Blood spatter in the Tabram murder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always the jester, eh, David?

Well, the things I have learnt are not less amazing, let me tell you that!

And now I will adapt Sally´s technique, and answer you, point by point:

1. I never said exactly that.
    2. I never said exactly that.
    3. I never said exactly that.
    4. I never said exactly that.
    5. I never said exactly that.

"Stop quibbling, accept defeat and be thankful"

Now, THERE´S a useful idea ...

The best,
    Fisherman

Comment

• Since we have an attempt at hand to try and rule a bayonet out as a possible weapon in the Tabram murder, and since the party promoting this idea leans against the so called Home Office annotations, we may as well take a closer look at these annotations and try to establish of what value they may be to us.

This is how they describe the Nichols murder:

"Mary Ann Nichols (45)31.8.88. between 2.30 and 3.45 on footway in Buck’s Row, Whitechapel
      throat cut, nearly severing head from body, abdomen cut open from centre of bottom of ribs along right side, under pelvis to left of stomach, there the wound was jagged: the coating of the stomach was cut in several places: Two small stabs on private parts: may have been done by a strong bladed knife? By a left handed man.
      money: and nothing left behind.
      parts removed
      The description of the cut is not quite clear? clerical error pelvis = pubes.
      If so, the cut would be a circular sweep starting from centre of waist"

Now, how correct is this? To begin with, the time space given does not include the fact that Neil told at the inquest that Nichols was NOT dead at 3.15: "I had been round there half an hour previously, and I saw no one then." Moreover, it was established that Nichols was still warm when found, meaning that she had not been dead for more than a few minutes. Therefore it is rubbish to set the death time to "between 2.30 and 3.45".

Next: "By a left handed man." This was Llewellyn´s initial stance, but he did not hang on to it for very long. Certainly, long before Eddowes died - and these annotations were compiled AFTER that - the "left-handed" business had been abandoned by the doctor. But apparently, the Home Office official/s that compiled the annotations were unaware of this. The information in this instance is thus uniformed. And just HOW uniformed is gleaned by the next passage:

"The description of the cut is not quite clear? clerical error pelvis = pubes.
      If so, the cut would be a circular sweep starting from centre of waist"

Not quite clear? Obviously, the Home Office has not got a clue here. If this Home Office report was to have gained any trust at all, it would need to be informed. Here we have another good example of how UNINFORMED it was. No questions asked in relation to Llewellyn, who could easily have explained what the wounds were really like. Spratling could have done the same - had he been asked. But none of them were. The Home Office were quite content reading the press reports, it would seem, instead of the relevant reports compiled by the ones who knew. As a consequence, they stayed happily uninformed - or outright misinformed - about the vital details attaching to the Nichols murder.

Also, of course: "parts removed". Really?

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the almighty source we are asked to believe in, when deciding if a bayonet had been used in George Yard or not. And bear in mind that the annotations do not even voice any certainty, informed OR uniformed, about this when it comes to the total amount of wounds on Tabram. All that is commented upon is an unidentified number of the narrow wounds.

Anybody who thinks this is a reliable and useful source, well informed and up to standards? Someone? Anyone, who wants to defend the report and it´s inherent qualities?

The best,
      Fisherman
      Last edited by Fisherman; 03-12-2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
        1. I never said exactly that.
        2. I never said exactly that.
        3. I never said exactly that.
        4. I never said exactly that.
        5. I never said exactly that.

Fisherman
        Exactly, Fish.
        So let's say, with much tact and diplomacy, that you are not exactly right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
          Always the jester, eh, David?
          Fisherman
          Never meant to hurt you, my dear. My apologies if I did.

Comment

• David:

"So let's say, with much tact and diplomacy, that you are not exactly right."

Tact? Not really. Diplomacy? None at all. Eloquence? Absolutely, full points for that!

The trouble is, however, that it would be very hard for either of us to say to what extent I am correct - and even harder to try and merge our views together, I fear.

