If Schwartz Lied ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

I wasn't aware that I had been on your back, but no, you have been commenting in bits and pieces for too long. Time to present your theory in full for peer appraisal.

Cheers, George
    Doesn't everyone here, comment in bits and pieces?

There is a theory in #2918 that Pipeman ended up in Dutfield's Yard. Why can't the peers appraise that, before demanding some over-arching theory?
    Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

• Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post

If Pipeman came toward Schwartz from the pub, just after Schwartz passes the gateway, then Schwartz would have 'exited the scene' by doing a U-turn and heading straight back up Berner street. That is the opposite of what he claimed, and so this is possibly another reason for doubting that Pipeman = Knifeman.
      But nowhere does it say that Pipeman comes towards Schwartz "just after Schwartz passes the gateway", and since Schwartz didn't do what you presume he would have, you're just rejecting something that hasn't been put forth. Moreover, it doesn't address the options that Schwartz is further along, etc. None of this leads to there being "knifeman", and nowhere other than the Star report is there any evidence of knifeman. None of the police records ever mention knifeman, and the Star version that includes knifeman reads like a distorted version of what Schwartz told the police, except the pipe becomes a knife, and a few other details get altered. Knifeman is pipeman with distortion and so far there's no support or evidence to the contrary.

If he just heads off, there is no man to run behind Schwartz - apparently following him - who ends his run prior to Schwartz reaching the railway arch. If this is correct, then Pipeman never followed behind Schwartz, and yet, according to Schwartz there was no other man on the street who was in a position to do this. So who was following Schwartz, as far as he was concerned? Was it The Phantom Menace?
      And Pipeman may never have actually followed Schwartz anywhere. Schwartz was clearly unsettled by the events, and he presumed pipeman was coming after him. He may never actually have checked until he was well away from the area, at which point he would then think "ok, he didn't follow me this far", failing to realise that pipeman never followed him at all.

Look, if Schwartz actually saw Pipeman running behind him for some distance, then when Abberline asked if Lipski could have been shouted at Schwartz, then Schwartz would have said No, he was clearly calling to the fellow who chased me half way down Fairclough (or where ever) before he finally gave up chase. But Schwartz backs down, and becomes unsure, because when confronted with the idea that maybe pipeman was just a bystander, Schwartz appears to realise he hadn't considered that but admitted it was entirely possible.

- Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

It is the Schwartz story so I don't understand this? It's like if I said I had a sandwich for lunch, and someone says "Jeff ate a sandwhich", to then say their statement doesn't make sense if you believe me?
        We must be on different pages with this. All I'm saying is that the marginal note writer had his own opinion on the Berner street murderer, and having read Swanson's report, he wasn't about to change that opinion to make it work with Schwartz's story. On the contrary, the mention of Lipski only reinforced his belief, which pre-dated any knowledge of Schwartz.

Shortly before that the Dr is giving his opinion that Stride was seized by the shoulders and placed on the ground, so the question from the foreman could easily have been prompted by that as well.
        Even if it were just a coincidence that it sounds just like Schwartz's throw-down claim, the result is that Phillips believed it reasonable to suppose that the cachous would not have remained in the hand, had she been thrown to the ground.

We disagree on that. I put more credence in the statement Schwartz gave to the police, which involves Pipeman, than the story reported in the press involving knifeman.
        As most people do. However, that means supposing that Pipeman ran along behind Schwartz, for whatever reason, but no one witnessed that either. Either that, or Pipeman just strolled off, and Schwartz was followed by The Phantom Menace. The later would arguably suggest that Schwartz was not of sound mind. The other issue with belief in Pipeman, is that Wess claimed to have been given the name of the man who did the chasing. Accepting Wess at his word, that he couldn't remember that man's name, arguably suggests that Pipeman believers are being naive.

You would have to ask Abberline why he supposed that, all I know is that he did.
        What I would ask Abberline, is why he believed the story he was given, if so much interpretation was involved in making sense of it.

I think I can drink 50 pints in an hour. I can think anything I want, but that doesn't make it true. People thinking they would have heard a sound doesn't mean they really should have. There was singing and so forth going on the club, so lots of reasons why their belief about what they would or would not have heard is a far cry from a "terrible blow" to anything.
        These witnesses would have taken the singing and talking into account, when coming to the conclusion that they would have heard any screams or cries for help. Also, these are people who would have been well attuned to the acoustics of the area.

FM: It was almost incredible to me that the thing could have been done without the steward's wife hearing a noise, for she was sitting in the kitchen, from which a window opens four yards from the spot where the woman was found.

So you think the woman Schwartz sees was Isaac Zozebrodsky? This is really getting fascinating as I admit, I didn't see that one coming.

- Jeff
        The man tried to pull the woman into the street, but he turned her round & threw her down on the footway & the woman screamed three times, but not very loudly.

