Blood spatter in the Tabram murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all!

I´d like to comment on a post on Tabram, made some weeks back. In it, DVV wrote "Asserting that an ordinary knife cannot pierce a breast bone is sheer stupidity. A knife can even go through a head."

... to which Wickerman replied: "Agreed, can you put a name to this "stupid" one?
    I don't see Killeen making that comment, modern authors might have. Another case of misunderstanding Killeen's words I think. But please, if you know a quote where Killeen said that a penknife could not penetrate bone kindly remind me."

After that, nothing else was said on the specific matter of Killeen having spoken about this phenomenon.
    Which is strange. For indeed, Killeen DID suggest this very thing! Whether it makes him "stupid" or not, is another matter entirely, though, as we shall see.

In the East London Observer of 18 August, Killeen stated, on the wound to the sternum and how it came about: "...of this he was sure that it must have been an heavy, dagger-pointed instrument, since an ordinary knife-blade would have been broken by contact with the bone.”

Now, you can react to this statement in one of two ways: You can either say, like DVV, that this is plain dumb – we all know that bone has been pierced by many an ordinary knife-blade.

Indeed! Incidentally, this Killeen would have been very much aware of too.

The other reaction – and a more sound approach to the riddle – would be to ask "but what is an ordinary knife-blade"?

A pen-knife is ordinary. A butcher´s knife is ordinary. A hunting knife is ordinary. A bayonet is ordinary. A clasp knife is ordinary. A bread knife is ordinary. But the resistance power built into the very different blades of these knives varies totally and utterly. Some will be a lot more fragile than others, and more likely to break in contact with bone.

The all-important factor when listening to Killeen here is to realize that he does not say that ANY "ordinary" knife-blade would break in contact with bone. For that he would have known was untrue.
    No, what we need to do is to look at all of the relevant details from the paper. And it goes like this:

“There is one fact noted by Inspector Reid which seems to prove that the murderer was a military man, and that is the wound on the breast bone of the woman. It will be recollected that at the inquest, when asked his opinion as to the instrument with which the wounds were inflicted, Dr. Keeling [Killeen] replied that they were undoubtedly committed with an ordinary pocket-knife - all except the wound on the breast bone. As to the instrument with which that had been caused he could not say with any degree of certainty, but of this he was sure that it must have been an heavy, dagger-pointed instrument, since an ordinary knife-blade would have been broken by contact with the bone.”

And here we may note that Killeen specifies WHICH type of "ordinary" knife-blade he spoke of: that of a pocket-knife! We also have it on record that Killeen spoke of a pen-knife, and that is of course a knife that very much resembles a pocket-knife in terms of blade size.

Killeen viewed the body in situ, and he subsequently carried out the post-mortem on Tabram. This means that he carefully examined each and every one of the 37 punctured wounds that he reported would have been made by a pen- or pocket knife. We may from this deduct that the wounds inflicted on Tabram corresponded with a blade that was thin enough, short enough and narrow enough to be best described as a pen- or pocket-knife blade.

The 37 wounds were not 15 centimetres deep. Equally, they were not an inch broad. If they had been, Killeen would not have spoken of a pen- or pocket knife.

Killeen knew full well how that blade looked. 37 wounds do not leave you in doubt of such a thing - it is more, much more, than enough to form a very good opinion. And Killeen felt sure that the blade was so smallish that it would have broken if tried at the sternum. One factor that may have contributed to his decision could be that a pocket knife blade is folded into the knife, meaning that the blade is not anywhere near as firmly rooted into the handle as that of a non-folding knife.

To suggest a folding knife would furthermore not be a strange thing to do. Both Millwood and Wilson became victims of folding clasp knives, fished out of a pocket, remember. The same may well have gone for Kitty Ronan, as the same sort of weapon was found on the floor of the room in which she was killed.

