If Schwartz Lied ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mark J D View Post

-- Can someone possibly tell me the address/location of the place Pipeman/Knifeman supposedly emerged from? I'm still trying to work out the logistics of all this...

Thanks.

M.
    In case you're not very familiar with these, I would start by considering the two main sources of surviving evidence.

Met evidence

Star evidence
    Andrew's the man, who is not blamed for nothing

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark J D View Post

-- What about the Marshalls (who seem to have known the Lechmeres)...?

M.
      Marshall was at No 64 Berner St, not shown on Dave's map.

Cheers, George
      They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
      Out of a misty dream
      Our path emerges for a while, then closes
      Within a dream.
      Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

• Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Interesting map Dave. Do you know what the circle on the SE corner and the double rectangle on the NE corner are meant to represent?

Cheers, George
        Hydrant.

The rectangle ..... I've forgotten.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goad_legend_Manchester_v2_1888[SVC2].jpg
Views:	150
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	783619
        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

No change of tune, just a different way to say the same thing.

If the chances of Fanny only seeing one man between 12.30 and 1am really were slim to none, what are you trying to say? That she wasn't on her doorstep for nearly the whole time, and therefore missed all but one man - Goldstein - who passed by between 12.30 and 1am? Or she was there for much of the time, and saw other men on the street besides Goldstein, who passed by twice to her knowledge, but she failed to say so? I'm just trying to work out what you believe, but it's not easy!
          I think she implies she saw other men, and given both the claimed timespan, and reports from other witnesses, I think it highly likely that she did see men other than Goldstein. For example, Eagle returning to the club, and Lave having his wander around. By the way, I think there is a good chance that Eagle saw Stride, and so if Fanny saw Eagle ...

I don't think any man passed by Fanny twice, other than Goldstein. I think what she said, or at least was trying to say, was this ...

It was just after one o'clock when I went out, and the only man whom I had seen who had passed through the street previously was a young man carrying a black shiny bag, who walked very fast down the street from the Commercial road.

The interpretation that is normally put on Fanny's words, would be a better match if she had said this ...

It was just after one o'clock when I went out, and the only man whom I had seen previously, was a young man passing through the street carrying a black shiny bag, who walked very fast down the street from the Commercial road.

Was the problem that Fanny knew exactly what she meant, but the journalist who took the notes did not fully grasp what she was saying?

But which direction? Unless Berner Street was on a slope, residents and non-residents alike could say 'up' or 'down' based on different perspectives, as you have been advised more than once. A man from Liverpool might say he had come 'up' to London, while the person he was visiting would say he had come 'down' to London.
          Clearly I didn't take that advice, as this rather ungracious post to Jeff would suggest.

Because you can't simply invent the evidence to make it happen.
          Umm, okay

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

Could the Star not mean that one man appeared to match Schwartz's description of Stride's assailant, while the second appeared to match Pipeman's description of the same man, Pipeman having come forward as 'another source' i.e a second witness? Witness descriptions of the same man can be notoriously at odds, so the police had two men who could have been BS man, and would therefore need additional facts about the men if one was going to remain under arrest. Both must have been released without charge after satisfying the police that they were not there.
            Did the police become despondent, and give up on Schwartz merely because the first two arrests hadn't resulted in any progress? No, I don't think so. Besides, if the two men had satisfied the police as to their whereabouts, why would it matter that the two descriptions (one hypothetical), were somewhat at odds?

How could Schwartz have been expected to provide additional facts? He had already been questioned closely by Abberline, who had given his professional opinion on the matter.
            Exactly, but that's his problem. I still think that Anderson's reference to "the supposed accomplice" and " the evidence of Schwartz at the inquest", are references to information and/or clarifications given by Schwartz, after the Abberline interview.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post
              Posted by Caz:
              But which direction? Unless Berner Street was on a slope, residents and non-residents alike could say 'up' or 'down' based on different perspectives, as you have been advised more than once. A man from Liverpool might say he had come 'up' to London, while the person he was visiting would say he had come 'down' to London.

Clearly I didn't take that advice, as this rather ungracious post to Jeff would suggest.
              Clearly you were justified in not taking that advice, as it was just a manufactured example to support a point of view. Your post to Jeff, while a little ungracious, contained multiple examples of evidence to show how the locals in the area, at that time viewed the ups and downs of Berner St. Yours was the correct interpretation (IMO) despite what a man from Liverpool and his host might say.

Cheers, George
              Out of a misty dream
              Within a dream.

