Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible explanation for Maxwell Discrepency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi C4,
    Only one scream was heard, and according to Mrs Prater, sounded like ''Someone awaken from a nightmare''
    This could explain the cry out at 4am...
    According to a woman called Lottie,,Mary Kelly had told her, that she had recently had a dream that she was being murdered.
    Is it not possible, that she dreamed the same again that morning, especially if she had been in alcohol, and as the subject of that dream was ''Being murdered''..the Cry out'' Oh Murder'' would fit that scenario.?
    Regards Richard,

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
      Hi C4,
      Only one scream was heard, and according to Mrs Prater, sounded like ''Someone awaken from a nightmare''
      This could explain the cry out at 4am...
      According to a woman called Lottie,,Mary Kelly had told her, that she had recently had a dream that she was being murdered.
      Is it not possible, that she dreamed the same again that morning, especially if she had been in alcohol, and as the subject of that dream was ''Being murdered''..the Cry out'' Oh Murder'' would fit that scenario.?
      Regards Richard,
      Or someone waking TO a nightmare! No, twopeople said they heard screams, Prater and Lewis, Prater two or three screams, at least according to the Sourcebook.

Best wishes,
      C4

Comment

Mrs Prater told the inquest, that she was awakened by a faint cry of ''Oh Murder'' asked to describe she said ''Like awaken from a nightmare''..
        We are left with, who was being more accurate..several screams, or just a faint one..?
        Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
          She probably met a lot of sailors, but I shouldn't think she ever sailed the seas. I think you mean rickets :-). Although she would have been short in stature if she had had it.

C4
          I just pulled the name of a vitamin deficiency disease out of my ass.

Comment

It was my understanding that Elizabeth Pratter told the inquest that the cry of "murder" was in a faint voice, whereas contrastingly Lewis referred to a "scream" . If correct, this suggests to me that the sound may have emanated from nearer to Lewis' room, which was on the opposite side of the Court to Pratter's and Kelly's lodgings.

In fact, in one newspaper Lewis is quoted as saying that the sound seemed to come from the direction of McCarthy's shop (this makes sense as it was next door to the Keylors.)

Interestingly, Pratter claimed to have spoken to John McCarthy between 1:00 and 1:30, not that I'm a conspiracy theorist or anything!

Comment

Wasn't "Oh, murder," the Victorian version of "Oh, crap," or "Oh, balls"? It didn't mean someone had necessarily encountered a murder. It could mean you dropped something on your foot.

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                Mrs Prater told the inquest, that she was awakened by a faint cry of ''Oh Murder'' asked to describe she said ''Like awaken from a nightmare''..
                We are left with, who was being more accurate..several screams, or just a faint one..?
                Richard.
                Hello Richard

Now I see that what I have been reading are witness statements taken on 9th November and kept with the inquest papers. Nevertheless, I would have thought that what she said on the ninth would be more accurate than what she said on the twelfth, the events being clearer in her mind then.

And it would be quite a coincidence if she were to wake from a nightmare about being murdered at precisely the time the doctors estimated her time of death.

Best wishes
                C4

Comment

Hi C4..
                  It would be a coincidence indeed, as for the medical opinion on T.O.D, this was 1888, and witnesses would have played a part in estimation..
                  Someone cries out at 4.am..good enough..
                  Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
                    I just pulled the name of a vitamin deficiency disease out of my ass.
                    Hello Rivkah

To be honest Mary wasn't likely to have had rickets either, having grown up in the Welsh countryside :-). It is telling, though, that the two tallest victims were the ones who had grown up in the country.

Best wishes
                    C4

Comment

Hello Rivkah

To be honest Mary wasn't likely to have had rickets either, having grown up in the Welsh countryside :-). It is telling, though, that the two tallest victims were the ones who had grown up in the country.

Best wishes
                      C4
                      Actually, she was more likely to show effects of scurvy than rickets, since rickets pretty much strikes children, when their bones are growing, and adults are less susceptible because their needs for D and calcium are less. Everyone needs C pretty much equally, and of all the deficiency diseases, scurvy can show up the quickest, because humans can't store vitamin C. Ran this by my husband, who is a biologist.

Comment

Vomit

Hello all

This struck me in the middle of the night. If Mary vomited at 8 in the morning, would there have been remains of the meal she had eaten still in her stomach?

Best wishes
                        C4

Comment

Hello all

This struck me in the middle of the night. If Mary vomited at 8 in the morning, would there have been remains of the meal she had eaten still in her stomach?

Best wishes
                          C4
                          Possibly.

I know I have vomited, had nothing to eat and vomited again a few hours later, you don't always empty your stomach.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                            Hi Abby, I'm rather glad you have started this thread because it allows me to get something off my chest that I've wanted to say for some months.

There is, as you know, a theory that Mrs Maxwell might have seen Mary Jane Kelly's (male) killer emerging from her lodging dressed in her clothes.

I have always thought this to be very unlikely if not utterly ridiculous.
                            haha. That's exactly how it happens in the novel I'm writing. The killer pretended to be a cop disguised as a woman. His own women's clothe were soaked in blood, so he burned them and took MJK's.
                            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Also, I remember reading somewhere that Mrs Maxwell had poor eyesight.

Anyone read that in a credible source?
                              Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                              - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                Possibly.

I know I have vomited, had nothing to eat and vomited again a few hours later, you don't always empty your stomach.
                                You can vomit what is in your stomach, but not upper GI tract as well.

But yeah, you can spew up just liquid, or you can really toss up everything-- solids as well. I just had a recent bout with a stomach virus.

Comment

Working...
                                X