Inquiries into Joseph Fleming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inquiries into Joseph Fleming

Chris Scott, in his Ripper in Ramsgate, devoted a chapter to his research into Joseph Fleming in which he states that Fleming used the nom de plume James Evans from 1890 onward. There is the possibility Fleming already used it when he was periodically admitted in June and July of '88, but that can not be definitively demonstrated. What has been demonstrated beyond a reasonable doubt, is that Fleming used the alias from the time of admissions into both Stone and Claybury up to the day he died, as his 1920 death certificate clearly mentioned both names.
    Scott writes: 'The question remains, of course, as to why Joseph Fleming was admitted to a mental hospital under an assumed name, a name which he retained for nearly 30 years until he died.'
    I was wondering if it was commonplace for the police in those days to follow-up on ex-boyfriends in the wake of any major murder investigation, because I cannot, for the life of me, find any reference to such a query anywhere in the files. We have three seperate statements on Fleming in relation to the deceased: from Barnett, from Mrs. Carthy of Breezer's Hill, and (most likely) from Julia Venturney, who mentioned the "other Joe" ill-using Kelly on occasion, but there doesn't seem to exist any report of a subsequent investigation into Fleming beyond the superficial queries at the Kelly inquest itself.

Now I don't believe for one second that Fleming can in any way be tied into the murder, as some have casually proposed throughout the years, but I am interested in the question if the police would have at least interviewed Fleming as a matter of routine. I'm even more interested in the assumed name. Does anyone have any insights in either of these questions?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Jurriaan Maessen; 05-24-2021, 11:36 AM.

I don't think the police could trace him at the time of the murders. By the time of his confinement, the connection of James Evans/Joe Fleming to Kelly's former boyfriend had become nebulous.

Comment

Working...
    X