Let´s also keep in mind that the risk of breaking the blade was NOT the only divider that Killeen used in describing the differences inbetween the blades. The sternum weapon was – in glearing contrast to the pen- or pocket knife – described by the good doctor as a "long, strong" instrument. And we have it from the Star, on the wounds, that " ...the probably fatal one - certainly much the largest and deepest of any - is under the heart."

So one wound was MUCH LARGER and DEEPER than the others, something that apparently also impressed Reid. Once again: "There is one fact noted by Inspector Reid which seems to prove that the murderer was a military man, and that is the wound on the breast bone of the woman."
    Reid would not have concluded that only military men could pierce bone with a pen knife, would he? Instead, the character of the wound would probably have suggested to him that a bayonet had been used, right or wrong. Why else would he have spoken of the wound pointing to a military man?

None of us are in a position to confirm Reids suspicion, since none of us have seen Tabram´s chest wound. Reid did, though, just as Killeen did. And both of them concluded that the weapon used at the chest was a powerful, long one, thereby differing from the other, smaller wounds.

Who did NOT differ though, were the contemporaries of Reid and Killeen. Not a single voice was recorded as disagreeing on this point, which means that we are on extremely thin ice when we today try to argue that there was only one blade. All the evidence available tells a totally different story.

But it is not a story that makes Killeen (or Reid) stupid. On the contrary.

All the best,
    Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      Hi all!

I´d like to comment on a post on Tabram, made some weeks back. In it, DVV wrote "Asserting that an ordinary knife cannot pierce a breast bone is sheer stupidity. A knife can even go through a head."

... to which Wickerman replied: "Agreed, can you put a name to this "stupid" one?
      I don't see Killeen making that comment, modern authors might have. Another case of misunderstanding Killeen's words I think. But please, if you know a quote where Killeen said that a penknife could not penetrate bone kindly remind me."

After that, nothing else was said on the specific matter of Killeen having spoken about this phenomenon.
      Which is strange. For indeed, Killeen DID suggest this very thing! Whether it makes him "stupid" or not, is another matter entirely, though, as we shall see.

In the East London Observer of 18 August, Killeen stated, on the wound to the sternum and how it came about: "...of this he was sure that it must have been an heavy, dagger-pointed instrument, since an ordinary knife-blade would have been broken by contact with the bone.”

Now, you can react to this statement in one of two ways: You can either say, like DVV, that this is plain dumb – we all know that bone has been pierced by many an ordinary knife-blade.

Indeed! Incidentally, this Killeen would have been very much aware of too.

The other reaction – and a more sound approach to the riddle – would be to ask "but what is an ordinary knife-blade"?

A pen-knife is ordinary. A butcher´s knife is ordinary. A hunting knife is ordinary. A bayonet is ordinary. A clasp knife is ordinary. A bread knife is ordinary. But the resistance power built into the very different blades of these knives varies totally and utterly. Some will be a lot more fragile than others, and more likely to break in contact with bone.

The all-important factor when listening to Killeen here is to realize that he does not say that ANY "ordinary" knife-blade would break in contact with bone. For that he would have known was untrue.
      No, what we need to do is to look at all of the relevant details from the paper. And it goes like this:

“There is one fact noted by Inspector Reid which seems to prove that the murderer was a military man, and that is the wound on the breast bone of the woman. It will be recollected that at the inquest, when asked his opinion as to the instrument with which the wounds were inflicted, Dr. Keeling [Killeen] replied that they were undoubtedly committed with an ordinary pocket-knife - all except the wound on the breast bone. As to the instrument with which that had been caused he could not say with any degree of certainty, but of this he was sure that it must have been an heavy, dagger-pointed instrument, since an ordinary knife-blade would have been broken by contact with the bone.”

And here we may note that Killeen specifies WHICH type of "ordinary" knife-blade he spoke of: that of a pocket-knife! We also have it on record that Killeen spoke of a pen-knife, and that is of course a knife that very much resembles a pocket-knife in terms of blade size.

