Mjk In Cardiff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandi View Post
    Sarah – I haven’t been able to find out exactly where the House of Mercy was in Llandaff. I don’t know the area myself but am hoping to do a bit more research and then pay a visit! The website www.british-history.ac.uk has the following:

Letter from Mr. Arthur J. Harris, Clerk to the Llandaff Highway Board… The public at present have a right of fordway across the river at the point connecting the road from Cardiff and the Merthyr turnpike-road, near Maindy, with the road leading past the old House of Mercy to Llandaff Mill.
    Llandaff is definitely worth a visit if you're in the area. It's a really pretty, atmospheric village - and some very nice pubs / restaurants to stop at for lunch while you're there !!!

Sadly a lot of it was demolished to make way for Western Avenue coming through, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that if you track down the House of Mercy the building will still be standing.
    Last edited by SarahLee; 05-29-2012, 08:30 PM.
    Sarah

Comment

Hi All,

Sadly I have a feeling the Llandaff House of Mercy may no longer exist.

The Building News, 21st April 1882 -

Click image for larger version

Name:	THE BUILDING NEWS 21 APR 1882 HOUSE OF MERCY.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	663953

Regards,

Simon
      Last edited by Simon Wood; 05-29-2012, 08:45 PM.
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

They may, of course, have been considering selling the old House of Mercy and constructing an improved facility elsewhere?

Dave

Comment

Working...
        X