Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kelly and pepper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kelly and pepper

    Hello All. Here is an interesting snippet from Lloyd's August 26, 1888. The name, age and location seem consistent with our John Kelly. Also, it is involved with the docks.

    Any information would be appreciated.

    Cheers.
    LC
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Another good find Lynn.
    Certainly nothing to be sneezed at
    You can lead a horse to water.....

    Comment


    • #3
      oh, choo!

      Hello Packer. Thanks for that.

      Interesting that a socialist club meeting in Hammersmith was broken up when an anarchist threw pepper on the stove.

      Cheers.
      LC

      Comment


      • #4
        Hello Lynn,

        Most interesting... does the date correspond with our JK being back from Kent?

        best wishes

        Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙


        Justice for the 96 = achieved
        Accountability? ....

        Comment


        • #5
          conundrum

          Hello Phil. Another ripperologist has pointed out to me that both stories cannot be true.

          Of course, we know our John Kelly was hopping. After all, he said so.

          Cheers.
          LC

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Lynn
            I mentioned on the 'how drunk was eddowes thread' that after taking your pointer i read the times inquest report.
            I agree with you there's something not right about what he was saying.
            Who was the 'mystery woman' who came to tell Kelly about catharine being locked up?
            Why didn't he go to Bishopsgate to enquire about her wellbeing,if not that night then certainly the morning after?
            He didn't come forward until he read about the pawn ticket in the papers!!!
            Even though an unidentified woman had been murdered in the area and the love of his life had not been seen for how long?
            Keep it up Lynn,very interesting
            You can lead a horse to water.....

            Comment


            • #7
              There were literally hundreds of John Kellys in London, and there's nothing in this article to suggest that it was referring to 'our' JK.

              Yours truly,

              Tom Wescott

              Comment


              • #8
                Hello Lynn,

                Firstly, I must echo Tom's word that there would have been an awful lot of John Kelly's in London.

                Secondly, the sweepings from a ship's hold were often considered to be "bunce" - a cash extra fo anyone who could sell them. Many years ago when I worked on cargo ships carrying grain, the sweepings were sold to local pig farmers and provided welcome beer money for the ship's crew.

                Rgds
                John

                Comment


                • #9
                  testimony

                  Hello Packer. So, you can smell, er, I mean see that too? Pretty obvious.

                  Cheers.
                  LC

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    common

                    Hello Tom and John. I heartily concur that John Kelly was a common name. And, no, there is no known link to our John Kelly. Of course, the age matches. And John was supposed to work the docks as a labourer.

                    Cheers.
                    LC

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      Hello Tom and John. I heartily concur that John Kelly was a common name. And, no, there is no known link to our John Kelly. Of course, the age matches. And John was supposed to work the docks as a labourer.

                      Cheers.
                      LC
                      Hi Lynn

                      It's one thing to suggest that John Kelly pepper thief, and John Kelly the partner of Kate Eddowes were one and the same

                      However to suggest that should our pepper thief be Kate Eddowes beau, and that he used the pepper to hijack an anarchists meeting, thus implying a link between Kate's murder and those nasty anarchists, well what can I say. Have you ever considered a career in dime novels, the writing of that is?

                      Observer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by John Savage View Post
                        Hello Lynn,

                        Firstly, I must echo Tom's word that there would have been an awful lot of John Kelly's in London.

                        Secondly, the sweepings from a ship's hold were often considered to be "bunce" - a cash extra fo anyone who could sell them. Many years ago when I worked on cargo ships carrying grain, the sweepings were sold to local pig farmers and provided welcome beer money for the ship's crew.

                        Rgds
                        John
                        9 3/4 lbs is an awful lot of "sweepings" especially of something like pepper.Yes there would have been a lot of John Kellys in London.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          sweepings

                          Hello Ian. That is correct. And the police claim they weren't sweepings. And the other suspect bolted--not a good sign.

                          Why on earth pepper?

                          And yes, there are a good many John Kellys in London, but I presume only a proper subset are 42 and work around the docks.

                          Cheers.
                          LC

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                            Hello Ian. That is correct. And the police claim they weren't sweepings. And the other suspect bolted--not a good sign.

                            Why on earth pepper?

                            And yes, there are a good many John Kellys in London, but I presume only a proper subset are 42 and work around the docks.

                            Cheers.
                            LC
                            Hi Lynn,

                            Yeah there werent many 42 yr old John Kellys down the docks,but it could have been a false name,i dont suppose names for things like theft were always checked in 1888,what with the transient nature if the East End locals etc.


                            After all its quite likely it seems that Mary Kelly was a false name(and Eddowes had Kelly as a false name)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                              Why on earth pepper?
                              As an aid in disrupting anarchist meetings of course, after all, it's the only logical reason to steal pepper!

                              Observer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X