Matthew Packer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Packer

I am a relative of witness Matthew Packer and have always been concerned by some of the inaccurate facts printed about him.

Contrary to popular belief, he did have children (Five) by a first marriage/liaison with an Ann Sarah Purdey. If he didn’t, I wouldn’t be here.

Matthew Packer and Ann Sarah Purdey are my 3rd Great Grandparents. His fifth child Louisa Ann Packer was born in 1860 in Whitechapel and is my 2nd Great Grandmother

All his children were born prior to his marriage to Rose Ann Wallis in 1867.

I can provide fact / information about Matthew Packer from his family tree that may give more insight into him as a witness.

The link between the Casebook and the Wiki also currently seems to be broken.

Hi Andypc,

Welcome to the boards.

I'm fascinated by Matthew Packer and his link to the case. Some people think he was an unreliable witness because he supposedly changed his times he sold grapes to JTR and Elizabeth Stride.

Some authors (Bruce Robinson, Colin Kendell, and I believe Simon Wood(?)) believe the police changed his times for him! I.e. it was the police who, er, were "unreliable" and not MP!

I suspect opinion is split on MP's reliability as a witness. I'm firmly in the same camp as BR btw.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions and any background info you want to share.

Martyn

Comment

Ditto.

Welcome.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Hi Andypc,

Nice to have a real life relative of someone who was directly involved in the case on board.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by Andypc View Post
          I am a relative of witness Matthew Packer and have always been concerned by some of the inaccurate facts printed about him.

Contrary to popular belief, he did have children (Five) by a first marriage/liaison with an Ann Sarah Purdey. If he didn’t, I wouldn’t be here.

Matthew Packer and Ann Sarah Purdey are my 3rd Great Grandparents. His fifth child Louisa Ann Packer was born in 1860 in Whitechapel and is my 2nd Great Grandmother

I can provide fact / information about Matthew Packer from his family tree that may give more insight into him as a witness.

Andy, welcome, and it's good to meet you. I've written rather extensively - more than most, in fact - on all matters Berner Street, including much on Mr. Packer. If I've made any errors, I'm always most happy to be corrected.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post

Andy, welcome, and it's good to meet you. I've written rather extensively - more than most, in fact - on all matters Berner Street, including much on Mr. Packer. If I've made any errors, I'm always most happy to be corrected.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
            It's nice to meet you around here too, Tom.

I really enjoyed your books.

It's a while since I read them, but I remember your take on the Emma Smith murder (which I'd always discounted as being the work of JtR) gave me pause for thought! ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

It's nice to meet you around here too, Tom.

I really enjoyed your books.

It's a while since I read them, but I remember your take on the Emma Smith murder (which I'd always discounted as being the work of JtR) gave me pause for thought! ​​​​​​​
              Always great to see you, Diddles! I fondly recall the kind words you had for the books upon their publication. Much appreciated.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post

Always great to see you, Diddles! I fondly recall the kind words you had for the books upon their publication. Much appreciated.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

I don't think I was posting on here when your books were first released, Tom.

I think I may have referenced them and given them a thumbs up on one of the threads ages ago (although I can't now recall the context).

Maybe another poster with a Diddles related name?

Comment

Welcome Andy. I am sure I am not alone in saying we look forward to hearing more from you.

Regards, Gary
                  Why a four-year-old child could understand this report! Run out and find me a four-year-old child, I can't make head or tail of it.

Comment

Thanks for you messages. Here is some further information.

This is the Census from 1861 showing Matthew Packer living with Ann Sarah Purdey and their children including Louisa Ann Packer.

This is the marriage certificate of Matthew Packers and Rose Ann Wallis in 1867

This is a Picture of my 2nd Great Grandmother Louisa Ann Packer (Matthew Packers fifth child)

​​
                    This is the marriage certificate of Louisa Ann Packer to Henry Benjamin Archer in 1878 showing Matthew Packer as the brides father.

Last edited by Andypc; 04-04-2023, 01:00 PM.

Comment

welcome ro the nut house!

Comment

This is a picture of a polar bear in a snowstorm

Comment

Thanks for you messages. Here is some further information.

This is the Census from 1861 showing Matthew Packer living with Ann Sarah Purdey and their children including Louisa Ann Packer.

This is the marriage certificate of Matthew Packers and Rose Ann Wallis in 1867

This is a Picture of my 2nd Great Grandmother Louisa Ann Packer (Matthew Packers fifth child)

​​
                          This is the marriage certificate of Louisa Ann Packer to Henry Benjamin Archer in 1878 showing Matthew Packer as the brides father.

Hi Andy, unless I'm the only one not seeing them, the pictures didn't load. This is a tough page to load pics on. They have to meet certain requirements if I recall.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Herlock is the goto techie around here...

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X