Joseph Hyam Levy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Hyam Levy

Just to tie up another loose end, here are the references to the records of the deaths and burials of the third Mitre Square witness, Joseph Hyam Levy, and his wife Amelia (or Milly).

The death of Amelia Levy was registered at Brighton in the third quarter of 1912 (aged 70). She was buried at Plashet Cemetery on 6 September 1912.

The death of Joseph was registered at Fulham in the second quarter of 1914 (aged 73; indexed as Joseph H. Levy). He was buried at Plashet Cemetery on 19 May 1914, in the plot next to Amelia's.

Below are notices of their deaths printed in the Jewish Chronicle, 6 September 1912 and 22 May 1914.

For further biographical information, see Chris Scott's section on Joseph in "A Cast of Thousands" (http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media...seph-levy.html) and Mark King's dissertation on Jacob Levy (http://www.casebook.org/suspects/jacoblevy.html).

Click image for larger version

Name:	MillyLevyDeath6September1912.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	669261

Name:	JosephHyamLevyDeath22May1914.jpg
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	669260

The following notice of Joseph's will appeared in the JC of 17 July 1914. Evidently he was a wealthy man; the value of his estate would equate to £165,000 today based on purchasing power, according to measuringworth.com. In a legal notice concerning his will, published in the JC the following week, he is described as a "Gentleman".

Name:	JosephHyamLevyWill17July1914.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	654427

Comment

Chris, re the Hutchi(n)son property : does this mean that JHL still owned Number One?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        Chris, re the Hutchi(n)son property : does this mean that JHL still owned Number One?
        Yes, it certainly looks as though he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          For further biographical information Mark King's dissertation on Jacob Levy (http://www.casebook.org/suspects/jacoblevy.html).
          The above link did not work for me, so I'll repost it

Anyway...

Calling Chris Scott!

Do we have census reports of Joseph Hyam Levy's immediate birth family? Between 1842 and his marriage in 1866?

I'm wondering if he only had the one sibling, Elizabeth, or if he had any brothers?

I'll ask the same for Jacob Levy.

I'm looking for a familial relationship to an Abraham Levy, who was arrested in December 1887 and served 8 months for theft of clothing from Spiegel's warehouse at 34 Plumber's Row.

Thanks

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
            Do we have census reports of Joseph Hyam Levy's immediate birth family? Between 1842 and his marriage in 1866?

I'm wondering if he only had the one sibling, Elizabeth, or if he had any brothers?

I'll ask the same for Jacob Levy.

I'm looking for a familial relationship to an Abraham Levy, who was arrested in December 1887 and served 8 months for theft of clothing from Spiegel's warehouse at 34 Plumber's Row.
            I have just put together a little article on Joseph Hyam Levy in the Wiki section, which I think includes everything relevant that I know:

You'll see that there's a reference to a brother Elias. There may have been others - Mark King refers to census returns for his parents for 1851-1881, but I haven't seen those.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              The following notice of Joseph's will appeared in the JC of 17 July 1914. Evidently he was a wealthy man; the value of his estate would equate to £165,000 today based on purchasing power, according to measuringworth.com. In a legal notice concerning his will, published in the JC the following week, he is described as a "Gentleman".

[ATTACH]2694[/ATTACH]
              That name ' Joseph Barnett ' is it possibly the same Joe Barnett in connection with Mary Kelly, anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Shelley View Post
                ...is it possibly the same Joe Barnett in connection with Mary Kelly, anyone know?
                1911 Census: 292 Old Ford Road:

Joseph Barnett, head, married, married 28 years, male, 49, fruiterer greengrocer, b. Bethnal Green
                Flora Barnett, wife, married, female, 47, b. Bethnal Green
                David Barnett, son, single, male, 25, fruiterer greengrocer, b. Bethnal Green
                Julia Barnett, daughter, single, female, 22, assistant at stationery warehouse, b. Bethnal Green
                Alice Barnett, daughter, single, female, 20, teacher of music, b. Bethnal Green
                Mark Barnett, son, single, male, 17, school [=scholar], b. Bethnal Green

Joseph and Flora got married in the City of London in 1883q3.

It's not Mary Jane Kelly's Joseph: I'll start another thread with his details.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

HI Chris

I hope you don't mind me using your thread to post my question.

I was wondering/hoping if anyone knew the route that Joseph Levy took home on the night of the double event, I do have a shorter route he could have taken home in some old notes, but not the longer route. If memory serves me right it was the longer route as it was better lit and safer?!

Any help would be appreciated.

Tj
                  It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Working...
                  X