No announcement yet.

Witnesses are no use in JtR case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s interesting that when some people threaten to leave the thread after tossing out a whole load of unwarranted personal insults, it very quickly emerges they don’t actually have any intention of following through with that swan-song. And really, if people want to have lovely acrimonious and frosty-spirited, please keep calling me a “know-it-all”, and we’ll see what transpires.

I see we’re still hearing this nonsense about Abberline, as though his thoughts represented the final police stance on Hutchinson’s statement, which they most assuredly did not, and are not. As I’m prepared to reiterate whenever the subject it broached (which could be an eternity depending on the willingness of some people to keep picking this particular fight), it is very clear that this opinion came to be revised. The Echo approached the police directly. We know this to be true because they reported information relevant to Hutchinson’s statement that we now know to be true and could only have been obtained from the police. They also divulged that the statement had been “considerably discounted” because of the witness’ tardy arrival in presenting his evidence.

We can thus dispense utterly with the suggestion that discrediting of Hutchinson did not originate with the police. It can be argued that the police could still have wrong to discredit Hutchinson, and we can speculate for years on end as to why, but it is pointless to argue that it didn’t happen at all.

I am also noticing a familiar old fallacy creeping into the threads – the one that asserts that the suspects that were viewed as such by the contemporary police stand a greater likelihood of having been the ripper than those put forward more recently. As Babybird has sensibly pointed out, the police had no experience whatsoever of serial offenders, and if Hutchinson was indeed the culprit, the fact that his potential culpability may have been overlooked should certainly not be considered a “con” in his case, as opposed to a “pro”. Even today, modern investigations are littered with examples of senior police officials being duped by both liars and killers (Sutcliffe was interviewed a great many times but was dismissed on each occasion), and there have been several examples of serial killers inserting themselves into their own investigations.

In short, Hutchinson could easily have been one of them, and I have always thought be stands out particularly because of his apparently proximity to, and interest in, the Miller's Court crime scene on the night in question. As soon as he the inquest closed, he made himself known and provided a highly questionable and soon-to-be-discredited account, suggesting very strongly that he realised he’d been seen and sought to legitimize his presence accordingly, using the transparently fictional “Astrakhan man” as a vehicle for this. It is generally considered more likely than not, and for exceptionally good reason, that the killer was a working class local man. I would only submit that Hutchinson is the “best” unknown local man we know something about.

When viewed from a criminogical perspective, this qualifies him as a suspect light-years ahead of Druitt (who has also been brought up here), who did not live in the East End and as far as I know can’t even be placed there at any point in time, let alone loitering outside a crime scene of the night of a murder. Abberline did not think there was anything beyond the time of his suicide to incriminate him, and it is unlikely in the extreme that Macnaghten should have withheld information from Abberline.

“Normally I wouldn't get involved in these tedious debates, but, as I say, my name was mentioned.”
    Yes, but not by me, Stewart, and by any of the other people you’ve insulted. Your name was referenced by the people who would undoubtedly team up with you in criticising and insulting me, probably in effort to get you to join in. Obviously and misguidedly, you swallowed the bait.

As to dismissing profiling as “pshyco-bable” I doubt very much that this is the general view amongst the police today. My impression is that there is no “us against them” mentality, and the interests of investigative progress would be significantly retarded if there were such an attitude. Not that any of the arguments that relate to Hutchinson have a great deal to do with profiling. Rather, they relate to experience and hard facts garnered from other cases – the type that you make reference to in your Tumblety book.

In reference to the theory than Barnett was responsible, you state:

“Mind you it is an idea that holds much merit and should at the very least be borne in mind when weighing up the evidence”
    But it would mean that Abberline was WRONG about Barnett (you keep going complaining about people claiming to know more than Abberline), and would make Barnett one of your “non-contemporary” suspects, so why does this suspect theory hold “much merit” and not Hutchinson, who meets both these criteria? Like it or not, by suggesting that the Barnett theory "holds much merit", you are clearly defending the adoption of a position not shared by Abberline, i.e. that he had no involvement in the crime. Double-standards are clearly being employed for some annoying reason. To make matters worse, there is no evidence that Hutchinson was even considered a suspect (unlike Barnett), and you can't a dismiss a suspect without first considering him as such.
    Last edited by Ben; 08-07-2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heinrich View Post
      I am not a detective, Jon, but not even Tin Tin with his dog Snowy would expect a killer to be going to bed and then wearing tell-tale bloody clothes the day after a night of murder.
      I understand that Heinrich, and any answer will depend on who you think the killer was. That said, you know Barnett lived with Kelly in No.13, so where was their wardrobe? Where in room 13 did Kelly and Barnett keep all their change of clothes?
      As most people suspect the killer was from the lower-classes, how many changes of clothes do you think these lower-classes had?, it may shock you to learn that in most cases what they wore was all they had.

