money and a razor, and round his throat was a woollen scarf of a violet colour, upon which were several long hairs, supposed to be those of a woman." (1 October 1888)

Lawende:

"of shabby appearance, about 30 years of age and 5ft. 9in. in height, of fair complexion, having a small fair moustache, and wearing a red neckerchief and a cap with a peak" (2 October 1888/ Times)

"age 30 ht. 5 ft. 7 or 8 in. comp. fair fair moustache, medium built, dress pepper & salt colour loose jacket, grey cloth cap with peak of same colour, reddish handkerchief tied in a knot, round neck, appearance of a sailor." (19 October 1888/ Swanson)

PC near Mitre Square?

"by a constable who found him prowling about not far from Mitre-street"

Sims:

“The policeman who got a glimpse of Jack the Ripper in Mitre Court said, when some time afterwards he saw the Pole, that he was the height and build of the man he had seen on the night of the murder.”

Macnaughten:

“This man in appearance strongly resembled the individual seen by the City PC near Mitre Square”.

Karsten.

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello Jeff. Thanks.

There is yet another possibility. He was Mac's suspect and came to police attention later than you think.

Cheers.
              LC
              Doesn't seem very probable. Mac clearly says he entered the asylum March 1889.

And this matches what Cox says, three months after the Kelly murder

Mac doesn't even know what happened to Kozminski after that (I believe still is)

So all Mac does is write a Home Office memo 1894... He goes into the store cupboard pulls out some files the largest being Kozminski upto March 1889

He always prefers his private info and sticks with it working from memory and making a few errors

Yours Jeff

Comment

• Hi Pat,Hi Jeff,

I found out that in Mile End Road were two Jewish homes:

Portuguese and Spanish Jew´s hospital between 251-255 Mile End Road.
                Jewish Home (Samuel Shuter, supt.), 37-39 Stepney Green Mile End Road.

I found a Samuel Shutter, born Poland (Samuel Shuter, supt.)/ “master of the Home for Aged Jews (1881, 1891)”/ “late master of the Home for Aged Jews”

“On 1881 English census at 37 & 39 Stepney Green, Mile End Old Town, London:
                Samuel Shuter Head M 65 Master of the Jewish Home German

“On 1891 English census at 37 & 39 Stepney Green, Mile End Old Town, London (RG12/307/ED 17/f 154/ 47):
                Samuel Shuter Head M 65 Master of the Jewish Home Germany

He had a brother, Isaac Shuter (born Poland):

Interestingly, his brother Isaac Shuter (died 1883) lived in Camberwell/ Surrey. Camberwell Road, Camberwell was not far (“around the corner”) from the Camberwell House Asylum/ Surrey in Peckham Road/ Havil Street.

You great uncle DC Cox said:

“was forced to spend a portion of his time in an asylum in Surrey (Sagar: private asylum)

Camberwell House Asylum/ Surrey Peckham Road (Havil Street, Gordon Road and later Constance Road) :

Volumes 2-3 of the case books of Camberwell House, a private lunatic asylum (metropolitan licensed house) at Camberwell, Surrey. The casebooks contain records for approximately 900 people. The volumes contain no internal indexes but an alphabetical list of patient names has been compiled for each volume (see individual item level records for MS.6220 and MS.6221). Volume 2 contains records for people admitted 1847-1850 with further notes on the some of the same patients through 1876. Volume 3 contains admission records for 1850-1853 with further records on some of the same patients through 1887.

Camberwell House asylum opened at 30-32 Peckham Road in 1846, occupying two houses built in 1790 and previously used to house a school. It was owned by Aubin & Co. and was under the medical superintendence of the surgeon John... more

“The Asylum was licensed to acommodate 70 male and 80 female paupers, and 12 male private patients, despite protests from the local inhibitatnts of Peckham Road that the Asylum and its grounds were too small for such a number, and that they were overlooked by the workhouse and two private houses.”

“By 1859 the Asylum contained 318 inmates - some 247 paupers and 71 private patients - who were kept occupied by work in the grounds (unusually for the times, both sexes were allowed to mix together in the garden). Each year a house by the seaside was hired for use as a holiday home.”

There was a Seaside Home!!!

Old Bailey, Samuel Shuter, another “connection” with Surrey (Wandsworth)

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18730303-237&div=t18730303-237&terms=Samuel|Shuter#highlight

At the moment I am on Ancestry searching for “the man”. Via Admission and Discharge records… Southwark, Camberwell, Havil Street Old and New Workhouses 1889-1890 but I am surprised there is no record before 17 März 1889!!!

Just another idea... perhaps there is a connection between the Jewish Home in Stepney Green and a private asylum in Camberwell/ Surrey...

I hope you can help me looking at these Camberwell records.

Karsten.

Comment

• Very interesting Stuff Karsten

Camberwell is certainly one of the main three asylums I have looked at in Surrey, with Bethel and Holloway and would certain make more sense doesn't Golda live in Wansworth?

While on my travels to Leaman street yesterday I cam across a Lutherian Church next door to an English and German language building thought they might interest you

Yours Jeff
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Karsten

I started my route at the Frying pan pub..behind which ran Thrawl Street

If you turn and look back down Brick lane you can see the junction where Emma Smith was attacked.

Our route will take us left into Wentworth Street. The numbers today only reach about 88 at this point and go down to number one, once past Goulston Street

Yours Jeff
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Ok we look briefly up Old Montigue street...I believe Black lion Yard is on right?

Then turn back to the junction Osbourne and Bricklane... Trawl street is on your right as you head down Wentworth Street and Gunthorpe Street and George Yard to your left

Yours Jeff
                      Attached Files

Comment

• We leave Gunthorpe street and head towards Commercial street.

We cross Commercial Street into wentworth Street where you have suggested Cox may have had use of a shop?

Yours Jeff
                        Attached Files

Comment

• As we head up Wentworth Old Castle ally to our left and Toynbee street to our right....
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
                            Very interesting Stuff Karsten

Camberwell is certainly one of the main three asylums I have looked at in Surrey, with Bethel and Holloway and would certain make more sense doesn't Golda live in Wansworth?

While on my travels to Leaman street yesterday I cam across a Lutherian Church next door to an English and German language building thought they might interest you

Yours Jeff
                            Cool!

Comment

• As we proceed up Wentworth street numbers become lower

To our Right Bell Lane and to our left Goulston Street, where we discover the Graffito and apron piece

Yours Jeff
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the the pictures. I "followed" you via Google Street View...

Comment

Working...
                                X