The reason the man tried to pull the 'woman' into the street, is that 'she' was blocking the entrance to the yard. The reason the man apparently failed to pull the woman into the street, is that the 'woman' had balls.

Comment

We must be on different pages with this. All I'm saying is that the marginal note writer had his own opinion on the Berner street murderer, and having read Swanson's report, he wasn't about to change that opinion to make it work with Schwartz's story. On the contrary, the mention of Lipski only reinforced his belief, which pre-dated any knowledge of Schwartz.
          The note writer commented that calling of Lipski to pipeman reinforced his belief the offender was jewish - And Schwartz is the one that suggested Lipski was directed at Pipeman implying that at least one, and by implication probably both, offenders were Jewish. Therefore, the note writer is agreeing with Schwartz, and clearly it all post-dates Schwartz.

Even if it were just a coincidence that it sounds just like Schwartz's throw-down claim, the result is that Phillips believed it reasonable to suppose that the cachous would not have remained in the hand, had she been thrown to the ground.
          He agrees it is an inference that could be drawn, but he doesn't actually say he himself agrees with it. That being said, he doesn't point away from that conclusion in any way either so I agree it probably was his opinion. That leaves us with the odd situation that the Doctor does indicate she was put to the ground roughly enough to leave bruises, but he cannot account for the cachous. They are strange, so either they were placed there by the killer after she was dead, or she somehow held on to them despite that being hard to imagine. Murder scenes do sometimes have weird anomalies to them and this may be one of those. So far, however, I've not seen a good account for how she can be killed on the ground (also the opinion of the doctors at the time due to the lack of blood on her clothes and the lack of spurting higher up the wall) and yet be holding the cachous.

As most people do. However, that means supposing that Pipeman ran along behind Schwartz, for whatever reason, but no one witnessed that either. Either that, or Pipeman just strolled off, and Schwartz was followed by The Phantom Menace. The later would arguably suggest that Schwartz was not of sound mind. The other issue with belief in Pipeman, is that Wess claimed to have been given the name of the man who did the chasing. Accepting Wess at his word, that he couldn't remember that man's name, arguably suggests that Pipeman believers are being naive.
          No, it means Pipeman may never have actually chased Schwartz. The chasing was Schwartz's interpretation, that Pipeman was coming after him, leading to him interpreting Pipeman's movements as him chasing. The reality may simply have been Pipeman was heading away from the scene in the same direction, and Schwartz ran off without making a full assessment of the situation until he finally stops and notices Pipeman is no longer behind him. He then concludes Pipeman hadn't chased him all the way, rather than Pipeman hadn't chased him at all.

What I would ask Abberline, is why he believed the story he was given, if so much interpretation was involved in making sense of it.
          The events described are still important (who was the man assaulting Stride; who was pipeman as he's a potential witness or a potential suspect, etc) even if Schwartz's interpretations of the relationship between Pipeman and B.S. are wrong. Moreover, given the police did search for Lipski families, Abberline recognized his idea was simply an alternative to Schwartz's, he didn't dismiss Schwartz entirely and followed up the lead as given, and also followed up his own alternative idea. This is good police work.

These witnesses would have taken the singing and talking into account, when coming to the conclusion that they would have heard any screams or cries for help. Also, these are people who would have been well attuned to the acoustics of the area.

FM: It was almost incredible to me that the thing could have been done without the steward's wife hearing a noise, for she was sitting in the kitchen, from which a window opens four yards from the spot where the woman was found.
          Again, people's opinions about what they think they could or should have heard are just that, opinions. They didn't hear anything apparently, so despite their thinking they should have, the fact remains they didn't. It's not a problem, it just goes to show that people often have little idea about what they would have heard, or seen, or done. It's certainly not evidence against Schwartz's story no matter how strongly, or how many, believe they should have heard it.

The man tried to pull the woman into the street, but he turned her round & threw her down on the footway & the woman screamed three times, but not very loudly.

The reason the man tried to pull the 'woman' into the street, is that 'she' was blocking the entrance to the yard. The reason the man apparently failed to pull the woman into the street, is that the 'woman' had balls.
          I think I'll just leave it at that.

