Brothel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brothel?

Just a thought - could one explanation for the many conflicting accounts of what "MJK" was wearing on the night of her death, and the confusing witness statements stating she was alive after the medical TOD be because Mary was running a low class brothel from Miller's Court?

If Mary habitually allowed other women to use her room as a base for solicitation, it would explain why so many people were confused about who Mary actually *was*, hence the varied statements about her clothes, and having 'seen her' after the medical TOD.

It might also explain why McCarthy was so forgiving about her rent arrears - perhaps she was giving him a cut of what she made? In a cold, wet autumn I could see why people might pay a small premium to be able to go back to a room with a bed and fire to do the deed, rather than risk robbery or worse in a dark freezing alley.

As I say, just a thought, and no real research has gone into this - I'd be interested in hearing other people's thoughts.

Possible? Yes, but doesn't seem very likely. And I think that would be very hard to hide from the police who made no mention of it.

c.d.

Comment

Its an interesting idea that is for sure. And of course it is possible. However on balance I suspect it was just MJK who was using the room that night at least.
      Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by MsWeatherwax View Post
        Just a thought - could one explanation for the many conflicting accounts of what "MJK" was wearing on the night of her death, and the confusing witness statements stating she was alive after the medical TOD be because Mary was running a low class brothel from Miller's Court?

If Mary habitually allowed other women to use her room as a base for solicitation, it would explain why so many people were confused about who Mary actually *was*, hence the varied statements about her clothes, and having 'seen her' after the medical TOD.

It might also explain why McCarthy was so forgiving about her rent arrears - perhaps she was giving him a cut of what she made? In a cold, wet autumn I could see why people might pay a small premium to be able to go back to a room with a bed and fire to do the deed, rather than risk robbery or worse in a dark freezing alley.

As I say, just a thought, and no real research has gone into this - I'd be interested in hearing other people's thoughts.
        Your posit brings up the issue of Maria Harvey. Presumably it was her moving in there that set Barnett off...which might support your idea...however Maria moves out and we see that she is a laundress, not a prostitute. Mary hadnt been working the weeks leading up to her death, she apparently took the street women killings seriously, thats where the arrears came from, it would be hard-hearted of McCarthy to evict a street woman during that Fall. So it seems that the supporting evidence suggests that Marys room was a refuge, not a venue.
        Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

Your posit brings up the issue of Maria Harvey. Presumably it was her moving in there that set Barnett off...which might support your idea...however Maria moves out and we see that she is a laundress, not a prostitute. Mary hadnt been working the weeks leading up to her death, she apparently took the street women killings seriously, thats where the arrears came from, it would be hard-hearted of McCarthy to evict a street woman during that Fall. So it seems that the supporting evidence suggests that Marys room was a refuge, not a venue.

Yeah, I agree. She wasn't running a brothel. If she was letting several women "work" there, she wouldn't have been behind in her rent.
          Just happy to be alive.

Comment

Working...
          X