Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was the best witness to have seen Jack the Ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'day cd

As for Fanny, what exactly was she staring at the whole time?
    Maybe she was just staring into space thinking how nice life would be if she lived somewhere descent.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunbury View Post
      Hi Caz, the core point about dear Fanny is that she saw nothing out of the ordinary, where as Schwartz saw dancing elephants in tutu's. No one can substantiate any of Schwartz's testimony at all. So he contributes absolutely nothing to JtR besides wasting everyone's time. The same can be said of Fanny to but her account seems the more honest. She doesn't place herself in the centre of a fantasy where she is the victim, she simply says she saw nothing.
      This is a terribly simplistic and naive summation, betraying a complete failure to grasp the significance of either statement. Apparently you possess greater knowledge and experience than the investigating officers who considered the Schwartz statement extremely important and all but ignored Mortimer's various stories. Mortimer, incidentally, did provide some information of value, if interpreted correctly. Of course, interpretation of the meager evidence we have is the key to reconstructing what happened between 12:30 and 1:00 that night.

John
      "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
      Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
        Its very revealing when a "Cadet" seems to grasp the obvious better than a senior member ....a reasonable overview Sunbury.

Sure.
        Reasonable overview? Hardly. With regard to the remainder of your message, it's obvious you're trying very hard to sell something, but I'm not sure just what. Admittedly, I haven't gone back over your earlier posts, but can you state simply and briefly what you believe happened that night and the evidence that you rely on? No need to justify anything; I'd just like know where you're coming from.

John
        "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
        Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunbury View Post
          Hi Caz, the core point about dear Fanny is that she saw nothing out of the ordinary, where as Schwartz saw dancing elephants in tutu's. No one can substantiate any of Schwartz's testimony at all. So he contributes absolutely nothing to JtR besides wasting everyone's time. The same can be said of Fanny to but her account seems the more honest. She doesn't place herself in the centre of a fantasy where she is the victim, she simply says she saw nothing.
          Actually Marshall, possibly the PC and Lawendes all corroborate Schwartz in that they all describe a suspect with a peaked cap.

Anyway Eye witness testimony does not need to be corroborated to be valid in a court of law or useful in police investigations. Many a criminal has been put away based on uncorronorated eye witness testimony.

It is fanny who actually contributes nothing. Well she saw Goldstien and his shiny black bag. I'll give her that.

And do you think a foreigner , a jew, new to a country is going to lie in a huge murder investigation jeopardizing, his family his freedom his life? No way in hell.

Comment

• I fail to see how Schwartz is somehow at fault because no one else can substantiate his account
            I am similarly bemused.
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• With regard to watches and clocks, the individual in question has to be looking at them in order for them to relay the necessary information. Just because you are in possession of a watch or have access to a clock doesn't necessarily mean that you know what time it is.

c.d.

Comment

• "And do you think a foreigner , a jew, new to a country is going to lie in a huge murder investigation jeopardizing, his family his freedom his life? No way in hell."

I can only think of my reaction if I had been asked to take one for the team like Schwartz did according to some posters. It would have involved telling those making the request to stick it in a particular orifice.

c.d.

Comment

• G'day c.d.

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  With regard to watches and clocks, the individual in question has to be looking at them in order for them to relay the necessary information. Just because you are in possession of a watch or have access to a clock doesn't necessarily mean that you know what time it is.

c.d.
                  They also have to be set to the correct time, and keep time.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
                    Reasonable overview? Hardly. With regard to the remainder of your message, it's obvious you're trying very hard to sell something, but I'm not sure just what. Admittedly, I haven't gone back over your earlier posts, but can you state simply and briefly what you believe happened that night and the evidence that you rely on? No need to justify anything; I'd just like know where you're coming from.

John
                    My post Dr John was to support the notion that; Israel Schwartz has zero corroboration for his story within any other witness account, and Fanny Mortimer has the advantage of access to a clock and corroboration for her story, based on her seeing Leon Goldstein pass the club at the same time he said he did when giving his statement on that Tuesday night. As for the "tutus" element of his remarks I personally agree with cd that the incident sounds more like a typical street whore-client interaction...problem here is that Berner Street was not typically on a "whores" route, we do not have any evidence that the woman was soliciting,.. and again, we don't have any corroboration.

