Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Tom,
    Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
    Were any of the other Kelly photos directly referenced at the inquest?
    Dr Bagster Phillips produced an external photograph of Miller's Court which he had arranged to be taken, and presented it at the inquest. Whether it was this one is open to question.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Celesta View Post
      Somewhere recently, I saw a diagram from a slightly different angle, more toward the corner, and it struck me that it would not have been too difficult for her to reach in the window.
      Hi, Celesta.

I hope you can find it, because I side with the early posters on this thread, Monty and JB, who felt that the stretch suggested in these pics would take a long and possibly bloodied arm.

Comment

Sam,

Thanks for that. Since we know that Dr. Phillips was in possession of all the Kelly photos, I'm sure you'd agree its a relatively safe bet this was the photo he produced.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          Since we know that Dr. Phillips was in possession of all the Kelly photos, I'm sure you'd agree its a relatively safe bet this was the photo he produced.
          I would tend to agree, Tom, were it not for a nagging feeling I've got that the light just doesn't seem right for that time of year and those weather conditions. Perhaps Rob Clack or another of our splendid resident snappers can help soothe my savage breast?
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

The photo was taken inside a court. As the reporter mentioned in the excerpt I posted, the court was darker because it's walled in. You also have to take into account the cloud coverage as it would have been when the photo was taken. And then there's the fact that we're looking at a 120 photograph taken on 120 year old equipment. No two versions of that photo appear the same, you know.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Evidence?

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
              Prater lived at the front of the house over 'the shed', not above Kelly.
              What is the evidence for this statement? And Gareth believes it is compelling.
              Last edited by Stewart P Evans; 04-30-2008, 12:21 AM.
              SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Location of Prater's Room

From the popular sources -

A-Z (Begg, Fido and Skinner), page 361, "Lived in the room immediately above Mary Jane Kelly, whom she had known well for some five months."

The Complete History of Jack the Ripper (Sugden), page 328, "One of them was Elizabeth Prater, who lodged in Room 20 in 26 Dorset Street, above Mary's room."
                SPE

Comment

I don't understand why Bowyer wasn't given Phillips' photo to look at. It's almost as though Phillips just came along with the photo and produced it all of a sudden.

Would this photo have been Phillips' personal property? He says that he had it taken - not the police.

Comment

The inquests ran off the diagrams. Bringing in crime scene photos would not have been normal. Dr. Phillips owned a set of the Kelly photos. As for him having had them taken, he probably just means that he was the one who spearheaded getting the photographer there in the first place. I would imagine Phillips would know the morgue photographers better than the police would. But I don't think we're talking about two different sets of photos here, do you?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Probably not, Tom. But when do you think this was taken - before or after entry?

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Probably not, Tom. But when do you think this was taken - before or after entry?

Robert

It would have been before entry I believe, because after entry, people were constantly walking in and out, and we know the photographer left BEFORE Dr. Phillips left. It stands to reason the photog took pics outside while waiting for the door to be open.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                          What is the evidence for this statement? And Gareth believes it is compelling.
                          Hi Stewart,

A report in the Daily Telegraph of 10th November, which gives a very detailed description of the general layout of Miller's Court, and states that Mrs Prater "occupied the first floor front" room. I believe Prater also gave her address in her police statement as "27 Dorset Street", which is interesting in itself - albeit that reverts to "26" at the inquest.

Then there's her statement about her noticing "the light being out in the lodging house, where the windows look into Miller's Court", when she was awoken by Diddles. Various ingenious explanations have been advanced for this, which arguably stretch the definition of "lodging house" too far. However, I'd argue that the simplest explanation for her using the lodging-house light as a benchmark was that Prater's window(s) fronted onto Dorset Street itself, where there be lodging-houses.

I also did a survey (now lost, alas, due to the server crash) of all the newspaper reports I could find, and discovered that only a comparative handful used "THE room above deceased's room" - most accounts refer to "A room above deceased" or, on one or two occasions that I recall, "ALMOST above the deceased's room".