Comment

By definition scream means a "long, loud, piercing cry". It appears obvious that there is a translation error.
                It may appear that way to you, George, but it appears to me that Schwartz was talking ****. Do you really suppose the translator would have struggled with a simple word like 'screamed', and do you also suppose that Abberline would have casually accepted this claim, before writing it down and moving on to his next question?

Schwartz probably meant she protested/objected/remonstrated/complained three times, but not very loudly.

Cheers, George
                He probably didn't mean that, because how would a non English speaker manage to count three distinct protests/objections/remonstrations/complaints? And if that's what they were, why would Schwartz have claimed that she did so, but not very loudly? If she merely complained about being thrown down, then she complained, and the loudness of that triple complaint would have been a trivial detail in Abberline's notes, at best, and hardly worthy of mention by Swanson in his report.

Comment

Goldstein headed north was reported in the EN and corroborated by Walter Dew. It is speculation that he came from Dutfield's, but he came from that direction. There are those who want to manipulate language and dismiss evidence to say he was only seen once, headed south...that's their opinion. If you introduce clock times you then then need to juggle the time interval of 12-15 minutes round trip to the Spectacle coffee house.
                  If the heading south from Spectacle Alley occurs first, then the round trip time is not the issue. Getting Goldstein into the yard, unseen, is the problem.

If you are confident in your theory, present it and expect peer objections..."Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead". No one knows the answer, so your conjecture, if reasonably formulated, is as good as the next person's. The whole point of this forum is to introduce evidence and respectfully discuss differences in opinion and interpretation.

Cheers, George
                  Okay, here is another theory. The police would obviously have read the EN interview, and determined that Goldstein's whereabouts had to be determined not only by investigations at the coffee house, but also at Goldstein's residence on Christian street. Had Goldstein left 22 and gone to the club, after having been seen by Fanny, then someone at 22 may well have been aware of that. So that person or persons had a choice - to provide Goldstein with an alibi, or tell the truth and effectively have him turned over to gentile justice. They chose the former.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	BERNER 40 TO 36.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	783627 Reckon BS man was muscle for Stride who was to meet Sutton in the yard for a blackmail pay off.
                    Sutton was on the top floor of the Club watching proceedings below.
                    BS man leaves and returns,pulling Stride from the yard.He then leaves for good.
                    Schwartz hears "Lips,see"..Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia - Wikipedia
                    Beer shop owner is preparing a knock off pipe of tobacco and is cleaning his
                    pipe.

Name:	pipe knife Rogers.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	783628 When the coast is clear,Sutton is out the front door and into the yard.
                    He offers Stride the cachous,which she takes out of his hand.Last thing she ever does.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
                      Reckon BS man was muscle for Stride who was to meet Sutton in the yard for a blackmail pay off. Sutton was on the top floor of the Club watching proceedings below. BS man leaves and returns,pulling Stride from the yard.He then leaves for good. Schwartz hears "Lips,see". Beer shop owner is preparing a knock off pipe of tobacco and is cleaning his pipe. When the coast is clear,Sutton is out the front door and into the yard. He offers Stride the cachous,which she takes out of his hand.Last thing she ever does.
                      -- Damn, that's ingenious! Nice scenario, bro!

M.
                      (Image of Charles Allen Lechmere is by artist Ashton Guilbeaux. Used by permission. Original art-work for sale.)

Comment

• The cachous were astringent medication for Stride's lips,and other parts of her anatomy.

Catechu - Wikipedia

Click image for larger version  Name:	Stride.jpg Views:	0 Size:	260.0 KB ID:	783646

Last edited by DJA; 03-25-2022, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NotBlamedForNothing View Post

If the heading south from Spectacle Alley occurs first, then the round trip time is not the issue. Getting Goldstein into the yard, unseen, is the problem.
                          Haven't you been arguing that Mortimer saw Goldstein headed north "previously" to the sighting of him headed south?

Cheers, George
                          Out of a misty dream
                          Within a dream.

Comment

Name:	pipe knife Rogers.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	783628
                            Nice Rodgers pipe tools Dave. They're worth a fortune now, and you have two. Do you still indulge in the brown leaf?

Cheers, George
                            Out of a misty dream
                            Within a dream.

Comment

• Picture from the Internet,not mine.

Ex smoker.

Comment

The cachous were astringent medication for Stride's lips,and other parts of her anatomy.
                                Was she also using lips cream?

Comment

Working...
                                X