Was it really two blades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam writes:

"Aborted mid-cut, though, Fish? I have enough problems dealing with the Diemschutz "interruption" theory, without this as well! Seriously, the intent - if there was any in Tabram's case - was on raining blow after blow on the upper body with a knife, as far as I see it... and as far as the evidence suggests."

Well, Sam, the easy solution to your trouble would be to skip the Diemschutz interruption, and take on board the Tabram ditto. If you feel you can harbour only the one, that would be the wiser choice, I think!

As for what the evidence suggests, I am all for your suggestion that it points to a man that subjected Martha to a hailstorm of stabs. And they all rained down on the upper or mid part of her torso - but for one. That one apparently did NOT rain down; it is and remains a cut.

Place it in the midst of the stabs, and I would say "he probably slipped, the knife may have skidded". But once it becomes the ONLY knife-wound in the area where the Ripper focused his interest, and once we realize it was not a stab, then the evidence does not tell us that this particular wound belongs to the flurry of stabs that our pissed-off customer inflicted. Instead it becomes a wound where we cannot tell if it was made by the pen-knife or the sturdier, larger blade.
    And so we have to ask ourselves "what would be the main difference inbetween the pen-knife wounds and the sternum wound?"

My answer to that question is that the former seem totally unstructured and irrational. They seem to me to be the work of a rage, where the goal was not to pinpoint certain target areas, but instead to annihilate, and that is what a flurry of enraged, frenzied stabs always seem to end up as.

The breastplate wound, though: Different thing altogether! To penetrate the sternum takes a forceful blow, and under the sternum lies the heart. A stab there seems to be something quite different than the frenzied stabs. It looks like a very intentional, very focused effort to kill - something I think only the fewest would argue against.

In this context, when we need to ascribe the wound - the cut, as it were - on the lower abdomen to either school of thinking, we need to ask ourselves if there could be a rational thinking behind it. And lo and behold - we know that there was a man loose on the streets of East who was driven by an urge to open up the abdominal cavity and eviscerate!

Adding things up, we are either dealing with a frenzied stabber that succeeded to place ALL his stabs in the mid or upper torso of his victim - and that would reasonably in some respect owe to the position the stabber was in visavi Tabram as he stabbed away! - but suddenly decided to throw a stab in a radically different direction and somehow made a hash of it, resulting in some sort of a skid...

...or we are dealing with somebody who quite deliberately started to CUT instead of stabbing. And as evidence has it we KNOW that such a creature was about in them very streets in that very time, Sam! And we also know that stabbing through chestbones never seemed to belong to his agenda, which is why we can allow oursleves the speculation that if the man who cut Tabrams abdomen WAS Jack - then the chest-thrust quite probably reveals that he was forced to abort his true mission.

Such a scenario actually lets us participate, wound by wound, at the Tabram crimescene, and we may explain each of the wounds, pinpointing the two last ones very exactly.
    With Diemschutz, we have no such exact scenario. The killer may have left as Louis arrived, and he may have been long gone at that time, we can´t tell. Assuming an interruption in that case seems a lot more far-fetched to me than it does in Tabrams case. In that case, we also have what may be a killer carrying out his first strike, with all the implications that carries. There may not have to have been a factual interruption - maybe he was simply spooked. The fact that he would have been encountering a living woman where he expected a dead one, though, makes for a very compelling suggestion as to how the interruption came about, at least to my mind.

The best, Sam!
    Fisherman

Comment

Sam writes:

"Like having a fit and concussing herself before she could honour the "transaction", for example? I'd buy that."

I would not, I must say. Subjecting a fainting woman to nigh on 40 stabs because she had a fit and could not go through with the transaction of sex? To me, taking your money and leaving, trying to wake her up, kicking her butt and leaving, cursing her and leaving, and an infinite number of other suggestions would seem a lot more probable that bringing out a knife and hacking away at an unconscious woman on the landing of a tenement where people were sleeping twelwe feet away, subjecting youself to the risk of the gallows!
      That man would have been a man looking for sex. The more plausible thing to do would be to return to the streets and find another woman, if you ask me.

The best,
      Fisherman

Comment

Sam writes:

"Whoever it was, they were running omok. (That's not a typo, by the way - it's short for "one man, one knife" )

That´s not up to your usual standards of making jokes, Sam. Personally, I find it a bit tacky (and yes, that´s short for "two assailants carrying knives? Yes!"

The best,
        Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          Like having a fit and concussing herself before she could honour the "transaction", for example? I'd buy that.
          Hi Sam

Surely, it is more likely that knock on the head came about through the attack?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
            Surely, it is more likely that knock on the head came about through the attack?
            Not, perhaps, for a woman given to alcoholic fits, Jon.

"At times the deceased had stopped out all night. After those occasions she told him she had been taken in a fit and was removed to the police-station or somewhere else. He [witness] knew she suffered from fits, but they were brought on by drink." (The Times, 24th Aug 1888.)

I reckon there's a fair chance that she went into one such fit just before she died, possibly banging her own head in the process, and causing her customer to freak out on her.