- Jeff

Comment

If Pipeman came toward Schwartz from the pub, just after Schwartz passes the gateway, then Schwartz would have 'exited the scene' by doing a U-turn and heading straight back up Berner street. That is the opposite of what he claimed, and so this is possibly another reason for doubting that Pipeman = Knifeman.
            Hi Andrew,

"just after Schwartz passes the gateway" is not when Pipeman came toward Schwartz from the pub. I was also initially confused as to why Schwartz would try to make his escape towards the perceived threat (Pipeman). The clue is in his statement to the Star. Schwartz had already crossed the road to the footpath on the eastern side of Berner St, away from BSman and Stride, and was proceeding south on that footpath. He told the Star that he had "just stepped off the kerb" when Pipeman made his move towards him. Since he was on the footpath on the eastern side of Berner St, the only kerb available for stepping off was when he was about to cross Fairclough St on his journey south. When Pipeman moved towards him he then bolted across Fairclough and south down Berner street with the threat of Pipeman/Knifeman behind him. There is no alternative that would not have him bolting toward the threat, and he confirmed this with his statement to the Star. My speculation is that Pipeman, on hearing the commotion from the gateway, emerges from the door way of the Nelson and sees a woman on the ground with a man near her yelling "Lipski" at a person of Jewish appearance on the opposite corner of the intersection. Pipeman mistakes Schwartz for an "intruder" that has assaulted the woman but has been interrupted by BSMan, and that Scwartz is endeavouring to make his escape. Pipeman says "What's going on here" and makes a move towards Schwartz, who bolts, and Pipeman follows him briefly, but then decides to find out what actually happened instead of pursuing him further. This is all pure conjecture of course, but it does fit the evidence and Schwartz's statement rather well.

Cheers, George
            Last edited by GBinOz; 04-06-2022, 06:24 AM.
            They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
            Out of a misty dream
            Our path emerges for a while, then closes
            Within a dream.
            Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

?? The fact that events happen in sequence is entirely independent on whether or not the events involve Schwartz or not - Schwartz is not the "all being master of time space and dimension" after all.

Any proposed theory about the events that happened on Berner Street must, therefore, have happened in a sequence. If a theory has a chance of being true, it must produce a coherent sequence. In order to examine a theory properly, the sequence of events needs to be evaluated.

Now, you have previously said that you do not have a big picture idea of what happened, and you appear to be focusing on isolated points in time and the events involved in those devoid of any connection to events that are not directly involved. That's fine, examining the details of the pieces that need to be arranged in sequence to produce a bigger picture is certainly something that needs to be done. However, given the limited amount of information we actually have to work with, examining individual pieces of the puzzle results in arguing ideas that become contradictory with ideas from other parts of the puzzle. The big picture sequence that George is asking for creates a structure which acts to introduce further constraints upon the details. Admittedly, this leaves less room for maneuvering, but that is actually a good thing not a bad thing. The more constraints upon our imaginations, which can find all sorts of amazing possibilities when left to its own devices, the better. It is the constraints upon our imaginations that funnel the flow of our thinking towards the true events. Our problem is that the minimal information we have may still be insufficient to guide that flow of thinking towards only one overall story, which means there may be multiple structures that emerge. Comparing the sequences that FrankO, George, and myself have put forth tend to result in very similar structures and order of events, with differences tending to reflect the details of the exact time. Those differences are either because Frank chose to be agnostic about the exact times and focused on the order, and George and I used different testimonies by which to attempt to synchronize the testified time, otherwise the orders we've come to independently tend to line up very well.
              Presumably I'm more of a bottom-up than top-down thinker. Regarding the impact of constraints, I had half hoped that the constraint of supposing that the search for a man named Lipski meant that Pipeman was never located, would have resulted in someone walking through the implications. So while my thinking may be somewhat unconstrained, it also seems that I'm in good company.

It is unclear what it is you are proposing though. As I've mentioned, sometimes Schwartz doesn't even exist (meaning he wasn't there on the night and the events he relays were fabricated), other times he does (so he was there and did see an altercation of some sort), and most recently you've suggested Stride was already dead when Schwartz arrives on the scene and the woman Schwartz saw was actually a man. Clearly Schwartz cannot both be and not be there, and the idea that if he was there he saw a man being thrown to the ground by B.S. is untenable.
              I don't recall ever saying "Schwartz was not there!". No doubt I've been accused of that more than once, but that doesn't mean I agree.

You've got Goldstein traversing along Berner Street twice, and at times you say Fanny was on her doorstep the whole time and at others she wasn't, and so forth.
              Fanny doesn't even say that herself, so why would I say it?

The various scattered posts and arguments you've presented do not seem to be connected with ideas and posts that come before and after, suggesting they are "ideas of the moment only". This makes it difficult to have a discussion over a period of time because it's always starting anew, and what was before now isn't. It's very Orwellian, with history changing in the present.
              It probably does seem like I'm often starting anew, but that is because the last idea did not generate any discussion. So I guess it often seems like I'm talking about things without sufficient context. In other words, it's everyone's fault but mine. LOL

I think George's request is a fair one as all he's asking for is clarification of your ideas. It may be that you do not see the conflict between things that we do because you've got them organized in a way that we are not picking up on.
              That's probably it!

