This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A unique book for auction.

Announcing the unique one-off hardback copy of the London Job 2010 book.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	LJBook 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	660783

Signed by all the participants of the London Job event held in April, this is the only hardback copy in existence, and will be auctioned next Friday 24th September 2010 at the Bell pub on Middlesex Street. All funds raised will go to the Frances Coles Memorial Appeal.

Featuring photographs and articles from Neil Bell, John Bennett, Trevor Bond, Robert Clack, Gail Dowle, Andrew Firth, Philip Hutchinson, Laura Prieto, Mark Ripper and Peter Whitby, this book is absolutely a one-off. All other copies of the book are softback. A signed certificate label of authenticity is affixed to the inside cover.

Name:	LJBook 2.jpg
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	660784

If you can make this event, and maybe put in a bid or two, then please do come along!

All the best
    Andrew

Comment

Jane Coram - 'Frances Coles'

Further to Andrew Firth's announcement of the unique, signed London Job 2010 book at the 'Ripperology Challenge' evening at the Bell, Middlesex Street, I am both pleased and excited to be able to announce a second, extra-special auction taking place over the coming UK 'Ripper' Conference weekend, again with all proceeds going to the Frances Coles Memorial Appeal 2011.

The item is a one-off, unique, signed, original oil painting by 'our very own' Jane Coram! The painting shows Frances Coles, as she may well have appeared in life. It has been carefully designed from existing contemporary illustrations of Frances, as well as her mortuary photograph, and using techniques that Jane has developed over many years to really bring people's images 'back to life'.

Jane's work is well known to many on both Casebook and JTRForums, and samples can be found on many threads. The lifelike nature of her paintings of many of the 'canonical' victims have often been commented on in the highest regard. It is important to remember here that, much as with Mary Kelly, there are no surviving images of Frances Coles in life of which we are currently aware - therefore, this painting may well represent the single, best representation of the final 'Whitechapel Murder's victim that we have.

THE PICTURE SHOWN IS OF LOW RESOLUTION AND IS TAKEN FROM JANE'S ROUGH DRAFT OF THE IMAGE, FROM WHICH THE PAINTING HAS BEEN EXECUTED, AND IS SHOWN FOR ILLUSTRATION ONLY.

The painting measures approximately 18" by 8", and is presented framed and under glass. Insured postage within mainland UK will be provided at no charge to the winning bidder, NOT supplied from Appeal funds.

THIS AUCTION (PAINTING) WILL BE TAKING PLACE AT THE KING'S STORES, WIDEGATE ST DURING THE EVENING OF SATURDAY, 25th SEPTEMBER (ie. after the Conference programme). THE AUCTION OF THE LONDON JOB 2010 BOOK WILL STILL TAKE PLACE AT THE BELL, MIDDLESEX ST, ON THE EVENING OF FRIDAY, 24th SEPTEMBER (the night before the Conference), AS STATED IN ANDREW'S POST ABOVE.

Owing to the uniqueness of the item and also Jane's reputation, it is likely that there will be interest from outside those attending the UK Conference. Therefore, an address has been set up specially to allow internet 'pre bids'. This address is bids@all-that-youve-done.com and will be open from 22:00 UK time today (20th September, 2010) until 22:00 UK time on Friday 24th September. Please send bids as text only, stating your name and a numerical value for your bid in pounds sterling (UK). Bids should ONLY be sent to this address - bids placed anywhere else (ie on this thread, or as Private Messages via the forums) will NOT be accepted. Assuming your bid meets these few (necessary) conditions, you will receive a reply confirming that your bid has been recorded - there will be no more correspondence such as where your bid is in the list, or anything similar.

Please remember, this address is for bids for the PAINTING ONLY - to bid on the London Job 2010 book, you will have to come along to the Bell on Friday evening!

Also, to allow people have as much of a chance as possible of bidding, and also to ensure that potential bidders on the day do not have to worry about bringing large amounts of cash and/or chequebooks with them on the day, there will be a SEVEN DAY PERIOD FOR PAYMENT starting at midnight on 25th September, 2010. Payment details will be given to the winning bidder once the auction has ended; obviously in the unlikely event of non-payment the right to re-auction the item will be reserved.

So, to clarify:

For any enquiries please do not hesitate to contact me at trevor-bond@all-that-youve-done.com
      For BIDS - on the PAINTING only - the address is bids@all-that-youve-done.com
      (and for entrepeneurial meerkats...)

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity (not for the last time) to thank Jane Coram for her exceptional generosity in providing this unique item for no payment whatsoever.

Thanks for reading,

Trevor Bond.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tnb; 09-20-2010, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Internet bids now open for LONDON JOB 2010 book

Following discussion, we have now decided to accept internet bids for the London Job 2010 book as well as Jane Coram's painting.

The address for bids for the LONDON JOB 2010 BOOK, therefore, is:

liza@lhopkinson.freeserve.co.uk

and will be open from now until 15.00 (UK time) on Thursday 23rd September.

Rules for bids are the same as given above - numerical value in pounds sterling, name, and ONLY to the email address. This set of bids is being adminstered by a different person, but if you have any queries please still contact me at trevor-bond@all-that-youve-done.com I will ask the person concerned to acknowledge bids in a similar way to which I will be doing so for the painting, however I cannot promise this will be exactly the same. Please do not harrass them to tell you where your bid stands however, as they will be under strict instructions not to do so!

