If I were the killer…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I were the killer…

So my hypothetical question is - “if I were considering setting out on a series of murders in 1888 what might I consider doing to reduce my chances of being suspected or caught?”

I’m not suggesting for a minute that the ripper (whoever he was) used any of my suggestions, or any suggestions that others might make, but they might be worth considering when we look at witness descriptions, as we often do. We can’t know how intelligent the ripper was but it’s reasonable to suggest that (perhaps along with a level of luck) he would have had a level of cunning. At least some sense of self-preservation to allow him to remain free to continue killing. He remained unidentified after all. Many of my suggestions are obvious but I’ll list them:

I’d only be active in areas where I wasn’t known. It’s one thing for a witness to give a rough description but it’s a different ball game if they said “he looked just like the man who owns the butchers shop on the Whitechapel Road.”

I’d change my looks. Beard, no beard, moustache and no beard, moustache and beard, glasses, no glasses etc.

I’d change my clothing. Cap, deerstalker, bowler hat, long coat, short coat, scarf, no scarf etc.

I’d wear clothing that could alter my build if possible. It’s surprisingly easy, with a few extra layers, how a slim man might appear as a stocky man.

I’d adopt a limp. Yes, it sounds a bit ‘imaginative’ but it’s not difficult to do and imagine if two witnesses at different murders said that they saw a man with a woman (who they were convinced was the victim) and that the man had a limp? Remember Wearside Jack. The police were convinced that the killer had a Geordie accent. Why couldn’t they become convinced that their killer had a limp?

I’d adopt an accent. If I was interrupted or if I was heard talking to a victim by a passerby then “..the man had a Scottish accent” might have provided a convenient distraction for the police, especially if two different witnesses heard this ‘accent.’

I’d use locations with the lowest chance of interruptions if possible. (Yes, it’s an obvious point I know)

I’d use different weapons. Accepted that today we are far more familiar with police/medical methods of detection and that it would be unlikely that your average Whitechapel dweller would have been aware that Doctor’s can describe a weapon from the wounds.

I’d take items from the victims, preferably with a bit of blood on them, and drop them in locations that were in the opposite direction to where I lived. A false trail.

I’d remove my coat to perform the mutilations so that any blood that I got on my clothing would be concealed when I put my coat back on.

I wouldn’t proceed with a murder if attention had been drawn to me in the company of a potential victim.

I wouldn’t commit a murder within a short time of having to be somewhere where there are other people to ensure that I had time to fully check myself for blood before being in company.

I’d consider using letters. I’d include details that only the killer would know but I’d add a misleading fact or two.

….

These suggestions aren’t to prove or disprove any suspect or theory. I’m merely trying to suggest how easy it would be to mislead witnesses and the police and how precautions might have been taken.

I’d be interested to hear thoughts and suggestions.
    Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 06-15-2024, 09:35 AM.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

A comprehensive list, and all of them would be effective to some degree. However, I wonder if he would have had access to a wide rang of apparel. I suspect that Jack would have been among the poorer strata of London, and popping out to buy half a dozen hats could have been well beyond his means.

Comment

Originally posted by Tel View Post
      A comprehensive list, and all of them would be effective to some degree. However, I wonder if he would have had access to a wide rang of apparel. I suspect that Jack would have been among the poorer strata of London, and popping out to buy half a dozen hats could have been well beyond his means.
      That’s a good point Tel. An average, local man would hardly have had an extensive wardrobe.

As an ‘out there’ suggestion…what about someone who worked in music hall? Stop laughing
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Except that we also have to consider the idea of the Ripper as a Jekyll and Hyde killer. If Hyde is calling the shots he simply might not have given a damn with his entire focus on the desire to kill.

c.d.

Comment

It's an interesting question, Herlock!

In addition to your comprehensive list above I would add:

1) I would wear black clothes to minimise the visibility of blood stains.

2) I would ideally find some kind of a secret location (lockup or abandoned building) where I could lay low, clean up and change clothes. I'm not sure how feasible this would actually be for most in reality however.

To be honest though, I see an element of compulsion in these killings (although to exactly what extent is impossible to say).

I'm not convinced that the killer went out each night with the specific aim of murder / mutilation (or indeed thought to himself "I'm now going to embark on a series of murders. How will I execute this plan and avoid detection?").

The high risk nature of the locations look to me like the urge perhaps overcame him whilst he was going about his business (perhaps due to booze related disinhibition or simmering resentment towards women which boiled over after some perceived slight or provocation?).

I'm not convinced that he had a well conceived plan to execute the crimes and avoid detection, beyond simply not getting caught in the act or immediately afterwards splattered in "evidence".