By describing the totality of the events as you see them to have occurred will require they be ordered temporally, which is by definition, a sequence of events. Whether or not you choose to include Schwartz doesn't change the fact that a sequence has to emerge when you put all of your ideas together. And by doing that, it may help identify which of your ideas become mutually exclusive - where you can have one or the other but not both.

- Jeff
              I understand about ideas conflicting, but if George or anyone else wants to know what my position or best guess is on x, y, or z, they only need ask me. Except for my own benefit, I don't see why I need to write a thesis.

Comment

He agrees it is an inference that could be drawn, but he doesn't actually say he himself agrees with it. That being said, he doesn't point away from that conclusion in any way either so I agree it probably was his opinion. That leaves us with the odd situation that the Doctor does indicate she was put to the ground roughly enough to leave bruises, but he cannot account for the cachous. They are strange, so either they were placed there by the killer after she was dead, or she somehow held on to them despite that being hard to imagine. Murder scenes do sometimes have weird anomalies to them and this may be one of those. So far, however, I've not seen a good account for how she can be killed on the ground (also the opinion of the doctors at the time due to the lack of blood on her clothes and the lack of spurting higher up the wall) and yet be holding the cachous.
                Neither had I seen a good account, until I came across the sitting down before attacked theory
                Placing the hands close to the ground, sort of side-steps the cachous problem. A brilliant bit of lateral thinking, IMHO.

No, it means Pipeman may never have actually chased Schwartz. The chasing was Schwartz's interpretation, that Pipeman was coming after him, leading to him interpreting Pipeman's movements as him chasing. The reality may simply have been Pipeman was heading away from the scene in the same direction, and Schwartz ran off without making a full assessment of the situation until he finally stops and notices Pipeman is no longer behind him. He then concludes Pipeman hadn't chased him all the way, rather than Pipeman hadn't chased him at all.
                So at the railway arch, Schwartz finally realised that no man had been chasing him? Interesting that you suppose that not to be far-fetched, and yet also suppose that Knifeman was fictitious - a pure invention of the Star - and yet Knifeman does not chase Schwartz. We are only told by the Star, that the Hungarian fled.

The events described are still important (who was the man assaulting Stride; who was pipeman as he's a potential witness or a potential suspect, etc) even if Schwartz's interpretations of the relationship between Pipeman and B.S. are wrong. Moreover, given the police did search for Lipski families, Abberline recognized his idea was simply an alternative to Schwartz's, he didn't dismiss Schwartz entirely and followed up the lead as given, and also followed up his own alternative idea. This is good police work.
                From that perspective it is, but the funny thing is is that I've never once heard anyone actually agree with Schwartz's Pipeman and BS were together interpretation. On the other hand, I've heard plenty of times that Pipeman was identified, but now that the ongoing search for a man named Lipski anomaly is out front and centre of this discussion, the 'Pipeman was found' people seem to have gone quiet.

Again, people's opinions about what they think they could or should have heard are just that, opinions. They didn't hear anything apparently, so despite their thinking they should have, the fact remains they didn't. It's not a problem, it just goes to show that people often have little idea about what they would have heard, or seen, or done. It's certainly not evidence against Schwartz's story no matter how strongly, or how many, believe they should have heard it.
                It means something when multiple people who were there, come to the same conclusion, and I don't imagine we are dealing with a bunch of dummies.

I think I'll just leave it at that.

- Jeff
                A broad-shoulder man would not have failed to pull Liz Stride out onto the street, had he wanted to. Jack the Ripper would not have wanted to pull the woman out onto the street, at all.

Comment

Presumably I'm more of a bottom-up than top-down thinker. Regarding the impact of constraints, I had half hoped that the constraint of supposing that the search for a man named Lipski meant that Pipeman was never located, would have resulted in someone walking through the implications. So while my thinking may be somewhat unconstrained, it also seems that I'm in good company.
                  Except, as I've said many times, there is only suggestions that Pipeman was actually identified, and I agreed with you that if he was then one would expect the search for Lipski families to cease shortly there after (obviously they would not stop until they were fully satisfied that Pipeman wasn't an accomplice, etc). I've mentioned that it depends upon the dates when Pipeman was supposed to be identified. I don't know when that was supposed to have happened, but if it corresponds to the cessation of the Lipski search then it may be that all the evidence aligns as expected. But without having that information I don't know if it does.

I don't recall ever saying "Schwartz was not there!". No doubt I've been accused of that more than once, but that doesn't mean I agree.
                  A while back you posted a conclusion that was something like "Simple, Schwartz didn't exist"! I took that to mean that he wasn't there rather than he didn't exist literally since Abberline interviewed him.

Fanny doesn't even say that herself, so why would I say it?
                  Fanny's statements range from being out on her doorstep nearly the whole time, to those sounding like she was in and out for a number of brief periods. You've referenced both possibilities at times.