The address for bids for the PAINTING remains as bids@all-that-youve-done.com, and will still close at 22:00 (UK time) on Friday 24th September, as above.

Comment

Hello Trevor, Andrew,

These look superb. Bets of luck with their respective auctions!

best wishes

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
          Accountability? ....

Comment

Bell update (numbers)

Jon Rees
            Jenni Shelden
            Neal Shelden
            Peter Whitby
            Suzi Hanney
            Mark Ripper
            Caroline Morris
            Liza Hopkinson
            Jo Hannigan
            Carol Willets
            Mike Covell
            Suzi Hanney
            Robert Anderson

? Anna Robbins
            ? Mickey Mayhew
            ? Claire Weinhold-Pullon +1
            ? Rob Clack

Still awaiting replies from Neil Bell, John Bennett and Laura Prieto - name and shame!

Comment

Hi Trevor,

just wanted to say how well the appeal event went on Friday. It was good to see so many people 'there for Frances'. I hope we are getting the funds in.

I have always thought John Bennett was a star

Jenni
              “be just and fear not”

Comment

The funds flew in nicely all weekend, Jenni - and I am going to be doing some 'banking' tonight, so I shall be able to give a definitive total for the weekend - which is going to be exceptional. As I may have said once or twice before, watch this space.

As I said on Fri itself it was brilliant to see so many there, and also such a nice mix of people, especially as no-one knew whether it was going to be a disorganised mess of half a dozen people or not. Everyone seemed to get on well in their teams and if most people got more points on the music round than the Ripper rounds, and two people didn't recognise their own top suspects in the picture round...oh well!

Nah, John got lucky!!! Although if we do a quiz next year he is going to have to be on a team on his own...

Going to drink my 'prize' tonight - many thanks to the Swallow Gardens Massif for their retrospective bribe.

Comment

Where's Diddles?

It was a great night, and I still haven't got over how much the one-off London Job book went for! I'm looking forward to your financial update Trevor!

In the meantime, for anyone who wants to try one of the picture rounds, here are the eight images from the "Where's Diddles?" round. All you have to do is identify where Diddles is!

No prizes sadly, this is just for jolly.

Name:	1 copy.jpg
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	660844

Name:	2 copy.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	660845

Name:	3 copy.jpg
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	660846

Name:	4 copy.jpg
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	660847

Name:	5 copy.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	660848

Name:	7 copy.jpg
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	660849

Name:	8 copy.jpg
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	660850

Name:	9 copy.jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	660851

All the best
                  Andrew

Comment

Pretty conclusive evidence there, I think...

Well done for your hard work, Trevor, and congrats on your maiden talk! Looking forward to the next stages in the memorial process; really good stuff
                    best,

claire

Comment

Originally posted by claire View Post
                      Pretty conclusive evidence there, I think...

Well done for your hard work, Trevor, and congrats on your maiden talk! Looking forward to the next stages in the memorial process; really good stuff
                      Thanks Claire. Great to meet you too as well as many others too numerous to mention (although a special Casebook mention to Norma, and the Sheldens too). It was very messy and un-intellectual in the evening, it may be best to have left the memory of some of the speakers as sensible and intelligent researchers rather than slumped in the White Hart failing to play '21'.

See you all next year!

Comment

I"d like to second Claire"s congrats, Trevor.
                        I very much enjoyed your talk and I think the way you chose to present Frances Coles and why you want a memorial for her is really thought provoking.
                        You showed us that traces of her story do exist in the census records and we now have information about her family, about what jobs they obtained and about what jobs Frances had and chose not to have .We dont know why she left them but we know the path she took instead .By getting this collaborative effort going that will properly commemorate her death we begin to bring Frances into our lives and hopefully achieve a better understanding of her .She would have known the streets we walked through last Saturday,and although they have changed , they still exist physically---so we share an experience with her.
                        Thanks for this,
                        Norma
                        Ps.... in a few days I will pm you re the matter we discussed---N

Comment

Kind words Norma - thank you.

UPDATE (and it's a good 'un!!!)

£408 raised in total over the Conference weekend (including the Quiz, and the various auctions - for which massive thanks to Liza Hopkinson). Many thanks to ALL who attended either day, donated anything or even just expressed their support for the Appeal and it's goals. It was great to pr...esent on Frances too and give some people a bit more of an idea why we are doing this.

So...the grand total now stands at...

£766.83

Wow!!!

Hats off to one and all.

Trevor.

Comment

Hi,

I've only just found this thread. Well done to everyone for all their hard work and for raising so much for the appeal!!!

I did post the finished oil painting over on my artwork thread, but I'll put it here as people might like to see what the finished item looked like. It's fractionally different from the study I did, simply because I wasn't quite happy with that one. Here it is anyway. I'm really happy to have been able to help out.

I'm not sure who bought it, but if you're reading this, please remember to put her in a slightly shady place, or at least not in direct sunlight to keep the colours bright.

Much love

Janie

xxxx
                            Attached Files
                            I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Hello Jane,

I have sent you an email as well, but the reply to the above from my humble self is..

THANK YOU for your wonderful donation, your time and your response to our request a few months ago. The reaction to the painting was totally positive, and it really was a lovely, generous gesture from a remarkably talented and gifted lady.

kindest regards

Phil
                              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                              Accountability? ....

Comment

Frances looks quite vulnerable in your painting Jane -- she knows her lifestyle is precarious .....
                                A very lovely and generous donation,
                                Norma

Comment

Working...
                                X