Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mjk In Cardiff?

Hi

Although I like to read and keep uptodate with the forum this is my first posting on it. I’m particularly interested in Welsh women’s history and some of the research for my MA dissertation focused on working-class women in Butetown (aka Tiger Bay) in Cardiff during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I find Mary Kelly particularly interesting because of her alleged earlier years in Wales and possible links to Cardiff and thought the following might be of interest to Kelly researchers…

As many of you are probably aware (so I hope I’m not being patronising!), Cardiff experienced a “boom” period following the development of the docks from the mid-19th century onwards and it gained a somewhat notorious reputation due to the “sailortown” nature of Charlotte Street and Whitmore Lane and, later, Bute Street. The number of prostitutes in the town prompted the great and the good to attempt to “rescue” some of these fallen women. In 1863, the “First Annual Report of the House of Mercy for South Wales and Monmouthshire” was published. The house was based in Llandaff and was allied to the Anglican church having the Bishop of Llandaff as a visitor. The overall aim was to rehabilitate the “penitents” with the aim of placing them in respectable employment on leaving the house. In the 1881 census 22 penitents are listed including one Mary Davies, Single, 24, born 1857, Aberdare, Glamorganshire. (Census reference: RG11 / 5288 / 66 / 47)

Another institution which I think might be connected to the House of Mercy was at 1 & 2 North Church Street (near the docks) which I think was more of an educational establishment rather than a rescue house and was run by Sisters of Charity. Interestingly, a Margaret Kelly, aged 22, born 1859 is shown working there as a servant in the 1881 census. (Census reference: RG11 / 5280 / 90 / 26)

A second institution in Cardiff was a Roman Catholic House for Fallen Women in Roath. (The official name was the Convent & Asylum of the Good Shepherd). I assume that this house operated along the same lines as the Anglican one by attempting to “re-train” inmates for more respectable employment. In the 1881 census 99 inmates are listed including a Mary Kelly, Single, 28, born 1853, Brighton, Sussex. Her “occupation” is given as a Laundress, along with a number of the other inmates. Hopefully the regime here was kinder than that in the Magdalene Laundries in Ireland. Interestingly, there are four women whose birthplace is given as France! A number of birthplaces are given on the transcription as Newport, Essex when it should clearly be Newport, Monmouthshire. (Census reference: RG11 / 5284 / 52 / 51)

Perhaps not surprisingly, these types of institutions were not entirely successful in reforming women. One of their strategies was to place the women in employment away from the areas where they had been working as prostitutes so a woman from Cardiff could easily end up working in domestic service in London. But the sheer drudgery and poor pay for being a servant was unappealing to some of these women and they returned to their former ‘professions’ in the areas they had been placed.

As far as women who might have had illegitimate children in these institutions, I haven’t been able to ascertain what happened to the children. There was another Roman Catholic institution in Cardiff called the Blackweir Charitable Institution which looked after a number of orphans as well as elderly people. (Census reference: RG11 / 5276 / 28 / 11)

A quick look at the 1881 census for the Cardiff Workhouse shows the following:
    Margaret Davies, Inmate, Single, F, 23, born 1858, Domestic Servant, born Aberdare, Glamorgan
    Mary Ann Davies, Inmate, Single, F, 19, born 1862, Domestic Servant, born Cardiff, Glamorgan
    and shown separately
    Eliza Davis(!), Inmate, Single, F, 3, born 1878, Scholar, born Cardiff, Glamorgan
    Can’t help wondering if little Eliza might be connected to Mary Ann Davies. (Census reference: RG11 / 5290 / 52 / 1)

Finally, as a keen amateur genealogist, I’ve spent quite a lot of time doing research around various ancestors who migrated from rural Wales and Somerset to the industrialised Welsh valleys. A common trend was for family members to send word back to relatives of where they had settled so other relatives could follow them. This might be an explanation for MJK supposedly having family in Cardiff. South Wales as a whole had large numbers of Irish migrants who gravitated towards places such as Llanelli, Swansea and Merthyr as well as Cardiff. Cardiff docks were virtually built by Irish labourers and there was a large and thriving Irish community called Newtown next to Butetown which has sadly been all but demolished. For what its worth, I would hazard a guess that MJK’s father worked in South Wales rather than North and that he probably followed some of his relatives in the search for work which was plentiful in South Wales in the mid to late 19th century.