Killeen viewed the body in situ, and he subsequently carried out the post-mortem on Tabram. This means that he carefully examined each and every one of the 37 punctured wounds that he reported would have been made by a pen- or pocket knife. We may from this deduct that the wounds inflicted on Tabram corresponded with a blade that was thin enough, short enough and narrow enough to be best described as a pen- or pocket-knife blade.

The 37 wounds were not 15 centimetres deep. Equally, they were not an inch broad. If they had been, Killeen would not have spoken of a pen- or pocket knife.

Killeen knew full well how that blade looked. 37 wounds do not leave you in doubt of such a thing - it is more, much more, than enough to form a very good opinion. And Killeen felt sure that the blade was so smallish that it would have broken if tried at the sternum. One factor that may have contributed to his decision could be that a pocket knife blade is folded into the knife, meaning that the blade is not anywhere near as firmly rooted into the handle as that of a non-folding knife.

To suggest a folding knife would furthermore not be a strange thing to do. Both Millwood and Wilson became victims of folding clasp knives, fished out of a pocket, remember. The same may well have gone for Kitty Ronan, as the same sort of weapon was found on the floor of the room in which she was killed.

Let´s also keep in mind that the risk of breaking the blade was NOT the only divider that Killeen used in describing the differences inbetween the blades. The sternum weapon was – in glearing contrast to the pen- or pocket knife – described by the good doctor as a "long, strong" instrument. And we have it from the Star, on the wounds, that " ...the probably fatal one - certainly much the largest and deepest of any - is under the heart."

So one wound was MUCH LARGER and DEEPER than the others, something that apparently also impressed Reid. Once again: "There is one fact noted by Inspector Reid which seems to prove that the murderer was a military man, and that is the wound on the breast bone of the woman."
      Reid would not have concluded that only military men could pierce bone with a pen knife, would he? Instead, the character of the wound would probably have suggested to him that a bayonet had been used, right or wrong. Why else would he have spoken of the wound pointing to a military man?

None of us are in a position to confirm Reids suspicion, since none of us have seen Tabram´s chest wound. Reid did, though, just as Killeen did. And both of them concluded that the weapon used at the chest was a powerful, long one, thereby differing from the other, smaller wounds.

Who did NOT differ though, were the contemporaries of Reid and Killeen. Not a single voice was recorded as disagreeing on this point, which means that we are on extremely thin ice when we today try to argue that there was only one blade. All the evidence available tells a totally different story.

But it is not a story that makes Killeen (or Reid) stupid. On the contrary.

All the best,
      Fisherman
      welcome back Fish. Where you been?

Comment

• Thanks, Abby!

I´ve been in many places, actually, Whitechapel and the East end counting amongst them...

The best,
        Fisherman

Comment

• Hi Christer, hope you're fine my dear, it's really great to see you back (and I mean it).
          You were in my mind every time I've pointed out the bayonet nonsense.
          It was simply delightful.

Comment

• very acute

Hello Christer. Good to hear from you. Hope you are well.

Thanks for posting these cutting remarks about Tabram. You are sharp as always.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
              Thanks, Abby!

I´ve been in many places, actually, Whitechapel and the East end counting amongst them...

The best,
              Fisherman
              wow. Sounds like fun. oh and great post on Tabrams wounds.

Comment

• David:

"Hi Christer, hope you're fine my dear, it's really great to see you back (and I mean it)."

Why wouldn´t you? And thanks!

"You were in my mind every time I've pointed out the bayonet nonsense.
                It was simply delightful."

There is no bayonet "nonsense", I´m afraid. Killeen was of the meaning that the breastplate piercer was something like a heavy dagger, but by the looks of things he did not object to the suggestion of a bayonet. And since we have Reid on record stating that the breast wound to him seemed to PROVE (!) that a military man was responsible for it, I think you may need to rethink the "nonsense" part. Contemporary sources among medicos and high-ranking policemen are more often than not the best we´ve got. I think you would agree with that.

