Witnesses Who Are Suspects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witnesses Who Are Suspects

Of course there is Cross/Lechmere and Hutch.

I always thought Richardson was interesting because he can be placed at the crime scene with a knife. He could have lied about the time and the knife produced at the inquest.

Others?

You can add Joe Barnett & Joseph Levy as being identified as potential suspects, along with Michael Kidney, Robert Mann & I think McCarthy was a brief suggestion at one point.
    Not all as Jack the Ripper though, some as just responsible for a single killing.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I'm surprised that Schwartz or Dimshitz have never been floated as suspects.

Comment

Cadosh the Ripper is my fav.
        Wasn't Watkins suspected as well ? and Bowyer/McCarthy ?

Comment

Unofficial suspects

I believe Israel Schwartz saw the murderers of Liz Stride.
          J. Best & John Gardner, both witnessed Liz in the company of a ‘well dressed’ man. Could it be that having made the assumption that the man had money be a motive to kill Liz? They said they were surprised that this man was expressing an interest in Stride, maybe they thought she might have earned some good money. I find it weird that they never went to the police or attended an inquest, but instead reported it to the newspaper, which raises the question; did the newspapers pay money for a story back then? I don’t think Liz was a ripper suspect

The letter that was sent to Norfolk from address 14 Dorset Street, suggesting there was going to be ’a murder between the two piers Britannia and wellington’ (there was two bars on either side of Dorset street) and it also said ‘lets hope the Norfolk police can do a better job then the London police’ sent a week before the death of MJK, makes me think there may have been some policemen involved, maybe a cover up of some kind.

Catherine Eddowes: could Police Sergeant James George Byfield, have anything to do with her murder. He was on duty when Eddowes was brought in. There are also time discrepancies in P.C Longs story.

It is also worth pointing out that killer knew the surveillance routes that were taken by the police.

Comment

Originally posted by Natasha View Post
            I believe Israel Schwartz saw the murderers of Liz Stride.
            Hi Natasha.
            If you read Insp. Swanson's report he admits there was sufficient time after Schwartz left for Stride to approach, or be approached by, another man.

J. Best & John Gardner, both witnessed Liz in the company of a ‘well dressed’ man. Could it be that having made the assumption that the man had money be a motive to kill Liz? They said they were surprised that this man was expressing an interest in Stride, maybe they thought she might have earned some good money. I find it weird that they never went to the police or attended an inquest,
            Due to the lack of police files we cannot say that the police did not speak to Best & Gardner. The sighting was probably too early to be of interest to the Coroner. The police did monitor the press for leads, there is a specific reference to this in the files. And, one press cutting was filed away among the papers. We can't say for sure how it got there but it exists.

It is also worth pointing out that killer knew the surveillance routes that were taken by the police.
            Surveillance routes?
            Do you mean police beats?

Whether he did or not we cannot know, but it was in the interest of the Unfortunates to know when a copper will be around and when he won't.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

mum

Hello Barnaby. This is an interesting topic.

Richardson could indeed have lied about one, the other or both. But then why bring any of it up in the first place? Why not remain mum?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

both

Hello Damaso. Actually, BOTH have.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Surveillance routes?
                  Do you mean police beats?

Whether he did or not we cannot know, but it was in the interest of the Unfortunates to know when a copper will be around and when he won't.
                  Hi Wickerman,

Yes I did mean beats

I suppose it would be in the interest of unfortunates to know when a copper is and isn't around

Comment

I can't remember but, Were Long and Halse appointed to their new beats of Mitre square etc because of Liz Strides murder?

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      Hello Barnaby. This is an interesting topic.

Richardson could indeed have lied about one, the other or both. But then why bring any of it up in the first place? Why not remain mum?

Cheers.
                      LC
                      Perhaps he was afraid he was spotted a reason to be there. But if this were true then I'd highly doubt he'd volunteer the info that he had a knife. So he probably isn't our man.

Comment

I can't remember but, Were Long and Halse appointed to their new beats of Mitre square etc because of Liz Strides murder?
                        Natasha,

Simple answer...No. Stride was found murdered the same night/morning PC Long began his first shift at that particular beat. Halse was a Detective, not a beat cop.

Cheers
                        DRoy

Comment

Originally posted by DRoy View Post
                          Natasha,

Simple answer...No. Stride was found murdered the same night/morning PC Long began his first shift at that particular beat. Halse was a Detective, not a beat cop.

Cheers
                          DRoy
                          My bad for getting that wrong

Why did the police not switch up their beats?
                          It would make sense to do so, especially as the killer apparently knew their beats.

Comment

G'day Natasha

My bad for getting that wrong

Why did the police not switch up their beats?
                            It would make sense to do so, especially as the killer apparently knew their beats.
                            What do you mean switch up?
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              What do you mean switch up?
                              Hi GUT,

I meant why did the police not change their routes, straight after Liz's death?

I know it has been mentioned else where that the police did change their beats every now and then, but I feel it silly not to have arranged new beats for the police, especially that of P.C Long immediately after Liz's death

That would have made it a little difficult for the killer, if indeed he knew the police beats, to operate without been possibly seen

Of course if some of the police were involved with the murder, then I guess this question would be redundant

Comment

Working...
                              X