It probably does seem like I'm often starting anew, but that is because the last idea did not generate any discussion. So I guess it often seems like I'm talking about things without sufficient context. In other words, it's everyone's fault but mine. LOL
                  It must be very difficult for you.

That's probably it!
                  I agree. You're not presenting your ideas in a way that can be understood, hence nobody is following you.

I understand about ideas conflicting, but if George or anyone else wants to know what my position or best guess is on x, y, or z, they only need ask me. Except for my own benefit, I don't see why I need to write a thesis.
                  He has asked, he's asked that you simply walk through the events of that night from beginning to end so we can see the sequence of events as you imagine them. I've asked as well. So despite being asked, you've made it clear you're not going to answer with content, simply a refusal. That's fine, you don't need to answer, it's not an assignment, it was just a request.

- Jeff

Comment

Neither had I seen a good account, until I came across the sitting down before attacked theory
                    Placing the hands close to the ground, sort of side-steps the cachous problem. A brilliant bit of lateral thinking, IMHO.
                    Well, it doesn't really solve the problem because there's no evidence to suggest she was sitting down. The killer placing them there after she's dead also solves the problem, but I don't think that's it either.

So at the railway arch, Schwartz finally realised that no man had been chasing him? Interesting that you suppose that not to be far-fetched, and yet also suppose that Knifeman was fictitious - a pure invention of the Star - and yet Knifeman does not chase Schwartz. We are only told by the Star, that the Hungarian fled.
                    No, that would be a misinterpretation of what I've said about what Schwartz thought. It appears Schwartz believed he was being chased, so at some point, when he looks, he realises Pipeman is not there. So he would then think that Pipeman has stopped chasing him, but he still thinks Pipeman was initially chasing him. It doesn't matter if in reality Pipeman never actually chased Schwartz because we're talking about a belief, and beliefs can be false.

From that perspective it is, but the funny thing is is that I've never once heard anyone actually agree with Schwartz's Pipeman and BS were together interpretation. On the other hand, I've heard plenty of times that Pipeman was identified, but now that the ongoing search for a man named Lipski anomaly is out front and centre of this discussion, the 'Pipeman was found' people seem to have gone quiet.
                    No, agreeing with Schartz is not commonly held. Abberline's arguments are considered to be convincing by most. Feel free to argue the other side though.

It means something when multiple people who were there, come to the same conclusion, and I don't imagine we are dealing with a bunch of dummies.
                    What bunch of people? We don't have statements from the entire club, and the Fanny Mortimer statement is irrelevant as she wasn't at the club so her commenting on where people were is not based upon fact, just gossip and hearsay. And given the statement is that Stride didn't yell very loud, why would they expect to hear anything?
                    A broad-shoulder man would not have failed to pull Liz Stride out onto the street, had he wanted to. Jack the Ripper would not have wanted to pull the woman out onto the street, at all.
                    - Jeff

Comment

But nowhere does it say that Pipeman comes towards Schwartz "just after Schwartz passes the gateway", and since Schwartz didn't do what you presume he would have, you're just rejecting something that hasn't been put forth.
                      I was commenting on this scenario ...

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

But let's start with Pipeman in the doorway, so he can't see up (or is it down?) Berner Street where the gateway is. Schwartz moves passed the club, and B.S. shouts Lipski. Pipeman moves to the edge of the doorway, and is spotted by Schwartz, who takes this as Pipeman coming towards him (because Schwartz is on the other side of the road) so Schwartz exits the scene.
                      Where is Schwartz when he spots Pipeman? It seems to me that Schwartz hears Lipski just after passing the club, Pipeman shuffles forward and is seen by Schwartz. So at that moment, Pipeman could only come toward Schwartz by walking up/north along Berner street, which would have sent Schwartz fleeing in the same direction.

Moreover, it doesn't address the options that Schwartz is further along, etc.
                      Further along than the doorway? So who did BS yell Lipski to? The man at the doorway, or the man even further down the street, who seconds earlier had been standing almost right in front of him?

None of this leads to there being "knifeman", and nowhere other than the Star report is there any evidence of knifeman. None of the police records ever mention knifeman, and the Star version that includes knifeman reads like a distorted version of what Schwartz told the police, except the pipe becomes a knife, and a few other details get altered. Knifeman is pipeman with distortion and so far there's no support or evidence to the contrary.
                      So the police never found Pipeman, and yet as of Oct 19, they do not appear to be searching for "the supposed accomplice". If lack of mention of Knifeman by the police is so convincing, then what about what they do mention ...?

Robert Anderson: I have to state that the opinion arrived at in this Dept. upon the evidence of Schwartz at the inquest in Eliz. Stride’s case is that the name Lipski which he alleges was used by a man whom he saw assaulting the woman in Berner St. on the night of the murder, was not addressed to the supposed accomplice but to Schwartz himself.