But why not discuss the details instead of making witty jokes about them? More fun, if you ask me.

"Never meant to hurt you, my dear. My apologies if I did."

None called for, David. It takes a lot more to hurt me. I rather enjoy your jokes most of the time. But, as I said, I would prefer a little less fun and a little more serious arguments.

Anyway, David ...

Fisherman

Comment

• Fisherman,

You continue to misunderstand. If any of the wounds were still in contention for the Tabram murder, the Home Office document would have alluded to them. The annotation was concerned specifically with the weaponry allegedly involved in the Tabram murder. The thrust of the observation was that whichever wounds were initially suspected of being bayonet inflicted, they later weren’t. Obviously, it would have made little sense to address those wounds that were never suspected of being bayonet inflicted. Why refute a bayonet theory for wounds that never suspected as having been caused by a bayonet? If the bayonet was NOT ruled out “totally”, the Home Office document would have said so explicitly, unless those responsible for writing it were insane. They would have said, “but another wound DID reveal that unmistakably bayonetish wound”.

That none of the wounds were ultimately considered to have been bayonet inflicted can be inferred from two things:

1) A refutation of the bayonet theory for “some” of the wounds.

2) The complete non-reference to any other wounds for which the bayonet might still be in contention.

As far as I know, every author who has ever addressed the Home Office document (book, article, it doesn’t matter) has concluded that they were discounting the bayonet theory in general. Now, you might conclude that they were in error to do so (and I look forward, if necessary, to another stamina war on that topic), but to challenge the essence of what they were saying is simply ludicrous. The only minor error in the annotation was the number of wounds suspected of having been caused by a bayonet. They said that some were thus suspected, and not one. It doesn’t matter. Macnaghten made the same error. They were clearly referring to the wound or wounds that WERE suspected of having been caused by a bayonet.

“The all-important possibility you leave out here is that Abberline may have been exactly where very many of us today are when it comes to Tabram - on the fence.”
              He lacked the proof, as we all do, but he evidently considered it probable that Tabram was not only a ripper victim, but also the first of the ripper’s victims. He referred to the George Yard connection because he believed it lent weight to the proposal that Klosowski was the ripper. If he didn’t buy Tabram as a ripper victim, the George Yard connection would not have lent any such weight, and was thus a pointless thing to mention. This also holds true if Abberline considered it a remote out-side chance that Tabram was a ripper victim. His comments only make sense if he subscribed to the opinion that Tabram probable was one, and this is made abundantly clear from his reference to Tabram as the “first murder”.

“Make the assumption, if you will, Ben, that Abberline had had information proving that George Chapman had been drinking in Osborne Street the very night Emma Smith died. Make the further assumption that Abberline was of the meaning that Smith was not a Ripper killing - but could not rule out that the Ripper HAD been one in the gang that did for Smith.”
              But in that instance, I would revise my stance and incorporate Emma Smith into the ripper’s likely tally, and I’m sure Abberline would have done too. Think about it. Imagine I’m confronted with a suspect – let’s say Klosowski – who ticks all the boxes, and was seen drinking (as per your idea) on Osbourne Street on the night of Emma Smith’s death. That “coincidence” would be more than sufficient to revise me view about Smith not being a ripper victim. Such a revelation would convert a potential ripper victim into a likely one.

“The first murder in the series regarded as being the potential work of one and the same man, Ben.”
              As being the likely work of one and the same man, Fisherman, according to Abberline at least. However implausible Smith might have seemed as a ripper victim, she was still a potential one, and yet Abberline omitted her entirely and referred to Martha Tabram as the “first murder”. This would only make sense if he meant the first likely murder of Jack the Ripper, and not the first possible murder of Jack the Ripper, because the second description does NOT fit Tabram.

The “widespread belief” that a soldier may have been responsible for the Tabram murder only existed in the immediate aftermath of the event. Once the bayonet theory had been dispensed with and Pearly Poll proved a useless witness, the evidence against the soldiery was weak at best, and with the police seniority all supporting Tabram as a ripper victim, that widespread belief evidently faded rather quickly.

