Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a picture of the witness Sarah Lewis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a picture of the witness Sarah Lewis?

Because it seems as though it claims to be:

Genealogy for Sarah Jane Henrietta Gottheimer (Lewis) (1865 - 1941) family tree on Geni, with over 190 million profiles of ancestors and living relatives.

Have you seen this thread, Sean?

Discussion of the numerous "witnesses" who gave their testimony either to the press or the police during the murder spree.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
      I hadn't when posting. I stumbled on the page on geni when searching for Sarah Lewis in relation to Great Pearl Street. I was so struck by the claim on the page that this woman was the witness, especially as it seems likely the page is maintained by a family member of Sarah Gottheimer, that I rushed to posting without checking the existing threads. :/

I subsequently found the above thread and also this related thread on the other Ripper forum: https://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=29950

I'm fairly sure Sarah Gottheimer ne้ Lewis, is the Sarah Lewis that Chris Scott researched. So, if it can be confirmed that this is 'the' Sarah Lewis, then it would indeed be a picture of the witness.
      Last edited by seanr; 02-16-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Hi Sean
        The thread Joshua Rogan pointed you to was indeed discussion of the woman Sarah Gottheimer nee Lewis. I mentioned that Chris Scott wrote an article on the same woman for Ripperologist magazine and in that article the photograph you posted, plus other family photographs, were also included.
        Having said that, as was mentioned in the link to JTRForums from Casebook, on the same topic; the family story that it was well known Sarah Gottheimer was 5 months pregnant in Nov 88 when she went to Miller's Court in the middle of the night is untrue. John Walter Gotheimer, was actually registered in Sept qtr of 1888 in Mile End not Whitechapel and would have been a couple of months old at the time of the murder. Researcher Robert Linford obtained the birth certificate of Walter and the family were certainly not living in Spitalfields or Whitechapel at the time of Walter's birth in Sept Qtr of 88.

Comment

Thanks Debs. Makes all that wonderfully clear.

Comment

Working...
          X