Schwartz gave evidence at the inquest. The police said so, so that's the end of that debate.

And Pipeman may never have actually followed Schwartz anywhere. Schwartz was clearly unsettled by the events, and he presumed pipeman was coming after him. He may never actually have checked until he was well away from the area, at which point he would then think "ok, he didn't follow me this far", failing to realise that pipeman never followed him at all.
                      Clearly unsettled? So the when Star referred to the Hungarian crossing the street, due to "feeling rather timid of getting mixed up in quarrels", they were completely underestimating how shaken up Schwartz must have been, having stood watching an assault on a woman that he felt it better he not get involved in. Clearly Schwartz was damn near incontinent!

Look, if Schwartz actually saw Pipeman running behind him for some distance, then when Abberline asked if Lipski could have been shouted at Schwartz, then Schwartz would have said No, he was clearly calling to the fellow who chased me half way down Fairclough (or where ever) before he finally gave up chase. But Schwartz backs down, and becomes unsure, because when confronted with the idea that maybe pipeman was just a bystander, Schwartz appears to realise he hadn't considered that but admitted it was entirely possible.

- Jeff
                      BS man had an extremely good opportunity to say anything he liked to Schwartz, when Schwartz stopped at the gateway. Why didn't he? Why wait until it was ambiguous who he would be speaking to? Schwartz's claimed observation of the assault, at close range, gives the impression that he watched it all from behind a one-way mirror.

Comment

I was commenting on this scenario ...

Where is Schwartz when he spots Pipeman? It seems to me that Schwartz hears Lipski just after passing the club, Pipeman shuffles forward and is seen by Schwartz. So at that moment, Pipeman could only come toward Schwartz by walking up/north along Berner street, which would have sent Schwartz fleeing in the same direction.
                        The timing isn't mentioned, all it takes is for B.S. to decide that Schwartz hasn't moved on quick enough. So Schwartz gets closer, Pipeman's emergence isn't immediate, etc. I was presenting a quick general idea, not a moment by moment presentation. As you say, Schwartz needs to be far enough along, and Pipeman's emerging around the time Schwartz passes the club.

B.S. could yell Lipski while Schwartz is near the club. Perhaps Pipeman is not in the doorway, but leaning against the wall so Schwartz can see him and Pipeman looks up at the shout, making Schwartz think the call was to him. As he passes Pipeman, Pipeman starts his own journey home, and Schwartz thinks he's coming for him and runs off. etc.

Further along than the doorway? So who did BS yell Lipski to? The man at the doorway, or the man even further down the street, who seconds earlier had been standing almost right in front of him?
                        You have to ask B.S. to know who he intended the shout for. Schwartz thought it was Pipeman. Abberline thinks Schartz was the more likely.

So the police never found Pipeman, and yet as of Oct 19, they do not appear to be searching for "the supposed accomplice". If lack of mention of Knifeman by the police is so convincing, then what about what they do mention ...?

Robert Anderson: I have to state that the opinion arrived at in this Dept. upon the evidence of Schwartz at the inquest in Eliz. Stride’s case is that the name Lipski which he alleges was used by a man whom he saw assaulting the woman in Berner St. on the night of the murder, was not addressed to the supposed accomplice but to Schwartz himself.

Schwartz gave evidence at the inquest. The police said so, so that's the end of that debate.
                        This report has been discussed a few times and the thought is that the phrase "at the inquest" is referring to his statement which was part of the inquiry into the Stride murder, and not to testimony he gave at the inquest proper because he did not give testimony at the inquest proper.

However, if I understand you, you're saying Schwartz testified at the inquest proper. You're now saying the police did believe him. So why did the press make no mention of his testimony when the printed all the rest? Why do they make no mention of testimony given in camera? Why does the summing up not point the jury to consider the information that is not being published?

Clearly unsettled? So the when Star referred to the Hungarian crossing the street, due to "feeling rather timid of getting mixed up in quarrels", they were completely underestimating how shaken up Schwartz must have been, having stood watching an assault on a woman that he felt it better he not get involved in. Clearly Schwartz was damn near incontinent!
                        Why would you think that? The phrase "feeling rather timid of getting mixed up in quarrels" describes someone who is clearly unsettled. Also, Schwartz never stood and watched her get assaulted, he was walking behind B.S. and continues on while crossing the street. At no point does he say he "stopped and watched" for awhile.

BS man had an extremely good opportunity to say anything he liked to Schwartz, when Schwartz stopped at the gateway. Why didn't he? Why wait until it was ambiguous who he would be speaking to? Schwartz's claimed observation of the assault, at close range, gives the impression that he watched it all from behind a one-way mirror.
                        First, Schwartz didn't stop at the gateway, and I don't know where you're getting that from. Schwartz didn't speak English, though, so B.S. may have said more, but Schwartz can't repeat it because to him it would be gibberish. All he might recognize would be the name Lipski.

- Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi Andrew,

"just after Schwartz passes the gateway" is not when Pipeman came toward Schwartz from the pub. I was also initially confused as to why Schwartz would try to make his escape towards the perceived threat (Pipeman). The clue is in his statement to the Star. Schwartz had already crossed the road to the footpath on the eastern side of Berner St, away from BSman and Stride, and was proceeding south on that footpath.
                          As stated in #2965, I was interpreting Jeff's scenario as I understood it, not the Star account.

He told the Star that he had "just stepped off the kerb" when Pipeman made his move towards him. Since he was on the footpath on the eastern side of Berner St, the only kerb available for stepping off was when he was about to cross Fairclough St on his journey south. When Pipeman moved towards him he then bolted across Fairclough and south down Berner street with the threat of Pipeman/Knifeman behind him.
                          The Echo report of course has the chase going along Fairclough street. I see that also needs to be 'corrected', even though the Star account makes it just as likely.

There is no alternative that would not have him bolting toward the threat, and he confirmed this with his statement to the Star.
                          How does one determine which parts of the Star account were more or less real? Was the knife fake, but everything else about 'Knifeman', more or less true?

My speculation is that Pipeman, on hearing the commotion from the gateway, emerges from the door way of the Nelson and sees a woman on the ground with a man near her yelling "Lipski" at a person of Jewish appearance on the opposite corner of the intersection. Pipeman mistakes Schwartz for an "intruder" that has assaulted the woman but has been interrupted by BSMan, and that Scwartz is endeavouring to make his escape. Pipeman says "What's going on here" and makes a move towards Schwartz, who bolts, and Pipeman follows him briefly, but then decides to find out what actually happened instead of pursuing him further. This is all pure conjecture of course, but it does fit the evidence and Schwartz's statement rather well.

Cheers, George
                          So Schwartz was endeavouring to make his escape by walking away, then Pipeman speaks words that no-English Schwartz incorrectly interprets as a warning to the man with the woman (who is now presumably being nice to her), and so Pipeman make a move on Schwartz who then bolts. This is sounding a lot like the Echo report, apart from the man pursued being the murderer. I'm intrigued about Pipeman, who gives up on the pursuit, "but then decides to find out what actually happened"...

Comment

As stated in #2965, I was interpreting Jeff's scenario as I understood it, not the Star account.

#2965 was after my post.

The Echo report of course has the chase going along Fairclough street. I see that also needs to be 'corrected', even though the Star account makes it just as likely.

Echo report was for Diemshitz & Co.

How does one determine which parts of the Star account were more or less real? Was the knife fake, but everything else about 'Knifeman', more or less true?

Knifeman is a figment of the Star's imagination. There is only Pipeman.

So Schwartz was endeavouring to make his escape by walking away, then Pipeman speaks words that no-English Schwartz incorrectly interprets as a warning to the man with the woman (who is now presumably being nice to her), and so Pipeman make a move on Schwartz who then bolts. This is sounding a lot like the Echo report, apart from the man pursued being the murderer. I'm intrigued about Pipeman, who gives up on the pursuit, "but then decides to find out what actually happened"...

Schwartz was endeavouring to make his escape only in the perception of Pipeman. The fact that Schwartz wouldn't have understood what was being said is part of the point being made. Are you trying to be deliberately contrary? There is no cause to be intrigued on a scenario that was qualified as being conjecture.
                            Hi Andrew,

Once again you are resorting to sniping at other opinions without ever having presented an orderly layout of your own theories. I am looking forward to your dissertation on a drunken broad shouldered 30 year old beating up Kozebrodski and trying to pull him out of the gateway for purposes that you are yet to explain.

Cheers, George
                            Out of a misty dream
                            Within a dream.

Comment

• Andrew,

You have said that you don't need a sequence line because if I ask a question you will answer. I have quoted evidence from the Star interview that Schwartz stated that he was "stepping off the kerb" when Pipeman moved towards him. Without any further dodging and weaving, please present your evidence for your claim that Schwartz was opposite the gateway when Pipeman approached him. You may also care to proffer your interpretation for "stepping off the kerb" when Pipeman moved towards him

Cheers, George
                              Out of a misty dream
                              Within a dream.

Comment

The timing isn't mentioned, all it takes is for B.S. to decide that Schwartz hasn't moved on quick enough.
                                Quick enough for what? For the street to be cleared of witnesses to what he is intending to do? Then why not start yelling at both men? Perhaps this is where Schwartz got the idea of an accomplice. Whatever the case, Schwartz is now walking away from the scene - he apparently never uttered a word of protest - and has now reached Fairclough street. Only then does BS say something to him? Best to let him go, I should think.