There is also that intriguing snippet - again, in the Telegraph - that "the couple in the room above" Kelly said they'd slept soundly throughout the night of her murder without hearing any scuffling sounds.

Chinese whispers? Perhaps, but taking all these threads together I found that I inclined to the conclusion that Prater's room was not above Kelly's after all.

Thanks for asking.

(PS: above written from memory, so apologies in advance if I got anything wrong!)
                          Last edited by Sam Flynn; 04-30-2008, 12:55 AM. Reason: Tidy up
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

A Fine Marshalling

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                            Hi Stewart,
                            A report in the Daily Telegraph of 10th November, which gives a very detailed description of the general layout of Miller's Court, and states that Mrs Prater "occupied the first floor front" room. I believe Prater also gave her address in her police statement as "27 Dorset Street", which is interesting in itself - albeit that reverts to "26" at the inquest.
                            Then there's her statement about her noticing "the light being out in the lodging house, where the windows look into Miller's Court", when she was awoken by Diddles. Various ingenious explanations have been advanced for this, which arguably stretch the definition of "lodging house" too far - e.g. Prater was referring to a neighbouring court (presumably New Court) on the same side of Dorset St as Miller's Court. However, I'd argue that the simplest explanation for her using the lodging-house light as a benchmark was that Prater's window(s) fronted onto Dorset Street itself.
                            I also did a survey (now lost, alas, due to the server crash) of all the newspaper reports I could find, and discovered that only a comparative handful used "THE room above deceased's room" - most accounts refer to "A room above deceased" or, on one or two occasions that I recall, "ALMOST above the deceased's room".
                            There is also that intriguing snippet - again, in the Telegraph - that "the couple in the room above" Kelly said they'd slept soundly throughout the night of her murder without hearing any scuffling sounds.
                            Chinese whispers? Perhaps, but taking all these threads together I found that I inclined to the conclusion that Prater's room was not above Kelly's after all.
                            Thanks for asking.
                            (PS: above written from memory, so apologies in advance if I got anything wrong!)
                            A fine marshalling of your evidence Gareth, but I would not agree. I am, of course, aware of what the Daily Telegraph report says but you know how unreliable newspaper reports can sometimes be, and this report appeared on the morning of the 10th, two days before the inquest and at a time when many early erroneous reports were appearing. The Times in fact states that Prater's room was above Kelly's, thus sort of negating the Telegraph report.

The giving of the address as No. 27 (McCarthy's shop) seems to be an error. Regarding the lodging house where she saw the light was out, Crossingham's, at no. 17 opposite, could hardly be said to 'look into' Miller's Court (all you would see from there would be the arched entrance). I am not sure of the location of the lodging houses to the rear of Miller's Court but there was a tall building at the end of the court which did overlook, and look into, Miller's Court. Prater's words included the phrase, "...as I frequently hear such cries from the back of the lodging house where the windows look into Miller's Court." So this does seem to indicate that it was the rear of that particular building at the end of the Court. The lodging house opposite the front of 26 Dorset Street could hardly be described thus, and she surely wouldn't have heard noises at the back of that building.

However, the clincher for me comes with Prater's written statement from the Kelly inquest papers, and you can clearly see what that says -

Click image for larger version

Name:	praterevidence.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	653548
                            SPE

Comment

Originally posted by paul emmett View Post
                              Hi, Celesta.

I hope you can find it, because I side with the early posters on this thread, Monty and JB, who felt that the stretch suggested in these pics would take a long and possibly bloodied arm.

I'm not sure where I saw it. It was recently. I'll retrace my reading material and see if I can find it. Will let you know.
                              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Thanks for that, Stewart - your observation in respect of the lodging-house is apposite and certainly works. I'd only observe in respect of the inquest transcript that "a" and "thuh" ("the") might easily be confused and overlooked - which cuts both ways, of course (i.e. the papers may have misheard "the room" for "a room"). However, please forgive me if I believe that there remain reasonable grounds for doubt, which I still do.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X