X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

i misread the original, sorry.
    Yes so let me correct, shortest routes only this time

At 3.5mph it's between 19 and 22 minutes from Browns yard to Eldon street entrance at Pickfords

At 5mph it's between a shade under 14 - about 15 minutes

David Orsam said he managed it via Hanbury Street in 13 minutes 30 seconds

Sorry for that.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Did you establish that Pickfords used the Eldon Street entrance as opposed to the one on Liverpool Street? I remember that being discussed at one time, but I can’t recall if a definitive (or most likely) answer was ever reached.

I once found an online reference to a worker connected to Broad Street Station who had died while at stables in Primrose Street. I tried to follow it up in the hope of discovering whether the man was an LNWR employee or Pickfords/Carter Patterson, but had no success.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Hi Steve,

Did you establish that Pickfords used the Eldon Street entrance as opposed to the one on Liverpool Street? I remember that being discussed at one time, but I can’t recall if a definitive (or most likely) answer was ever reached.

I once found an online reference to a worker connected to Broad Street Station who had died while at stables in Primrose Street. I tried to follow it up in the hope of discovering whether the man was an LNWR employee or Pickfords/Carter Patterson, but had no success.

Gary
      unfortunatly i could not confirm any of the other possible enterances, there were a couple, mentioned.
      all of those are a shorter distance , if memory recalls , so Eldon gives the longest distance. so safest to use.
      all of the alternatives are looked at in appendix 1, table 3 of inside Bucks Row.

Comment

I tried to check out the Primrose Street story when I first saw it and I believe there were stables nearer Norton Folgate, not connected to the railway, so it might have been there. I don't recall him mentioning they were railway connected, but was a long time ago.

There was an entrance in Applod Street and two on Worship street. There's couple more I found, but I don't know if they were in1888 or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1972 copy.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	764703
        dustymiller
        aka drstrange

Comment

Interestingly, when i went on a trainspotters site, a guy said the meat yards for Broad Street were in the Worship Street depot, but he didn't know when that first started. With all your meat contemplations over the years have you heard anything about that?
          dustymiller
          aka drstrange

Comment

The Eldon Street entrance was where the carts went in and out. It was really dangerous for pedestrians, so much so that someone took the company to court over it. The judge recommended that the company should look into building another entrance, but I could find out whether anything came of it. that was in the early 1880's I can't remember the exact date off hand.
            dustymiller
            aka drstrange

Comment

If Lechmere went to Worship Street, going down Hanbury Street makes perfect sense. Montague would be well out of his way.
              dustymiller
              aka drstrange

Comment

I knew I had one somewhere, here's a photo has the main Worship St entrance Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 8.51.35 pm.png
Views:	244
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	764710
                dustymiller
                aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                  I tried to check out the Primrose Street story when I first saw it and I believe there were stables nearer Norton Folgate, not connected to the railway, so it might have been there. I don't recall him mentioning they were railway connected, but was a long time ago.

There was an entrance in Applod Street and two on Worship street. There's couple more I found, but I don't know if they were in1888 or not.

Name:	IMG_1972 copy.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	764703
                  Hi Dusty,

I think I saw the Primrose Street Story on a Broad Street Station site/thread. I can’t remember now if it was explicitly stated that the deceased was personally connected to the Station.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

unfortunatly i could not confirm any of the other possible enterances, there were a couple, mentioned.
                    all of those are a shorter distance , if memory recalls , so Eldon gives the longest distance. so safest to use.
                    all of the alternatives are looked at in appendix 1, table 3 of inside Bucks Row.
                    Thanks, Steve.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	CA5327AF-8E56-48C6-8A14-D50434103788.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	764717
                      Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                      The Eldon Street entrance was where the carts went in and out. It was really dangerous for pedestrians, so much so that someone took the company to court over it. The judge recommended that the company should look into building another entrance, but I could find out whether anything came of it. that was in the early 1880's I can't remember the exact date off hand.

I think we may have discussed this before, and if so and I’ve forgotten your response, apologies!

What do you think was the purpose of the LNWR Goods Station (Broad Street) entrance from Liverpool Street?

Comment

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                        Interestingly, when i went on a trainspotters site, a guy said the meat yards for Broad Street were in the Worship Street depot, but he didn't know when that first started. With all your meat contemplations over the years have you heard anything about that?
                        No I haven’t. It may be have been that butcher’s and knacker’s meat were handled separately and you may remember the press account of a cart loaded with horseflesh in Liverpool Street.

Comment

• Anyone who's got the book can look at times from Doveton to some of those entrances.
                          I didn't include worship street, but I can add that to the next update perhaps.

Steve
                          Last edited by Elamarna; 08-06-2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Factual answer about Liverpool Street ... no idea.
                            Guess answer ... drop of/pick up area.

Name:	broad_street_charles_mavor(1975)25.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	764804
                            dustymiller
                            aka drstrange

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	A596F517-2EFB-4508-929C-516A40FB4747.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	94.2 KB ID:	764824 Hi Thanks Dusty.

It’s marked as a goods yard on one map I’ve seen, and goods station on another. The person who posted the photo above described it as being of the ‘stables’ at Broad Street.
                              Last edited by MrBarnett; 08-07-2021, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• The bottom of my picture of that states it's a "frieght station", which is why I think it might be for pick up and drop off for non Pickfords/Chaplin and Horne carts. Definitely not stables as there are rail cars in them.

dustymiller
                                aka drstrange

Comment

Working...
                                X