Nonetheless, they failed to protect the victims which was their duty.
      Quite true, how silly of the prostitues to object to having a PC follow them around the streets every night.
      The City police did try some restriction along those lines, predictably it did not work. Do you wonder why?

I question their skill in interrogation believing, as I do, that they at some time did interview a killer only to release him upon failing to piece together the evidence against him.
      To be fair, we do not have a verbatim exchange between officer & suspect, simply a bland "he proved his identity and was discharged", or something similar.
      Even the press were not present in any interviews so we only get a brief mention by them. Therefore, in truth, we have no way of knowing the extent or depth of their interrogation techniques.
      That said, there isn't a whole lot you can do or say with no evidence and no witness to place him at the scene at the hour in question.

Do not assume the killer was a stranger.
      You ask for my suggestion. Well, I would have arrested Joseph Barnett for the murder of Mary Kelly on the grounds of motive, means, and opportunity and a compelling case for the prosecution could have been made, sufficient to convince a jury.
      I know, but different people here have different opinions, so it helps if we take the broad approach.
      Yes, some of the aspects of the Kelly murder do suggest she may have known her killer, but how long is that list? 5 men, 10? - you only focus on Barnett, but there were others, and at least one who was known to do her harm.

Regards, Jon S.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
        That said, any objective investigator of a series of unsolved murders, where no offender has been brought to book, should keep an open mind and not convince himself that a certain specific group were all the work of one culprit. Unsolved means unsolved, and it also means that we do not know who the actual killer was.

My emphases.

Precisely, Stewart. So why do you deem it necessary to demean and belittle those of us who wish to discuss Hutchinson's candidacy? For all you know, he could well have been the killer.

By the way, I mentioned Tumblety precisely because you have been involved in naming someone who you believe is a good suspect yet wish to deny that freedom of intellect to other people, which does not strike me as very fair.

I am answerable to one person and one person alone for my thoughts and that's me. I don't give control of my thoughts to you or any other lauded or non-lauded Ripperologist because my thoughts belong to me, and while Stephen kindly provides forums in which Hutchinson is listed as a suspect, not to mention one in which he has published Garry's excellent book on Hutchinson's possible candidacy, I do not need yourself or anyone else telling me what I can and cannot think or can and cannot discuss. As long as I am obeying the site rules, that's my business alone.

And as for thinking I know better than people involved in the case...let me remind you that nobody here was involved in this case because that would be impossible, so ANYBODY passing any comment or judgement on any aspect of the case is in the same position as everyone else, and if that is contrued by yourself as putting themselves above the people who were actually there, then that is exactly what you are doing too.

As I have said before, if you find the discussion of Hutchinson offensive there is absolutely no compulsion to discuss him. I enjoy discussing him and the aspects of his statement which interest me and will continue to do so, without your permission or approval.
        babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          you know Barnett lived with Kelly in No.13, so where was their wardrobe? Where in room 13 did Kelly and Barnett keep all their change of clothes?
          Neatly folded clothes are mentioned on one of the chairs.

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          As most people suspect the killer was from the lower-classes, how many changes of clothes do you think these lower-classes had?, it may shock you to learn that in most cases what they wore was all they had.
          No, I already know this. Do bear in mind that Mary Kelly was friends with Maria Harvey who left her "two men's dirty shirts, a little boy's shirt, a black overcoat," and other items of clothing on the week of the murder according to her testimony at the inquest. Mary Kelly, then, as well as Joseph Barnett who was known to Maria Harvey, was in the way of coming across some extra pieces of clothing from time to time. We do not know what Joseph Barnett had to wear but we can be sure he would not have kept bloody evidence having just left the place where he had lived until 10 days previously and where the murder was done.

Quite true, how silly of the prostitues to object to having a PC follow them around the streets every night.
          Since when did it become police policy to neglect their duty because members of the public did not universally hold them in high regard?

The City police did try some restriction along those lines, predictably it did not work. Do you wonder why?
          The more I learn about the London police of 1888, the less surprised I am.

That said, there isn't a whole lot you can do or say with no evidence and no witness to place him at the scene at the hour in question.
          Joseph Barnett placed himself at 13 Miller's Court on the night of the murder according to his own testimony and an eyewitness, the same Maria Harvey.

