X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Pierre;375742][QUOTE=John G;375692][QUOTE=Pierre;375685]
    Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

Pierre,

It should be really easy to understand, John. You are not an historian, David is not an historian, Steve is not an historian and yet you try to be historians and to tell me, an historian, how to be one.

You are very interested in sounding legitimate, using the word "authoritative" and "modern". I am speaking as a sociologist now. But - and now I am the historian - you should be more concerned with the sources from 1888, their relations to each other, their provenience, their tendencies and their interpretations. You will not find the answer to the question of the TOD of the victim in Millerīs Court in a book from 2016. Actually, you will not find it in any book from 1888 or thereabout either.

So now you claim to have studied the field of history and the producers of that field, i.e. the historians, since you think that you are able to give a generalization about the "approach of an historian" and compare me to it. And you do not even know what you mean by "approach of an historian", since you are not an historian, and the field of history is something you have never studied.

Regards, Pierre
    Dear Forum

The above quoted post, #313, does not debate any of the issues to do with this thread, rather it just appears to translate as:

you are not qualified to debate with me. your views are valueless.

I suggest we all follow its contents and do not respond to Any comments from its poster.

respectfully

Steve

Comment

• [QUOTE=Elamarna;375749][QUOTE=Pierre;375742][QUOTE=John G;375692]
      Originally posted by Pierre View Post

Dear Forum

The above quoted post, #313, does not debate any of the issues to do with this thread, rather it just appears to translate as:

I suggest we all follow its contents and do not respond to Any comments from its poster.

respectfully

Steve
      I am inclined to agree.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I'm hoping Pierre reflects on his comments and does the right thing in apologising.
        wigngown 🇬🇧

Comment

• [QUOTE=Elamarna;375749][QUOTE=Pierre;375742][QUOTE=John G;375692]

Dear Forum

respectfully

Steve
          Steve,
          It's a fine suggestion. So, of course, its not gonna happen. Too many seem to enjoy them. For myself, it looks like watching people line up to slam their heads into a brick wall. Mildly amusing and keeps things kinda lively... Kinda.
          I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

• Pierre
            this is twice now ive attemptd to answer your question-was it prater who discovered mary and yelled oh murder?

Comment

• If you stop feeding him,he might go away.

In over six months,46 threads started and 1500 posts,he has contributed next to nothing.

You lot are simply giving him gratification.

Pierrebook!

[QUOTE=Elamarna;375749][QUOTE=Pierre;375742][QUOTE=John G;375692]

Dear Forum

respectfully

Steve
              My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Dear DJA and Shaggyrand

you are both of course absolutely correct.

Some of us, have allowed ourselves to be pulled into often pointless and abstract debates.

we really must show restraint now.

Steve

Comment

Pierre,

It should be really easy to understand, John. You are not an historian, David is not an historian, Steve is not an historian and yet you try to be historians and to tell me, an historian, how to be one.

You are very interested in sounding legitimate, using the word "authoritative" and "modern". I am speaking as a sociologist now. But - and now I am the historian - you should be more concerned with the sources from 1888, their relations to each other, their provenience, their tendencies and their interpretations. You will not find the answer to the question of the TOD of the victim in Millerīs Court in a book from 2016. Actually, you will not find it in any book from 1888 or thereabout either.

So now you claim to have studied the field of history and the producers of that field, i.e. the historians, since you think that you are able to give a generalization about the "approach of an historian" and compare me to it. And you do not even know what you mean by "approach of an historian", since you are not an historian, and the field of history is something you have never studied.

Regards, Pierre
                  Hi Pierre
                  Im not sure I would call my self a "historian", but I do have BA in history.
                  Is that good enough for you?

BTW when did "historians" ever start enterpretating the sources metaphorically? LOL!
                  Last edited by Abby Normal; 04-04-2016, 08:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                    Pierre
                    this is twice now ive attemptd to answer your question-was it prater who discovered mary and yelled oh murder?
                    Hi Abby Normal,

Sorry I didn't see your post! So was it Prater? Well, how should I know?

Kind regards, Pierre

Comment

• [QUOTE=Abby Normal;375770][QUOTE=Pierre;375742][QUOTE=John G;375692]

Hi Pierre
                      Im not sure I would call my self a "historian", but I do have BA in history.
                      Is that good enough for you?

You are a historian.

BTW when did "historians" ever start enterpretating the sources metaphorically? LOL!
                      Since they found metaphores in the sources.

Comment

• Yay!!! Pierre considers me a historian. Yay!!!

hold on... not sure if that's something I should be happy about.... ; )

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                          Hi Abby Normal,

Sorry I didn't see your post! So was it Prater? Well, how should I know?

Kind regards, Pierre
                          don't play coy with me, young man.

you tried that before with the whole Judges/Juwes thing.

You know perfectly well you have someone in mind!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            don't play coy with me, young man.

you tried that before with the whole Judges/Juwes thing.

You know perfectly well you have someone in mind!!
                            Do you, as an historian, consider it possible to try and find out who the witness was? What sources could be of any relevance, do you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                              Do you, as an historian, consider it possible to try and find out who the witness was? What sources could be of any relevance, do you think?
                              Try considering the witness was Kelly
                              You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Pierre,

Regards, Pierre
                                Hello Pierre,

Frankly I am shocked and bewildered by this response. When I asked you before about your qualifications before you mentioned an MA in sociology, nothing about a history degree. And where appropriate I cite relevant source material, such as academic text books or peer reviewed journal articles, written by suitably qualified people. I can therefore only conclude that you are no longer interested in authoritative source material and, on that basis, unless you are able to refer me to your own peer reviewed publications, in order to demonstrate your credentials, I cannot see that any further discussions will be productive.

I will also assert that it is my opinion, as a graduate myself, that no responsible academic would reject modern source material. That is simply absurd and, on that basis, I have no other alternative but to draw obvious inferences.
                                Last edited by John G; 04-04-2016, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X