X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow

good stuff Philip
    babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
      I told Philip it was a shame he didn't go there a few weeks earlier as it would have looked good in the book. Rob
      Well, well, boys, maybe you'll continue to find so much new material that a 3rd Edition will be in order somewhere down the road!

Cheers, Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
        Wish I could visit these places in person, but, alas, I have to do my exploring vicariously through you guys!
        Hi Archaic

I hope you'll be able to visit our beautiful city one day.

Have you read '84 Charing Cross Road'?
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Well, well, boys, maybe you'll continue to find so much new material that a 3rd Edition will be in order somewhere down the road!

Cheers, Archaic
          I'm sure there are a lot of stuff still out there waiting to be found.

Rob

Comment

London

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
            Hi Archaic
            I hope you'll be able to visit our beautiful city one day.
            Have you read '84 Charing Cross Road'?
            Hi, Stephen. I was in London & Henley-On-Thames about 10 yrs ago, it was wonderful.
            I spent a lot of time in the British Museum and the Victoria & Albert Museum, and I did some antique shopping out on Edgeware Rd & in Camden Town, but toured no Ripper sites, I'm afraid.

I was with my older sister and all she wanted to do was shop for clothes & stupid souvenirs and drink endless cups of coffee, which I thought was a total waste of time, so I refused & went off my own to places like the Egyptian Gallery at the British Museum and had a grand time!

I hope to get back to England fairly soon.

The book you mentioned, "84 Charing Cross" I believe is about antique book sellers, but I don't know much more than that... Do you think I should read it?

Thanks, Archaic

Comment

Philip,

I mooched back in May. Problem was there was another guy mooching at the same time.

I looked at him, he looked at I. It was a scene out of a spaghetti western.

He then gave me a knowing look. I didnt know what he knew but I knew enough to know I didnt want to know.

So I went down Abel Buildings and danced amongst the excrement.

Oh my life is thrilling.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I'm planning to have a look in a couple of weeks and plan on bringing some back up with me. Only she doesn't know it yet

Comment

Wise move Rob.

I told you I thought the Fishmonger had gone.

Monty
                  Monty

Comment

You did indeed.

Rob

Comment

Well, theres your selling point mate.

It dont reek of eels anymore.

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

The book you mentioned, "84 Charing Cross" I believe is about antique book sellers, but I don't know much more than that... Do you think I should read it?
                        Most definitely, Archaic. It's an astonishing little book which is completely factual and historical yet strangely magical. I know 'books' and this is a really special one. There's also a very good movie of it with Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft but you need to read the book first.

I kid you not.
                        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

I believe you, Stephen; I'll read it!

I love reading & I'm always looking for good books to add to my reading list.

Thanks, Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                            Heh - neither of you need to worry. It's not coming down. It can't - there's a train line on top of it from Fenchurch Street station! I managed to get in there through some exploring, detective work and permission.

Stan, Barney's Seafood moved out of there some time ago - a year, at least. It's been unoccupied since then.

PHILIP
                            I knew about the railway, of course. But, well, you know, sometimes old archways get replaced. Anyway, that spot near the end of the concrete platform is about exactly where I visualized Frances was found.

This is pretty cool, Phil.
                            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Many thanks for posting the Swallow Gardens picture Philip! Apart from the ones that Colin Roberts took this is the only other I've seen of what is clearly a very dark and sinister archway.

I took some friends around the east end in May (on a Wednesday), and as can be seen here, there was no van parked outside, which you would have expected to see on a working day, had there still been a business trading there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	swallow gardens 0509.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	657488

It's got me thinking now, about whether or not the current owners/tenants of the Pinchin Street archway could be persuaded to grant access for a minute or two...?

I'm off down to London next Friday for the very purpose of taking some new arty shots of all the streets and buildings, so you never know!

All the best
                              Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew.

There's a business in the Pinchin Street arch these days. Its entrance is through the big, high metal gates on Backchurch Lane but I've never seen them open. It appears to be an office of some kind now.

PHILIP
                                Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Working...
                                X