Split femur alternative hypothesis plus no need for cleaver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split femur alternative hypothesis plus no need for cleaver

With respect to the split femur hypothesis of Mary Kelly I would like to make a proposition that the "split femur" is actually entrails on top of an exposed femur.

B5 and C5 in that photograph.

Red = Entrails
    Blue = Exposed femur bone
    Green + Yellow = Ligaments and Nerves

---
    With respect to the split femur hypothesis I would like to add the proposition that a cleaver is not needed to split a bone.

If you drive the cutting edge of a knife down to chop into a bone you can then use anything hard to hit the top edge of the knife and it will split the bone within a few hits. This is how to make sticks for a fire outdoors with a hunting knife but any knife worth its salt will do.

Best regards,

Batman the Dectective
    Last edited by Batman; 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling
    Bona fide canonical and then some.

Hi Batman,

A pretty dramatic introduction, but welcome to Casebook!
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hi Bridewell,

Thank you for the welcome.

Comment

Hi Batman and welcome

You could well be right...certainly the post mortem report in Doctor Bond's own hand (see the JtR Sourcebook P383) is incredibly detailed in listing the injuries, and yet does NOT mention a split femur...which I find somewhat unlikely if such an injury was present.

All the best

Dave

Comment

Hello,

I have looked at that photograph on and off for many years trying to understand what I am seeing. I have a background in visual media but also a background in biology and maths. I spent a long time trying to figure out if there was justification for the split femur hypothesis and how to reconcile the photograph with the autopsy report.

I have decided that the above explanation is probably the most reasonable one I have had in mind for awhile. Plus I wanted to add the additional hypothesis that bones can be split with a good knife if you hit the top of the knife with a solid. So in both cases I feel that the split femur hypothesis is significantly weaker than my explanation which agrees with the autopsy report... and also with the photograph.

I hope it also sheds more light on what we are seeing in the photograph. I must admit this is one of the hardest images I have ever had to understand. Nobody said this case was going to be easy.

Comment

Working...
          X