Yes, some of the aspects of the Kelly murder do suggest she may have known her killer, but how long is that list? 5 men, 10? - you only focus on Barnett, but there were others, and at least one who was known to do her harm.
          No one knew Mary Kelly better than Joseph Barnett.
          Last edited by Heinrich; 08-07-2011, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Since when did it become police policy to neglect their duty because members of the public did not universally hold them in high regard?
            Maybe you could entertain the readers here with your wisdom on how you would have protected women who evaded police in the course of their actions if you were in charge back then?

And how do you know that there wasn't some tactic used by police that caused this relatively short series of murders to stop?
            Best Wishes,
            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunter View Post
              Maybe you could entertain the readers here with your wisdom on how you would have protected women who evaded police in the course of their actions if you were in charge back then?
              It is the job of the police to make sure no one evades them in public places.

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
              And how do you know that there wasn't some tactic used by police that caused this relatively short series of murders to stop?
              After Joseph Barnett was interviewed by the police, the murders stopped. You might be onto something there, Hunter.

Comment

It is the job of the police to make sure no one evades them in public places.
                Something tells me you are in for a bit of a surprise when you actually look up the responsibilities of the police force.
                Have you ever bothered to check how many beat constables were available in the Met. as opposed to just how many prostitutes were in the east end alone, those that they new about that is.
                All the numbers are out there, it just takes a little study.

Regards, Jon S.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                  Something tells me you are in for a bit of a surprise when you actually look up the responsibilities of the police force. Have you ever bothered to check how many beat constables were available in the Met. as opposed to just how many prostitutes were in the east end alone, those that they new about that is.
                  All the numbers are out there, it just takes a little study.
                  Everyone knows the responsibility of the police included the protection of the public using Her Majesty's streets, regardless of the numbers. Everyone, including prostitutes, were entitled to protection from maniacs.

Comment

• Ok, to clarify.

The responsibility of the Police is the prevention and detection of crme.

That's it.

They maintain order on the Queens Highways and Byways and they cannot enter privately owned property unless the feel a crime has, or is about to take place OR is specifically requested to do so by the property owner.

The simple reality is there were not enough resources then, as there isn't now (I cite the resent Norway atrocities) to protect everyone.

To blame the Police for the fact these women were murdered smacks of ignorance and a lack of a firm grip of reality.

Monty
                    Last edited by Monty; 08-08-2011, 12:08 AM.
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      To blame the Police for the fact these women were murdered smacks of ignorance and a lack of a firm grip of reality.
                      I haven't read any posts that blamed the police for murdering the victims, only for failing in their duty to protect the victims and catch a killer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                        I have an awful feeling that someone is about to tell us that the ignorant - and those who have lost touch with reality - have just as much right to their opinions as anyone else ...

Comment

• Heinrich, you're not a lawyer, are you? You do know that it's too late for the women to sue?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            Heinrich, you're not a lawyer, are you? You do know that it's too late for the women to sue?
                            No, Robert, I'm not a lawyer, just someone naive enough to want that the Metropolitan Police had done their job better.

Comment

I haven't read any posts that blamed the police for murdering the victims, only for failing in their duty to protect the victims and catch a killer.
                              Me neither, then again I didn't state that.

Yes Chris,

Opinions seem to have more sway that facts. That and experience.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Let's...

Let's get a few things straight here.

I know Abberline may have been wrong, I have never stated differently. However, I do regard his observations on Hutchinson as valid and of more value than the ruminations of some modern self-styled expert who has convinced himself that Hutchinson was the Ripper and proceeds to dismiss any alternative views to his own out of hand and in a pompous manner.

I also know that it is possible that Hutchinson was Kelly's murderer (even if he was not the Ripper) but, personally, I very much doubt this. Again I have never gainsaid this.

I have no problem with others believing what they wish and convincing themselves that Hutchinson was 'Jack the Ripper'. Indeed, many years ago I actually assisted Stephen Wright with his Hutchinson-based book and, earlier than that, had a pleasant exchange with Brian Marriner who also held a Hutchinson theory.

I guess what really gets up my nostrils is the attitude of certain pro-Hutchinson posters on these boards whose ramblings present just about everything they say as fact and they dismiss anyone else who does not agree with them as some sort of dimwit who has got it all wrong. As long as twenty years ago one of the leading proponents of the Hutchinson theory was stating that his own work was going to destroy other people's theories. That, to me, smacks of one huge ego - and self delusion.

So, I don't have a problem with anyone having a theory that Hutchinson was the Ripper. As I have stated before, I do have a problem with attitudes, self-righteous commentary and arrogant dismissal of what others think.
                                SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Working...
                                X