Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GUT View Post
    G'Day Jon

Thanks for that, I've never seen the official inquest, I thought it was missing, can you point me to where I'd find it.
    Both the Eddowes Inquest & Kelly Inquest were available for purchase. Eddowes from the Corporation of London Records Office, and that of Kelly from the Greater London Records Office.
    If they have since been moved someone might be kind enough to correct this.

Failing that, Stewart Evans was kind enough to print them in full in his, The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      Yet again Jon why we need to peruse as many sources as possible to get the most complete picture possible.
      That has been precisely my point in several debates.

Too many people hang their hat, and worse, their theories, on what is recorded in the Official record. Yet this official account is also limited in what was recorded for posterity.
      Collation is the way to go, but sadly it can only be done thoroughly with the cases of Eddowes and Kelly.

Even in collating the Kelly Inquest I arrived at a final total of 68 pages, and that was a single day inquest.
      Last edited by Wickerman; 02-08-2014, 08:23 PM.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

G'Day again Jon

Even in collating the Kelly Inquest I arrived at a final total of 68 pages, and that was a single day inquest.
        That is actually still a long way short of what would have gone on, for a one day hearing I'd be suspicious of anything less than a couple of hundred pages, today.

Even a couple of hour record of interview should run to 50 or so, if it has been all q and a qithout any breaks.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Just had a look at a trial transcript of a four day hearing and it ran to 1,219 pages.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

But bare in mind the single day Kelly Inquest began at 11:00 am and was finished well before Hutchinson walked into Commercial St. station about 6:00 pm.
            So, likely lasted maybe 6 hours? (11:00am-5:00pm?), not a full day. And part of that time was used up by the jury going to view the body at the Shoreditch mortuary, then walking to Millers Court to view the scene of the crime, then back to Shoreditch Town Hall.
            So actually questioning only began around 12:00 noon, so may have lasted only about 5 hours total?
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

G'Day Jon

The hearings I refer to start at 10:00 am and run till 4:15 with an hour 15 minutes at lunch and about 15 mins at morning tea, so pretty similar in length.
              G U T

Comment

When we compare Macdonalds single-day Inquest with all those of Coroner Baxter, over several days (Nichols 4 days, Chapman 5 days, Stride 5 days) we see how extraordinary short the Kelly Inquest was. Not that the length of Baxter's Inquests were the norm, they were not. It is though apparent that the Inquests conducted by Baxter were more thorough, and that of Macdonald was insufficient.
                And, also the fact that one significant conclusion (time of death) required to be established by the termination of the Kelly Inquest was not met.
                Last edited by Wickerman; 02-08-2014, 09:47 PM.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                  When we compare Macdonalds single-day Inquest with all those of Coroner Baxter, over several days (Nichols 4 days, Chapman 5 days, Stride 5 days) we see how extraordinary short the Kelly Inquest was. Not that the length of Baxter's Inquests were the norm, they were not. It is though apparent that the Inquests conducted by Baxter were more thorough, and that of Macdonald was insufficient.
                  And, also the fact that one significant conclusion (time of death) required to be established by the termination of the Kelly Inquest was not met.
                  Totally agree McDonald should never have been allowed to close the inquest after 1 day.

Especially with all the unanswered questions.
                  G U T

Comment

Working...
                  X