Hi Mandi...welcome to the boards...interesting post...particularly the custom of placing fallen women in domestic service in London (which sounds very much as if it could be MJKs story)...

Thanks

Dave

Comment

Hi Mandi, welcome.

There's a couple of issues to consider in looking for Mary Kelly in Cardiff.
      One story has her associating with her cousin, perhaps living with her aunt in Cardiff? The suggestion was this cousin (male/female?) led MJK down the wrong path. Or possibly that is who Mary choose to blame for her fall from grace?

Also, if Mary did spend some time in an infirmary around that part of the country she may have registered under a different name. I consider this due to the later story that her father came looking for her in the East end of London (Pennington St.?).

So, "Mary Kelly", may not be the name to look for among institution records in Cardiff, it rather depends on what she was in the institution for.

Regards, Jon S.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Very interesting research angle.

One quick point Davies/Davis was Mary's married name I believe, yet all these are listed as single (could be a mistake of course).

Comment

The Davies/Davis/Daveys angle is hampered by there being no surviving marriage certificate, so was that little story true, or not?

Regards, Jon S.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Speculating...

I do wonder if Davies was her real name (the previous marriage story being used to explain the otherwise wrong appelation on letters from home) and Kelly an assumed name...by both Mary and Joe in turn...now there would be an irony!

Dave

Comment

Quite possibly Dave, I also considered Davies was the cousin's family name, that she might have adopted while living with her aunt in Cardiff (assuming that is accurate).

Who knows....
              Regards, Jon S.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Mandi, welcome to Casebook!

Thank you for your very interesting information. I look forward to your future posts.

Best regards,
                Archaic

Comment

thanks

Hello Mandi. Welcome to the boards.

Thanks for the research on Mary Ann Davies. Perhaps it shall bear fruit?

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Hi Mandi and welcome aboard !!!
                    Some very interesting research there and I hope we get to see more of it.

Out of interest, have you been able to find whereabouts in Llandaff the House of Mercy was situated?
                    Sarah

Comment

Hi Mandi,

Welcome to the boards. Great first post.

I hope this helps you in your research—

Click image for larger version

Name:	ECCLESIATICAL ALMANACK 1876 LLANDAFF.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	663930

Regards,

Simon
                      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thanks very much to you all for your feedback.

Sarah – I haven’t been able to find out exactly where the House of Mercy was in Llandaff. I don’t know the area myself but am hoping to do a bit more research and then pay a visit! The website www.british-history.ac.uk has the following:

Letter from Mr. Arthur J. Harris, Clerk to the Llandaff Highway Board… The public at present have a right of fordway across the river at the point connecting the road from Cardiff and the Merthyr turnpike-road, near Maindy, with the road leading past the old House of Mercy to Llandaff Mill.

Simon – thanks very much for the article you posted, I really appreciate it. It’s awful to think that these poor women had to spend up to two years of their lives “repenting” in these places.

Comment

Hi Mandy,

The House of Mercy was administered/run by the Church Penitentiary Association.

Here's a few details -

Name:	CHURCH PENITENTIARY ASSOCIATION [1].JPG
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	663934

Name:	CHURCH PENITENTIARY ASSOCIATION [2].JPG
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	663935

Regards,

Simon
                          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Mandi,

I add my own welcome to that of others. There was a lot of interesting material in there for a first post. I hope you stick around.

Regards, Bridewell.
                            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Again, Simon, thanks very much!

Comment

Working...
                              X