(Through gritted teeth: "For f___ sake, keep still, woman! Shut up, will you? Shut up, or I'll shut YOU up! BE.... QUIET!!")
            Last edited by Sam Flynn; 08-31-2009, 01:44 PM. Reason: added a wee dramatisation, by way of reconstruction
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
              Place it in the midst of the stabs, and I would say "he probably slipped, the knife may have skidded". But once it becomes the ONLY knife-wound in the area where the Ripper focused his interest...
              ... and the only knife wound in an area where the splendidly irregular and angular pelvis might throw the blade off-track, as Don Souden has observed.
              ...or we are dealing with somebody who quite deliberately started to CUT instead of stabbing.
              If you're really intending to cut, Fish (and by "cut" I mean "rip" in this context, because there are some out there who want Tabram's killer to be the Ripper, dont'cha know) then there's no way that, in the brief period of time involved, you're going to hold back the knife to the extent that only a small incision results.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

"At times the deceased had stopped out all night. After those occasions she told him she had been taken in a fit and was removed to the police-station or somewhere else. He [witness] knew she suffered from fits, but they were brought on by drink." (The Times, 24th Aug 1888.)
                Hi Sam

Perhaps I`m been unfair to Martha, but I`ve always taken the above as a euphemism for Martha behaviour when she`s had a couple, and possibly an excuse to her man when she`s been arrested or stayed out with other men.

I believe, as in Sutcliffe`s M.O., she was hit, or the head was banged against something, in order to incapacitate her to keep her quiet. After all, it was all happening (like the Ripper ) on someone`s doorstep.

Comment

After all, it was all happening (like the Ripper ) on someone`s doorstep.
                  Tis pity, then, Jon, that - unlike the Ripper - not one significant lower abdominal cut was inflicted at all, and the throat was pricked like a sausage, instead of sliced through like a salami.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Sam writes:

"Tis pity, then, Jon, that - unlike the Ripper - not one significant lower abdominal cut was inflicted at all, and the throat was pricked like a sausage, instead of sliced through like a salami."

That, Sam, could perhaps be explained by a combination of our mans inexperience in combination with a lack of premeditation? As you know, I do not even attribute the neck wounds to Jack. And - speaking of explanations - I am not all that sure that the cut neck was a writing desk invention that he brought along to put into practice - I find it at least as compelling to believe that it came about as the result of a botched/half-botched job telling him that there were benefits to be gained from such a methodology.

...and cuts to the lower abdomen inflicted on women in the East end nights of the autumn 1888 are by definition ALL significant to my eyes; we can go on discussing the size of it for a longish time, but establishing the border we need to cross sizewise to dub it significant will be hard work, if you ask me!

The best,
                    Fisherman

Comment

not one significant lower abdominal cut was inflicted at all,
                      There was a wound to the lower abdominal, and possibly not deflected as we know the skirt was turned up.

Comment

There was a wound to the lower abdominal, and possibly not deflected as we know the skirt was turned up.
                        True enough - but a stab, deflected by the rim of the pelvis, could turn into an apparent cut, Jon.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                          Sam writes:

"Tis pity, then, Jon, that - unlike the Ripper - not one significant lower abdominal cut was inflicted at all, and the throat was pricked like a sausage, instead of sliced through like a salami."

That, Sam, could perhaps be explained by a combination of our mans inexperience in combination with a lack of premeditation?
                          When does lack of premeditation wear off, Fish? After the ninth stab? After the thirty-eighth?
                          ...and cuts to the lower abdomen
                          ...or, in this case, cut (singular).
                          inflicted on women in the East end nights of the autumn 1888 are by definition ALL significant to my eyes
                          I'd say that deep cuts to the throat, accompanied by extensive lower abdominal cuts, are more significant still.
                          we can go on discussing the size of it for a longish time, but establishing the border we need to cross sizewise to dub it significant will be hard work, if you ask me!
                          It's perhaps the number of cuts versus stabs that ought to help determine the boundary of significance - that, allied to the length and depth of the cut concerned, and the "big picture" of the wounds inflicted elsewhere on the body.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Hi all,

On your post in response to mine Sam, I think youre saying that she may have had a seizure and hit her head before being able to deliver on her end...thats the reason for the blood under the scalp. Interesting.

On my suggestion of 2 men though, I think it much more probable that the second man came looking for the first and came upon the result of his frenzy. If 2 men were on the landing, only one had a knife in his hand when the stabbing started. The second used his knife at the end.

Im wondering if the man who stabs with the pen knife even had a knife on him, Martha would not be the only Fall victim to carry a knife.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by perrymason View Post
                              I think youre saying that she may have had a seizure and hit her head before being able to deliver on her end...thats the reason for the blood under the scalp.
                              Indeed, Mike. It's a fair possibility, given what we know of Tabram's medical history.
                              On my suggestion of 2 men though, I think it much more probable that the second man came looking for the first and came upon the result of his frenzy.
                              ... and delivered a single coup de grâce? I find that very unlikely. In fact, no matter how hard I try, the idea of two men just doesn't hold water.
                              Last edited by Sam Flynn; 09-01-2009, 02:44 AM.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I think that idea has some potential legs Gareth, and it might result in "punitive damages" from a man who is used to aggression and violence. Thats my soldier type, probably hammered.

The second is a soldier who is just protecting his chum. She couldnt be saved at that point....she could only put both of them in jail for a long time if she lived. I can see that "coup de grace" fairly easily myself.

Cheers Sam

Comment

Working...
                                X