To catch you up to my concerns with Israel, Morris and Louis of the International Club, aside from the fact that none have any corroboration for their stories, my concern is this....within 1 hour of the murder the occupants of the club property were interviewed, and immediately after that they gave the first press interviews about their recollections. 3 club members gave statements that put them in the passageway by the dying woman before 12:45, and 1 outside witness does as well. The 3 witnesses from the club were inside and called out, so they had access to the time inside the club. Fanny had access to the time in her house, and she stated with accuracy that she saw someone pass the gates at around 12:55, verifying her assertion that she stood at her door to the street continuously from 12:50 until 1am.

None of those witnesses had any role of responsibility for what happened on that property that night. The steward would, and perhaps the speaker that night. 2 men with stories that conflict with the aforementioned witnesses. And without corroberation....in fact, by virtue of Fannys accurate account of the passer by at 12:55, it could be stated since she saw nothing else on that street or heard nothing at that time,....that her statement proves Louis was not arriving at 1am promptly...as he stated. Again, she had a time reference.

People who are responsible for actions at the club portray the accidental finding of the body at just after 1am, 5 witnesses who have nothing to do with the clubs operations disagreed with that timing.

Since this thread is supposed to be about who saw Jack, the point in this case is moot...its very unlikely that Liz Stride was killed by a multiple mutilator anyway, so any witness in this murder case is unlikely "the best" to have seen Jack.

Cheers
                    Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      They also have to be set to the correct time, and keep time.
                      The club knew exactly when the meeting started and broke up, indicating the clock was used, and one witness who stated her saw the woman and Louis by her at around 12:40 had just arrived back at the club at half past twelve. "I arrived back at half past 12 and about 10 minutes later was summoned by Louis to the passageway." He also said Louis sent him out alone to get help....when by their remarks, only Louis and Morris and some other members went. And after 1am. The witness claimed he returned to the scene just in time to see Eagle and the fetched policeman moving toward the gates.

I wont address the issue of setting the time correctly, or whether all timepieces were universally synched,..but I will say that 4 witnesses who disagreed with Louis and Lave and Morris remarks all had access to clocks where they were at that time. Brown, Louis, Israel, Morris and Lave, did not.

Cheers GUT
                      Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                        As to your point concerning times Caz, Brown, Schwartz, Diemshutz, Eagle and Lave were not wearing watches, and Kozebrodski, Gillen, Heschberg and Mortimer were in dwellings........... with clocks. I don't hold anyone accountable to a minute or 2...
                        You could have fooled me, Mike.

...its just a fact that using Kozebrodski's, Gillen's, Spooner's and Heschberg's remarks.... that same morning.... it appears they all were standing by the dying woman between 12:35 and approximately 12:45....
                        It's just a 'fact' that using certain people's 'remarks' it 'appears'...??

That's that then. Very persuasive.

...and using Fannys remarks, no cart and horse were seen or heard approaching the gates between 12:50 and 1am...
                        Nor between 12.35 and 12.45, when you would have Louis D arriving, so Fanny M clearly could have missed Schwartz and co too, by your own reckoning. Something you consistently fail to reconcile.

And since Louis D put his own arrival at 1am, Fanny M could have been indoors by then to hear him go past, having missed sight of him by just a minute or two, but remembering the interval as more like four minutes. So you do hold her 'accountable to a minute or two'.

As you can see, the evidence contrary to Louis, Eagle and Lave, and Israel is right there in print, and its not a matter of a minute or two in deviation.....for Louis to have told the truth at the Inquest Issac , Heschberg, Spooner and Gillen would all have to be wrong by about the same amount....20 minutes.

4 witnesses, 3 from a club with a clock, are out by 20 minutes? When one of them had just marked his return to the club by checking the clock and verifying it was half past twelve?

