Collier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collier

It may have been mentioned here before...

There is a good row going on another thread about Mary Kelly's child. I presumed that her backstory could answer that question. According to this site, she was living in Carmonthenshire and married a collier who died in an explosion. I googled "carmarthenshire coal mines 1888". The first response should be Welsh Mining Disasters. It lists several mine explosions with the deceased names. I chose dates between 1880 until 1886 (to be fair). There are a lot of possible candidates - age, collier, Davies. Select the Risca New Mine accident (15 July 1880) and tell me what you think of one of the professions.
    there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Robert there is a thread on here from 2004 that I'm sure you would be interested in. I found it interesting myself. It's titled 'the DAVIES colliery disaster'.

Comment

Good thread. I also thought it interesting that colliers sould have good night sight; one of the names for a coal mini g profession is RIPPER. There may have ben a welsh-jewish geographical relation, or crossing welsh with hebrew. And , tying into thd other threads stating that the SPCC was there that day, i thought that there might have been a connection to John Earnest Greaves of caernovenshire waynfawr (since that is wherr the Risca explodion was reported) and he was involved in ghe NSPCC.

Comment

Risca

The only problem with this is that Risca is around 54 miles from Carnarvonshire and is now in Caerphilly, Previously Gwent/Monmouthshire as it was part of newport

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post

There is a good row going on another thread about Mary Kelly's child.
          The 'row' in the other thread wasn't about Mary Kelly's child. It was about whether another woman's child was living with Mary Kelly on the day she was murdered.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
            The 'row' in the other thread wasn't about Mary Kelly's child. It was about whether another woman's child was living with Mary Kelly on the day she was murdered.
            I agree DAVID. It has been a slow week on the forum without much to comment on... Its even has you commenting on comments. Dont worry mate - im sure the bloodshed will pick up again soon enough.

The point of this thread was that blablablah RIPPER was the name of a job in the coal mining business (like COLLIER). I thought the RISCA thread mentioned by ROSELLA offered some interesting choices of who MJK may have married.

Wrong or not, theres a lot in those early press reports to question the canonical story. The most obvious being, Mary Kelly havinga child and living on the second floor. The other two that interested me: 1) Jack McCarthy is reported to have BEEN READY to break in the door with his axe -and- he BUSTED in the door BUT its not reported that he used the axe, and 2) it is his son ("Young McCarthy") who send Tom Bowyer to collect the rent, the boy initially reported to have said "Mother, there has been another murder"). The 2nd one interests me bc of the reports that a young man appeared at the police station. Ive always accepted that they were talking about Tom Bowyer but, like Casebook has pointed out, his PI picture looks like anything but a young man.
            Last edited by Robert St Devil; 10-21-2015, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I agree DAVID. It has been a slow week on the forum without much to comment on... Its even has you commenting on comments.
              I wasn't 'commenting on comments'; I was correcting an erroneous statement to avoid any misunderstanding about the topic of discussion that occurred within the other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                I wasn't 'commenting on comments'; I was correcting an erroneous statement to avoid any misunderstanding about the topic of discussion that occurred within the other thread.
                Oh man, did you fart bc it is starting to smell in here. Theres a ton of smart people here so i wouldnt preoccupy yourself for too long worrying if they misunderstood a simple sentence or not. Ill give them the benefit of the doubt that they got it. ANYWAYS didnt realize you were the resident FORUM POLICE. If so, let me be the first to congratulate you on your appointment, "old c---"

Comment

Theres a ton of smart people here so i wouldnt preoccupy yourself for too long worrying if they misunderstood a simple sentence or not.
                  I wasn't suggesting that anyone misunderstood a simple sentence. I was saying that the sentence itself was wrong. So anyone who understood the sentence - which I imagine is everyone who read it - would have misunderstood the nature of the debate in the other thread.

Comment

Behave, Dave. You're acting like a PhoneCallMama. Of the "everyone" who read it, i dont think "anyone" gave a spit. Well, except for you haha. Or would you prefer i took a poll?

Its too bad - i thought the child discussion was interesting until you decided to buzzkill it here.

Comment

Its too bad - i thought the child discussion was interesting until you decided to buzzkill it here.
                      I think you will find the discussion in this thread had all but died at the time I posted yesterday. There having been a single post in 8 days. In fact, my posting seems to have re-invigorated this thread, even though no response from you was actually necessary.

Comment

6 whole days!! i thought that was the way this forum went, with some threads going unanswered for months. Damn! I guess im just that unpopular, you prima donna haha. I think i saw a member make the same child allegation in a post from 2004. If you're quick about it, maybe you can track him down and give him a piece of your mind.

Comment

6 whole days!!
                          No, I said 8 days.

You were the one who referred to a 'buzzkill' in this thread. The fact is that there was no buzz to be killed.

Comment

I think i saw a member make the same child allegation in a post from 2004. If you're quick about it, maybe you can track him down and give him a piece of your mind.
                            Once again, you have missed the point of my post.

I don't care if you or anyone else wants to discuss whether Mary Kelly had a child or not. Go ahead and knock yourself out.

The reason I posted in this thread was because you misrepresented the nature of the debate, in which I was involved, about the child, in the broken arrow thread.

Comment

So are you planning on suing me for slander? Broken arrow? Do you mean broken window? Dont be getting the names of threads wrong on my thread. I dont want to have to go "DAVID ORSAM" on you. Boy, did this thread ever turn to a pile of rubbish
                              Last edited by Robert St Devil; 10-21-2015, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X