So Schwartz gets closer, Pipeman's emergence isn't immediate, etc. I was presenting a quick general idea, not a moment by moment presentation. As you say, Schwartz needs to be far enough along, and Pipeman's emerging around the time Schwartz passes the club.
                                It appears you are going with the Star's location for 'Pipeman'. Yet you reject the Star's Knifeman, as being fictitious. What elements of Knifeman did the Star make up, presumably because the actual story was a bit boring?

B.S. could yell Lipski while Schwartz is near the club. Perhaps Pipeman is not in the doorway, but leaning against the wall so Schwartz can see him and Pipeman looks up at the shout, making Schwartz think the call was to him. As he passes Pipeman, Pipeman starts his own journey home, and Schwartz thinks he's coming for him and runs off. etc.
                                This is very different to the police account.

On crossing to the opposite side of the street, he saw a second man standing lighting his pipe. The man who threw the woman down called out apparently to the man on the opposite side of the road 'Lipski' & then Schwartz walked away, but finding that he was followed by the second man he ran so far as the railway arch but the man did not follow so far.

So the police account, which you rate so highly, particularly in comparison to the Star report, couldn't even manage to get the location of Pipeman right, but the supposedly sensationalised Star report could?

You have to ask B.S. to know who he intended the shout for. Schwartz thought it was Pipeman. Abberline thinks Schartz was the more likely.
                                I find it a little amusing that the near universal belief in Schwartz's story, does not include agreement with any of his interpretations. Instead, the interpretations of a man who was not there, are preferred. One problem with this is that, unless BS called out to Pipeman, prompting him to deal with the 'intruding Jew', or perhaps giving him an "on ya bike", there is no reason for him to run. Apparently this little dilemma has now been solved - it was The Phantom Menace chasing Schwartz, not Pipeman. So about how far do you suppose The Phantom Menace ran, before giving up on the pursuit? Also, how reliable should we regard Schwartz as a witness, if he imagined being run after for a considerable distance, by a phantom?

This report has been discussed a few times and the thought is that the phrase "at the inquest" is referring to his statement which was part of the inquiry into the Stride murder, and not to testimony he gave at the inquest proper because he did not give testimony at the inquest proper.

However, if I understand you, you're saying Schwartz testified at the inquest proper. You're now saying the police did believe him. So why did the press make no mention of his testimony when the printed all the rest? Why do they make no mention of testimony given in camera? Why does the summing up not point the jury to consider the information that is not being published?
                                I wasn't intending that to be taken literally. My mistake, not sounding sarcastic enough.

Why would you think that? The phrase "feeling rather timid of getting mixed up in quarrels" describes someone who is clearly unsettled.
                                Does it really? To me it reads like someone who is considering intervening, but is feeling a bit shy about speaking up. Perhaps a bit intimidated by those broad shoulders. If the whole situation had been unsettling for Schwartz, he would never have stopped to take it in. Instead he would have walked by on the opposite side of the street, keeping his head down. Rather like Leon, when he left Dutfield's Yard.

Also, Schwartz never stood and watched her get assaulted, he was walking behind B.S. and continues on while crossing the street. At no point does he say he "stopped and watched" for awhile.
                                That Schwartz claimed to stop and and watch, can pretty much be ascertained from Swanson's summary.

... having got as far as the gateway where the murder was committed he saw a man stop & speak to a woman, who was standing in the gateway.

At this point Schwartz is at the gateway, as are the man and woman. Then things get nasty ...

Only then does Schwartz move away from the scene ...

On crossing to the opposite side of the street, he saw a second man standing lighting his pipe.

There is only a small amount of ambiguity here.

First, Schwartz didn't stop at the gateway, and I don't know where you're getting that from. Schwartz didn't speak English, though, so B.S. may have said more, but Schwartz can't repeat it because to him it would be gibberish. All he might recognize would be the name Lipski.

- Jeff
                                Abberline: I beg to report that since a jew named Lipski was hanged for the murder of a jewess in 1887 the name has very frequently been used by persons as mere ejaculation by way of endeavouring to insult the jew to whom it has been addressed, and as Schwartz has a strong jewish appearance I am of opinion it was addressed to him as he stopped to look at the man he saw ill-using the deceased woman.

What is wrong with the notion of Schwartz stopping to look, while at the gateway? Does it sound totally unrealistic? Yet that must have been what Schwartz told Abberline that he did do. However, if it assumed that Schwartz did not say this, and the stopping was just a huge and unjustified assumption by Abberline, then again we have to consider the police report of Schwartz's statement. Were the lack of doubts as indicated by Swanson, partly owing to assumptions that you do not share?

Comment

Working...
                                X