The best,
                Fisherman

Comment

• Lynn:

"Hello Christer. Good to hear from you. Hope you are well.

Thanks for posting these cutting remarks about Tabram. You are sharp as always."

Thanks, Lynn! Good to hear your voice again!

The best,
                  Fisherman

Comment

• Abby:

"Sounds like fun."

It was!

"oh and great post on Tabrams wounds."

Again thanks!

The best,
                    Fisherman

Comment

• Hi Fish
                      Killeen was of the meaning that the breastplate piercer was something like a heavy dagger, but by the looks of things he did not object to the suggestion of a bayonet.
                      True. And any forensic expert would laugh at such a suggestion. Come on, you know Killeen wasn't an expert, and the knife that stabbed Martha 38 times without breaking wasn't a toy.
                      What is a breastbone, for God's sake ?
                      Is there a Swedish expression that says : "Hard like an old prostitute's breastbone ?"

And since we have Reid on record stating that the breast wound to him seemed to PROVE (!) that a military man was responsible for it,
                      Reid might have speculated this in the heat of the moment, and clearly he was on some soldiers trail in August. Therefore, nothing to baulk at.
                      But as far as we know, when the case became that of JtR, Reid's opinion was that Tabram was a Ripper victim.
                      Now you really should take the story the other way round : don't you suspect Killeen said "bayonet" precisely because the police suspected a soldier ?
                      Which would make that bayonet suggestion even more ridiculous.

I think you may need to rethink the "nonsense" part. Contemporary sources among medicos and high-ranking policemen are more often than not the best we´ve got. I think you would agree with that.
                      Killeen wasn't qualified for the job. They would have never called him if Martha had been killed in September. And we know forensic experts themselves could make gross mistakes, for Bond and Phillips often disagreed.

Comment

• David:

"any forensic expert would laugh at such a suggestion."

Would they now? What, then, would there be to laugh about, exactly? If the hole in the sternum was big and deep, why would any "forensic expert" find it laughable to have it suggested that the wound had been caused by a long, sturdy weapon - like, say, a dagger or a bayonet?

You have me confused here, David. Or, perhaps more likely, you may have something else confused.

"Come on, you know Killeen wasn't an expert, and the knife that stabbed Martha 38 times without breaking wasn't a toy. "

I´m afraid Killeen WAS an expert, at least as far as medical judgment goes. But there would not have been much need for expertise to measure the entrance holes, would there? The same applies for measuring the depth of the holes at the slab - it is not exactly rocket science for a medical man, is it?

As for the knife not being a toy: who suggested such a thing? Surely not me? All I said was that the blade would have had to be smallish and not very sturdy, since Killeen was of the meaning that it risked breaking when hitting hard bone. That does not make the knife a toy - it merely clearly establishes that it was a small - or very small- blade, which of course is another thing altogether.
                        Knives, big and/or small, are all dangerous and potentially lethal. It´s just that some of them are not as well suited for piercing breastbones as others.

"What is a breastbone, for God's sake ?"

It is a hard plate of bone, extremely well suited for establishing width and shape of any weapon thrust cleanly through it.

"Reid might have speculated this in the heat of the moment, and clearly he was on some soldiers trail in August."

The heat of the moment? The article was published on the 18:th, giving Reid ample time to have cooled off. A week and a half after the deed, he had apparently decided that the wound gave away a soldiers presence at the deed. And a week and a half of studying the wound and contemplating it´s connotations is a long time, David.

"Now you really should take the story the other way round : don't you suspect Killeen said "bayonet" precisely because the police suspected a soldier ?
                        Which would make that bayonet suggestion even more ridiculous."

Reversing stories is often a dangerous thing to do, especially if we cannot find any evidence at all to suggest such a thing. So I stick with the a-z version instead of the z-a one. And I am quite confident that Killeen did not lamely adjust to the police view. He would simply have accepted that a bayonet MAY have been the weapon that represented what he himself had suggested to be a long, strong instrument. After all, that is exactly what a bayonet is, is it not? And there are numerous types of bayonets around, some of them very closely resemling dagger blades. There is nothing strange at all with that.