I really wouldn’t have wasted time pointing out the errors in the Home Office document. We’re all perfectly aware that they exist, just as we’re all perfectly aware that some glaring errors crept into the Abberline interview currently under discussion, but you shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bathwater in that case any more than you should in this one. We don’t need your commentary on what those errors are either. The document was reproduced in full on another thread, and anyone with any knowledge of the crimes will be able to spot those errors. The revision of the bayonet theory was wholly unrelated to any of the errors they made regarding Nicholls’ wounds.

The Home Office did not reply on press reports for their documents. There was no press report asserting that bayonet wounds are quite unmistakable. This was evidently a realization on the part of the police, presumably after seeking expert advice, which was passed on to the Home Office. It wasn’t dreamt up by the boy who makes the tea. The fact that errors were present does not mean that they were ill-informed. It simply meant that there was a miscommunication somewhere.

And once again, you must show some consistency in applying your dogma. If you think the entire document must be discarded because of a few errors, then what on earth does that say for the Dew Spew that was, to your estimation, “riddled with mistakes”? If you don’t hurl that to the wolves because of those errors, then why apply such transparent double-standards with the Home Office document?

It is trustworthy source, as I’m prepared to reiterate for longer than you can ever hope to keep reiterating that it isn’t. There is nothing to indicate that the revision of the bayonet theory was anything other than wholly accurate.

Regards,
              Ben
              Last edited by Ben; 03-12-2012, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• motus vivaldi

Tabram was murdered by one soldier and a half with a pensword or a daggernet.

Comment

• Euthenasia

If the poor woman had been forced to sit through this lot, she'd have probably considered suicide and, falling on the blade(s) thirty nine times, gone to a happier place...:-)

Dave
                  Last edited by Cogidubnus; 03-12-2012, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                    If the poor woman had been forced to sit through this lot, she'd have probably considered suicide and, falling on the blade(s) thirty nine times, gone to a happier place...:-)

Dave
                    Funny you should mention that, Dave. Apparently Killeen did say that some of the wounds (but not all) could have been self-inflicted.

Maybe we've just had it wrong all this time?

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
                      Tabram was murdered by one soldier and a half with a pensword or a daggernet.
                      What's that? Penfold or Dangermouse? I can believe it...

Comment

• Think the quality of this debate just improved tenfold!

Comment

• Poll

Oh I See. We've already had a Poll.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=2997

And it looks as though just over two thirds of respondents think Tabram was a Ripper Victim. That's a singular Ripper, I assume, not a multiplicity of Rippers with multiple weapons.

Ah well, no need for another poll then. Shame.

Fisherman - you didn't happen to vote in that poll did you?

I think I might.
                          Last edited by Sally; 03-12-2012, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Funny but I didn't see the number of weapons mentioned in the poll question...must be losing it in my old age....tch...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                              Funny but I didn't see the number of weapons mentioned in the poll question...must be losing it in my old age....tch...
                              That's true. I think the general presumption here is that a single killer wouldn't use two knives - one weapon = one killer; two weapons = two naughty soldiers. Most people, I think, would agree that as a sensible assumption.

If you want a single killer using more than one weapon you have to explain why. Not impossible, but intrinsically unlikely.

Comment

• Nonetheless you know what presumptions are like...the thing that initially puts me off the two soldier scenario is the Pearly Poll statement, which places the initial two soldiers hours back (must be the world's slowest "quickie"!).

Later on, of course, another soldier appears to be openly waiting around for his mate...fair enough, but unlikely perhaps to have behaved so calmly hotfoot from administering the 38 cuts, and bearing in mind a copper's around, unlikely perhaps to now lope off and administer the coup de grace...

Anything's possible I suppose, but this doesn't feel right to me...

Comment

Working...
                                X