Despite this I totally agree with your idea that he would not proceed with a murder if attention had been drawn to him in the company of a potential victim.

That's why I'm inclined to think BS man was not the killer (if indeed Stride is a Ripper victim).

I have always maintained that if I was investigating these crimes I'd have interviewed a multitude of East End unfortunates about their punters, and I'd have been particularly interested in any reports of aborted transactions and their circumstances.

Mere speculation on my part though.
          Last edited by Ms Diddles; 06-15-2024, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            Except that we also have to consider the idea of the Ripper as a Jekyll and Hyde killer. If Hyde is calling the shots he simply might not have given a damn with his entire focus on the desire to kill.

c.d.
            Yeah, I think the reality lies on a spectrum between meticulous planning and compulsion c.d.

I'm not sure exactly where on that spectrum the Ripper is, but my best guess would be kind of in the middle, but slightly towards the compulsion end (ie not the full Mr Hyde, but with elements of that).

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

c.d.
              That reminds me of the point that Tully made on his book on Kelly. As an escaped lunatic Kelly knew that if he’d been caught he wouldn’t have faced the gallows. It would have been back to Broadmoor for life. Added to that Kelly showed real signs of religious mania, believing that God had a plan for him and that he’d helped him escape. So someone like Kelly might have been less concerned about risk. Another killer might have had a similar outlook.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
                It's an interesting question, Herlock!

In addition to your comprehensive list above I would add:

1) I would wear black clothes to minimise the visibility of blood stains.

2) I would ideally find some kind of a secret location (lockup or abandoned building) where I could lay low, clean up and change clothes. I'm not sure how feasible this would actually be for most in reality however.

To be honest though, I see an element of compulsion in these killings (although to exactly what extent is impossible to say).

I'm not convinced that the killer went out each night with the specific aim of murder / mutilation (or indeed thought to himself "I'm now going to embark on a series of murders. How will I execute this plan and avoid detection?").

The high risk nature of the locations look to me like the urge perhaps overcame him whilst he was going about his business (perhaps due to booze related disinhibition or simmering resentment towards women which boiled over after some perceived slight or provocation?).

I'm not convinced that he had a well conceived plan to execute the crimes and avoid detection, beyond simply not getting caught in the act or immediately afterwards splattered in "evidence".

Despite this I totally agree with your idea that he would not proceed with a murder if attention had been drawn to him in the company of a potential victim.

That's why I'm inclined to think BS man was not the killer (if indeed Stride is a Ripper victim).

I have always maintained that if I was investigating these crimes I'd have interviewed a multitude of East End unfortunates about their punters, and I'd have been particularly interested in any reports of aborted transactions and their circumstances.

Mere speculation on my part though.
                Good points Ms D. I hadn’t thought of the killer having some kind of bolt hole which is a very real possibility imo. That last question is a great one that I hadn’t considered. Any punters who suddenly ‘changed their minds’ which might have been put down to him being unhappy about the circumstances. I’m guessing the the majority of men weren’t very particular.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tel View Post
                  Unless he made hats for a living

RD
                  "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

That’s a good point Tel. An average, local man would hardly have had an extensive wardrobe.

As an ‘out there’ suggestion…what about someone who worked in music hall? Stop laughing
                    Or someone associated with the theatre

RD

Comment

I would also make a customised weapon that could be easily be concealed as the hilt of an umbrella or walking stick.

Just like the Ripper did perhaps?

An umbrella or Walking Stick maker perhaps?

RD

Comment

Be a freemason.

Comment

Not sure how common black people where in London 1888 but get the old Black n White Mistrals show going might of helped... boot polish.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Yeah, I think the reality lies on a spectrum between meticulous planning and compulsion c.d.

I'm not sure exactly where on that spectrum the Ripper is, but my best guess would be kind of in the middle, but slightly towards the compulsion end (ie not the full Mr Hyde, but with elements of that).
                            Agree!

The notion of a perfect murder among the nobodies back then, or even now?

He had a certain methodology behind his crimes that didn't help,
                            but seemed to fit a grotesque aesthetic that was pleasing to him.

In a sense, there was some degree of meticulous planning behind that.

But it ran variant to a guy whose desire was just to kill and get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

I’d only be active in areas where I wasn’t known. It’s one thing for a witness to give a rough description but it’s a different ball game if they said “he looked just like the man who owns the butchers shop on the Whitechapel Road.”
                              These murders were all committed in roughly a one-mile square area, however it was densely populated. Just how far away from his residence/place of work would he have to go to be reasonably confident that he wouldn't be recognized? I think a person who operated a shop etc. on a main thoroughfare could not be confident. A loner, on the other hand, probably could walk around the corner and not be recognized.

Comment

Working...
                              X