Sure.
                        But where does it all lead, Mike? Why do you think Louis D deliberately and unilaterally put the time of discovery forward to 1am, if he knew very well it was a lie and, more to the point, a useless and risky lie if others were just going to spill the beans anyway?

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        Last edited by caz; 05-15-2014, 09:16 AM.
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Posted from another thread:

So even these folk who have access to clocks and watches...mostly in need of frequent resetting owing to their cheap nature - from what source do they reset them?

There is no radio...no TV...if they reset them from the local church clock, from where does that timing originate? Actually that timing usually originated from the next church down until you reached "Big Ben" - so how accurate is the next church down? How long since the verger bothered to clamber up all those stairs and adjusted the mrchanism?

It's only about ten years on from when the railways adopted a standardised London time via the Electric Telegraph...you think the rest of the nation caught up with the new technology straight away?
                          ALL timings in the LVP have to be treated with great caution.

Some folk brought up in this era, (AND their children), tended to view time in a far more fluid sense than would be viewed as normal now...My grandfather (born 1885) apparently often used to turn up for work, up to an hour early - because he didn't regard the family clock as accurate enough to prevent him being sacked...

Into the nineteen sixties my grandmother used to judge time by the nearby railway rather than trust the (pretty accurate) clock which was one of grandad's retirement presents...if the BBC time differed from "railway time" she tended to trust the latter rather than the former...she can't have been a lone eccentric survivor...

Even basing time on an estimate of minutes passed since a reliable timing is pretty iffy, isn't it? Try putting your family into a clockless/watchless room and asking them to estimate when twenty minutes have passed...you'll be amazed...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post

Into the nineteen sixties my grandmother used to judge time by the nearby railway rather than trust the (pretty accurate) clock which was one of grandad's retirement presents...if the BBC time differed from "railway time" she tended to trust the latter rather than the former...she can't have been a lone eccentric survivor...
                            That reply of yours to Michael, you took the words right out of my mouth, almost word for word.

Yes, when I was a nipper, some of the old dears in the street judged time by normal everyday events, like when the milkman arrived, it must be 8 o'clock, or when her neighbour came home from work, it must be 5 o'clock.
                            One lady didn't bother with her clock she couldn't stand the 'ticking' noise.
                            Everyone got by, old habits die hard...
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• This nonsense about "Michaels timing fixation" is a useless rebuttal to any post I might make on the subject since its a matter of record that 4 witnesses place the dead body in the passageway before 12:45am.

What some of you are inferring, that we cannot accept witness times to the minute, suggests that some of you believe that all 4 of these witnesses were off on their times by over 20 minutes,.. since that's the discrepancy with Louis's arrival time as stated. To assume such a thing is simply silly, and hardly useful in search of the truth.

Im sorry if this seems contrite, but I have to laugh out loud when I read that Louis Diemshitz is not to be questioned, when we already have those witness statements as a direct refutation of his claim, and not a single corroborating account of Louis's arrival at the club.

But believe what you want, no-one said that anyone here must follow actual solid evidence to form their conclusions, hell, half the posters seem to be second guessing about who could tell time at all. A conclusion by the contemporary police and modern theorists that a Jack the Ripper killed a Canonical Group of women is merely a guess too...so I suppose the company is good.

Cheers
                              Last edited by Michael W Richards; 05-19-2014, 02:05 PM.
                              Michael Richards

Comment

• G'day Michael

The club knew exactly when the meeting started and broke up, indicating the clock was used, and one witness who stated her saw the woman and Louis by her at around 12:40 had just arrived back at the club at half past twelve. "I arrived back at half past 12 and about 10 minutes later was summoned by Louis to the passageway." He also said Louis sent him out alone to get help....when by their remarks, only Louis and Morris and some other members went. And after 1am. The witness claimed he returned to the scene just in time to see Eagle and the fetched policeman moving toward the gates.
                                I have no doubt the club had the right time, or close to, nor that most of the Church clocks were close, but it still comes down to:

1. How long since the witness looked at it AND
                                2. If the witness was working from their own timepiece, how long since they had set it and how accurate it was.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X