Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Bennett Photo discussion (moved thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice the brick jamb seems to corner hear, suggesting a foyer that may turn to the left. If this is so, there would be no ascending steps on left.

Click image for larger version

Name:	George yard door 3.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	658551

The maximum riser (height) for each step would probably be 8 inches
    The minimum tread (depth) for each step would probably be 12 inches
    At those dimensions it would take 15 steps to scale 10 ft of height and of course 15 ft deep.
    The riser could be shorter and the tread deeper but from what can be gained from the photo the former dimensions could be correct.

The first and second floors appear to be taller than the ground floor and the third floor but this may be an illusion.

I do not believe that a gallery or a balcony would have been confused with a landing; which was the term used in the various testimonies.

Question- Where would the facilities ( WC) be if not arranged similar to those in the adjacent building?
    Best Wishes,
    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Hmm. I wonder if this could be a clue?

Originally posted by DVV View Post
      Originally Posted by Chris Scott

On the 7 August 1888, there was found on the first floor landing, next door to the toilets ("à côté des lieux d'aisances"), the body of Martha Turner, stabbed with 39 wounds.

I didn't know that her body was found "next door to the toilets" - has someone read this detail before ?

Comment

Hi Chris,

I was just about to post the same article that David had found. I would imagine the interior layout would be similar to the plan of the neighboring building that Colin posted. The toilets had to be somewhere and I doubt with a building this large that they would have been outside.

How the sequence of steps from the ground floor incorporate with the rest, including a first floor landing is a puzzle at the moment.
        Best Wishes,
        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

I didn't post this earlier since I assumed it was an illustration with which most are familiar. Perhaps, though, it might shed some light on the layout and construction of the building.

Name:	Tabram2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	658566

All the best.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Hi Garry,

it's indeed a nice and well known drawing, and can tell something about the building.
            However, the body couldn't be there. Too close to the door, and it would also contradict Crow's testimony.

Amitiés,
            David

Comment

Hello David!

Well, let's put the testimonies from the victims introduction of this site right here:

"...3:30 AM: Alfred Crow returned to his lodging in George Yard Buildings and noticed what he thought was a homeless person sleeping on the first floor landing. As this was not an uncommon occurrence he continued on to bed.

John Reeves left his lodgings in the George Yard Buildings at 4:45 AM. By this time the light was improving inside the stairwell. Reeves also noticed the body on the first floor landing but he was also aware that it was lying in a pool of blood. Reeves went off to find a policeman. ..."

All the best
              Jukka
              "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Hi David, Garry,

The illustrator may not have seen the inside of George Yards building when offering his depiction. The drawing shows interior landings at both ends of the staircase which is not likely since the photo has the back of the steps exiting at the balcony. However, a single interior landing, with toilets for each floor is probable and would explain the article that David posted and the testimony of the tennants at the time. How the sequence starts from the ground floor is the conundrum at the moment; hence, the closeup of the right ground floor passage with what seems to be an opening into a foyer of some sorts.
                Best Wishes,
                Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                  However, the body couldn't be there. Too close to the door ...
                  Come to think of it, the door couldn't be there either, could it?

Comment

Right, Chris!

didn't have to think too much to admit it!

Amitiés,
                    David

Comment

What happened to those photographs of the landings in George Yard Buildings that were taken in the early 1970's?

all the best

Observer

Comment

If you stood at the entrance to George Yard Buildings you would be faced by a staircase to the right and a passageway to the back of the dwellings on the left. If you walked up the staircase you would find yourself on a half landing (at the back of the building) and then an equal number of steps would take you to the landing shown on John's magnificently found photo, where the front doors of all the flats on the upper floors are shown. A stairwell is a stairwell whether it's in George Yard Buildings, 26 Dorset Street or the Twin Towers.
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Stephen,

If the front entrance was such, wouldn't the 2nd set of steps at the half landing have to be on the left to emerge on the first balcony where they seem to appear? If the front entrance was offset to the left to accomodate this, it would place it in the firewall.
                          Best Wishes,
                          Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                            If the front entrance was such, wouldn't the 2nd set of steps at the half landing have to be on the left to emerge on the first balcony where they seem to appear?
                            Hi Hunter

Yes, that's what I was saying. Stairs to half landing on the right, stairs from half landing to balcony on the left. Your graphic in post #61 shows the exit of the ground floor passage to the left of the foot of the staircase.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                              Yes, that's what I was saying. Stairs to half landing on the right, stairs from half landing to balcony on the left. Your graphic in post #61 shows the exit of the ground floor passage to the left of the foot of the staircase.
                              I find it a bit difficult to visualise what you're suggesting. If there were a half-landing at the back of the building, wouldn't it be visible in the photo we're discussing? And your second flight sounds as though it goes from a half-landing at the back to the gallery at the back. I can't see how that works.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chris;121181] If there were a half-landing at the back of the building, wouldn't it be visible in the photo we're discussing? QUOTE]

Hi Chris

No, it would be internal. Consider how you would get from one balcony to the one above. You would have to go up the left hand staircase which would lead to a half landing at the front of the building and then turn back on yourself and go up the next flight and arrive on the next landing on the right.

Here's a rarely seen pic of the place courtesy of Stewart Evans

The jutting out bit is the stairwell.

Name:	georgeyard.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	658572

Comment

Working...
                                X