• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debra A
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Merry Christmas debs!!
    Thanks, Abby. Merry Christmas to you too.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Debra A View Post
    As did Irishman John McDuell and his family.
    Merry Christmas debs!!

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
    I believe that Israel Schwartz lived at 22 Ellen Street (having just moved there on the day of Stride's murder).
    As did Irishman John McDuell and his family.

Leave a comment:

• The Station Cat
    replied
    I believe that Israel Schwartz lived at 22 Ellen Street (having just moved there on the day of Stride's murder).
    Last edited by The Station Cat; 12-19-2018, 11:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    There were one lodger plus a married couple at #36 in 1881.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    I think the Schwartz connection to the address at Princes Square was much later in date?
    Yes, it was. I think the house was still part of the Refuge in 1887.

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
    I found her. She was one of the SGE inmates picked up by Debs because they had lived at case-related addresses.

Interestingly, after leaving 36, Berner Street she lived for a while at 26, Princes Square, which was the location of the Bridge of Hope Refuge run by Mary Steer. For good measure it was directly opposite Liz Stride’s Swedish Church.

And didn’t Tracy I’anson find a Schwartz connection to that same address?
    I think the Schwartz connection to the address at Princes Square was much later in date?

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Debs,

There was another family, the Wilsons, there in 1891.

What do we know about Margaret Curtis?
    I found her. She was one of the SGE inmates picked up by Debs because they had lived at case-related addresses.

Interestingly, after leaving 36, Berner Street she lived for a while at 26, Princes Square, which was the location of the Bridge of Hope Refuge run by Mary Steer. For good measure it was directly opposite Liz Stride’s Swedish Church.

And didn’t Tracy I’anson find a Schwartz connection to that same address?

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    I wonder how she came to be living on her own means by 1891. Perhaps old man Piggott had a few bob.
    Last edited by MrBarnett; 12-16-2018, 10:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    In Sept 1887 a 29 year old single woman named Margaret Curtis had also been living at 36 Berner Street for 12 months. I wonder if it was in multiple occupation, or maybe Fanny took in lodgers to help pay the rent while her husband was laid up?
    Debs,

There was another family, the Wilsons, there in 1891.

What do we know about Margaret Curtis?

Leave a comment:

• Debra A
    replied
    According to Booth's researcher in June, 1887, the occupier of 36, Berner Street was a railway carman who had 'been laid up for some time'. William Mortimer died in March, 1889, aged 49, so he may well have been continuously ill between 87 and his death.
    In Sept 1887 a 29 year old single woman named Margaret Curtis had also been living at 36 Berner Street for 12 months. I wonder if it was in multiple occupation, or maybe Fanny took in lodgers to help pay the rent while her husband was laid up?

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    36 Berner St (F Mortimer).

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    After William's death, Fanny Mortimer nee Skipp married David Piggott in 1893. By 1901 she's a widow and living with her son John Mortimer. Ditto 1911. I think she died 1918.
    She moved to Poplar and was living on her own means by 1901.

Where was she in ‘91?

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    After William's death, Fanny Mortimer nee Skipp married David Piggott in 1893. By 1901 she's a widow and living with her son John Mortimer. Ditto 1911. I think she died 1918.

Leave a comment:

• MrBarnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    Here's the blurb from the NA website;

"Tailor's workshop of Harris Chaimofsky, Christian Street, London, c.1910. Harris Chaimofsky is at the right. Standing at the back (left) is Jacob Minsky, visiting the workshop at the time the picture was taken"
    Ah, so it’s his neighbour’s workshop? Perhaps it was the Minsky family who donated both photos to the NA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X