And let me assure you, David, there is nothing ridiculous at all about the suggestion of a bayonet. Nor can there be any certainty that it WAS a bayonet. It was a weapon that was long and strong, that produced a deep and large hole, and that had Reid convinced that a military man was responsible - and I would say that the only ridiculous thing to do, given that information, would be to try and rule out a bayonet on no grounds at all.

After all, what evidence can you produce that points away from a bayonet?

"Killeen wasn't qualified for the job."

I´m afraid that such a statement needs substantiation too, David. There is not a shred of evidence that anybody thought Killeen unqualified. All we have is a coroner that thanks Killeen for having given his evidence "well indeed", an experienced police officer that clearly corroborates Killeens verdict of a different weapon,much larger and sturdier, having been used at the sternum and newspaper articles that bolster this.
                        The fact that forensic experts may be wrong really does not apply in this discussion, since there is no sign at all of anybody disagreeing with Killeen. If he had been questioned or criticized back in 1888 by some other medico or forensic expert, it would have been another thing. As it stands, though, every source that has something to say about the affair instead corroborates and or commands the good doctor, the coroner, the papers, Reid - all of them say the same thing. And that leaves Killeen completely in the clear and totally undeserving of any allegations of being unqualified for his job, I´m afraid.

Lastly, keep in mind that Killeen himself would have worked from an initial assumption that the same blade was resonsible for all the wounds. It will have taken something very substantial to make the call Killeen made. Let´s not loose track of that fact.

All the best,
                        Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
                          Killeen wasn't qualified for the job.
                          We're not talking about delivering papers, or cutting grass, this was an autopsy, serious business. There were plenty of qualified surgeons around "IF" Killeen had not been qualified.
                          My question is, "are you are qualified to judge?".

And we know forensic experts themselves could make gross mistakes, for Bond and Phillips often disagreed.
                          Differences of opinion are not "mistakes". Two professionals can both make educated guesses using informed opinion without either being judged incompetent.

Regards, Jon S.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• *Hi all!

Since there is an ongoing discussion about whether knife blades break or not during stabbings, I trawled the net for information pointing to this actually happening. I found that there are heaps of cases when this very thing has occured; hundreds of them.

I list a few of them here.

Any which way, much as this can have no bearing specifically on the Tabram affair, it goes to show that knives will break during stabbings every now and then! Here goes:
                            Classification: Murderer
                            Characteristics: Robbery
                            Number of victims:*1
                            Date of murder: May 21, 1990
                            Date of arrest: Next day
                            Date of birth: November 18, 1964
                            Victim profile:*Ella Foy Riley (female, 68)
                            Method of murder: Stabbing with knife - Strangulation
                            Status: Executed by lethal injection in Alabama on May 14, 2009
                            *Summary: 

McNair and another man went to the home of Ella Foy Riley, an elderly widow who lived alone and occasionally hired McNair to do yard work. When Ella came to the door, McNair asked her if he could borrow twenty dollars. Riley told him she had no money to lend him. McNair then asked if he could have a glass of water.
                            Ella invited him in, and when she turned around McNair grabbed her by the neck and stabbed her in the throat. When the blade of the knife broke off in Ella’s neck, McNair’s companion retrieved another knife from the kitchen and McNair stabbed Ella in the neck again, then strangled her for several minutes as she bled to death.
                            +++

From ”Select autopsy topics”:

In a person with multiple stab wounds, the blade of the knife broke off during a stab wound on the back and became embedded in the back.
                            +++

From ”The Otago Daily Times”:

The supporters of a Dunedin man who attempted to murder his ex-girlfriend with a knife and an axe cheered and clapped as he was sent to prison for six years and four months, while the family of his victim cried out in outrage.
                            Jerome Folimatama (18) blew a kiss and a did a victory sign to his smiling supporters in the upstairs public gallery in the High Court at Dunedin as he was led down to the cells after his sentencing yesterday.
                            In July, Folimatama stabbed Samantha Jo King (23), who is also the mother of his baby son, multiple times at her South Rd home and when the blade of the knife broke off in her chest he got an axe and hit her over the head with the blade.
                            +++

From ”The Star Ledger”:

Margarito Flores, 37, of Riverdale, allegedly stabbed Alberto Sierra-Arias, 31, also of Riverdale, five times at a Hamburg Turnpike home shortly after midnight on Tuesday, according to a complaint signed by Riverdale Detective John Barone.
                            The two men were visiting three others at the home, drinking and watching television, the complaint states, when an argument broke out between Flores and Sierra-Arias over who earned more money.
                            Flores allegedly pulled out a knife and stabbed Sierra-Arias four times near his shoulder and once on the inside of his right thigh, Barone said. The blade of the knife broke off and lodged in Sierra-Arias’ leg.
                            +++

From ”The free Farlex library:

Wife knifed 20 times
                            An enraged husband stabbed his wife 20 times in a frenzied attack in Coventry city centre.

People on their way to work watched in horror as the man went berserk*near to Pool Meadow bus station.
                            Details of the terrifying incident, which happened in the early morning rush hour on June 6, were revealed to a court yesterday when Mohammed Islam admitted attempted murder.
                            The court heard that Islam had fallen out with his wife's family. That morning he lay in wait for 23-year-old Nasima near to the bus station.
                            As she walked along listening to her portable music player Nasima was unaware that Islam was approaching her with a kitchen knife.
                            He plunged the knife at her saying she was going to die.
                            She managed to defend herself from the first blow with her handbag, but couldn't save herself as Islam repeatedly stabbed her.
                            One blow was so powerful that the blade of the knife broke under the force, the court was told.
                            +++

From The US department of justice:

According to court documents, during the evening of July 8, 2009, Smith*and other members and associates of the UTL tribe attempted to murder another individual in Germantown, Md.* The individual*was walking on a residential street with two friends when a car approached and several people got out and began chasing the individual, who was able to hide for several minutes.* When the individual left his hiding place, he was chased again.* The individual was hit in the back of the head and fell to the ground.* Smith admitted that he*and the other UTL members and associates beat the individual with a bat-like object, and kicked, punched and stabbed the individual multiple times.* In fact, the victim was stabbed with such force that the blade of the knife broke off during the attack and was recovered at the scene.*
                            +++

From ”Georgia Caselaw”:

The evidence supporting Gibson's convictions and death sentence is detailed in Gibson, 261 Ga. at 313-314 (1). Gibson entered a grocery store and killed the owner with a knife by stabbing and slashing him 39 times. He attacked with such force that the blade of the knife broke in the victim's neck vertebrae, and still he continued stabbing with the handle and blade remnant.
                            +++

From ”Mail online”:

Williams returned before the police could arrive and carried out the murder, the court heard.
                            'He was driving so quickly that he crashed his car into the front of the house,' Mr Harrington said, speaking of Williams returning.
                            'He then kicked in the front door. He went to the kitchen and armed himself with the largest knife he could find.
                            'This was a kitchen knife with a sharp penetrating blade. He then went upstairs and murdered Ms Michael.'
                            He added: 'What the defendant did was to attack Joanna Michael in each part of the upstairs of her house.'
                            He said the brutal attack was so violent the blade of the knife used in the murder broke.
                            +++

And there we are!

The best,
                            Fisherman

Comment

• Hitchcock

Hello Christer. Excellent examples. If your taste is for cinema, you likely recall the scene from Hitchcock's "Torn Curtain" where the German lady stabs Gromek with a knife in the upper chest and the blade breaks leaving half of it embedded inside him.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Surely a pen-knife, yes ...?

The best
                                Fisherman

Comment

Working...
                                X