Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Morgan - did he see The Ripper & Mary Ann Nichols just before the murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Morgan - did he see The Ripper & Mary Ann Nichols just before the murder?

I'm intrigued by an article in The Echo, printed the day after Nichol's murder. The reporter interviewed John Morgan, a coffee-stall keeper (interview reprinted in italics, below). His coffee stall was very near Bucks Row and he saw the couple at just the right time. I have not been able to find out any more about John Morgan, but if he was right about Mary Ann Nichols being with a man she called 'Jim', the name Jim is not dissimilar to the name Hyam. Does anyone know any other information about this 'John Morgan'? Did he go to the morgue? Did he contribute any more to the investigation?

"There is another point of some importance upon which the police rely. It is the statement of John Morgan, a coffee-stall keeper, who says that a woman, whose description answers to that given to him of the victim, called at his stall-three minutes' walk from Buck's-row-early yesterday morning. She was accompanied by a man whom she addressed as Jim. They appeared as if they had had a quarrel. The woman did all she could to pacify him. This morning our reporter had an interview with Mr. John Morgan, at the house where he lodges, 62, Oxford-street, near Bethnal-green-road. He said: It was half-past three or a quarter to four o'clock yesterday morning, when a woman, whom I knew was an immoral character, came to my stall and a man was with her. I am to-day to go to the mortuary before the inquest and see if I can identify her as the one who came there. Well, she was with a man, like a labourer, between 5ft. 4in. and 5ft. 6in. in height, with dark hair and short beard. He and the woman had words. Having had a cup of tea the woman said, "Come on, Jim, let's get home." Then they went away, and I did not think anything more of the occurrence until I heard of this dreadful affair at Buck's-row, near where it was. My stall is at the corner of Cambridge Heath-road. I have seen the woman several times, and could therefore identify her if she is the one I fancy it is. I did not hear any screams-at least, nothing to speak of."

Originally posted by chubbs View Post
    I'm intrigued by an article in The Echo, printed the day after Nichol's murder. The reporter interviewed John Morgan, a coffee-stall keeper (interview reprinted in italics, below). His coffee stall was very near Bucks Row and he saw the couple at just the right time. I have not been able to find out any more about John Morgan, but if he was right about Mary Ann Nichols being with a man she called 'Jim', the name Jim is not dissimilar to the name Hyam. Does anyone know any other information about this 'John Morgan'? Did he go to the morgue? Did he contribute any more to the investigation?

"There is another point of some importance upon which the police rely. It is the statement of John Morgan, a coffee-stall keeper, who says that a woman, whose description answers to that given to him of the victim, called at his stall-three minutes' walk from Buck's-row-early yesterday morning. She was accompanied by a man whom she addressed as Jim. They appeared as if they had had a quarrel. The woman did all she could to pacify him. This morning our reporter had an interview with Mr. John Morgan, at the house where he lodges, 62, Oxford-street, near Bethnal-green-road. He said: It was half-past three or a quarter to four o'clock yesterday morning, when a woman, whom I knew was an immoral character, came to my stall and a man was with her. I am to-day to go to the mortuary before the inquest and see if I can identify her as the one who came there. Well, she was with a man, like a labourer, between 5ft. 4in. and 5ft. 6in. in height, with dark hair and short beard. He and the woman had words. Having had a cup of tea the woman said, "Come on, Jim, let's get home." Then they went away, and I did not think anything more of the occurrence until I heard of this dreadful affair at Buck's-row, near where it was. My stall is at the corner of Cambridge Heath-road. I have seen the woman several times, and could therefore identify her if she is the one I fancy it is. I did not hear any screams-at least, nothing to speak of."
    Jim you say?
    Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
    JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post

Jim you say?
      Yes, Jim. It's in the newspaper article I quoted, if you read it. Why do you ask?

Comment

Yes, Jim. It's in the newspaper article I quoted, if you read it. Why do you ask?
        Here we go....

Comment

. Does anyone know any other information about this 'John Morgan'? Did he go to the morgue? Did he contribute any more to the investigation?
          Reynold's Newspaper, 2 September 1888.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reynolds 2 September.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	813670

Comment

He's thinking Jim as in James Maybrick. I might add that there's a certain James that killed his wife and escaped from a London lunatic asylum just before the Ripper murders began.

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Reynold's Newspaper, 2 September 1888.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reynolds 2 September.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	813670
              Thank you so much for that. I'd probably never have found it.

Comment

Working...
              X