Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Kellys boy

Hello All ,
    Does anyone know anything more about this story in the ( Pall mall gazette 10th Nov)

Kelly had a little boy, aged about six or seven years, living with her, and lately she had been in narrow straits, so much so that she is reported to have stated to a companion that she would make away with herself, as she could not bear to see her boy starving.
    The man then accompanied the woman home to her lodgings and the little boy was removed from the room and taken to a neighbour's house.
    Is this the same little boy Maria Harvey makes mention of ..

and I left with her two men's dirty shirts, a little boy's shirt, a black overcoat,
    Also could it have been Maria Harvey's child ? was he also staying occasionally with Kelly ?

cheers

moonbegger

How far removed is the news report from the horse's mouth? It might have even been Harvey who originally said it, MJK who told someone the story, and by the time it got to the papers, it originated with the murder victim.

Comment

Hi All,

Freeman's Journal, 12th November 1888—

"Further inquiries show that the boy who stayed with Kelly was not her child, but that of the woman who had stayed with her on several occasions."

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        Hi All,

Freeman's Journal, 12th November 1888—

"Further inquiries show that the boy who stayed with Kelly was not her child, but that of the woman who had stayed with her on several occasions."

Regards,

Simon
        Guess that's pretty much it then! I'd wondered about this story myself, though, so it's good to get the definitive answer. Thanks, Simon.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

If Maria Harvey at one point had a day job, while MJK was working the "night shift," she may have cared for the boy during the day, probably for money, although I'm guessing not much, and you get the kind of childcare you pay for. But anyway, I'll bet he's the origin of the hard-to-pin-down story that MJK had a child. A lot of people probably assumed he was hers.

Comment

Ah .. Thanks Simon , so it was likely to be Harvey's little boy . just as well he didn't come face to face with the Ripper that night , Imagine the nightmares ,, or maybe he did !

moonbegger

Comment

Working...
            X