Limerick, the Key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Debra A View Post
    There was a Michael Kelly in the 2Bt Scots Guards, serving in 1888, who I've mentioned a couple of times. He was born in Ireland and his next of kin is given as his mother, still living back in Ireland (letters from Ireland?). No one batted an eyelid though or showed the slightest interest in him...what are we looking for if not the exact details according to MJK? That's the big question?

Well f*** me.
    Really?
    How have I not known this? Surely this is the guy we need to 'speak' with.
    I will re-engage my Ancestry subscription (currently languishing in relax mode) to research the hell out of this guy!
    Debra A, I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and your research... I await your command!

Comment

• A Rival?!

Originally posted by DrHopper View Post
      Well f*** me.
      Really?
      How have I not known this? Surely this is the guy we need to 'speak' with.
      I will re-engage my Ancestry subscription (currently languishing in relax mode) to research the hell out of this guy!
      Debra A, I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and your research... I await your command!

Hi Debs,

It would seem there are now two of us waiting to do your bidding. I guess we just need date & place of birth as recorded in the SG records and we can get cracking. The good doctor and I can perhaps split the workload between us, if he (or she) is agreeable.

Regards, Colin.
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Duh, I forgot one crucial thing... he deserted in 87 and rejoined in 91!

Michael Kelly b 1868 in Tralee Tralee, Creiry [Kerry]
        attested at London 8 July 1887 aged 19 years 10 months
        occupation groom
        deserted 1887 rejoined 1891 discharged 1893
        educated at Christian Brothers School
        next of kin Susan [no surname] mother 55 High St Tralee Kerry

What about Patrick O'?

Patrick O'Kelly b 1868 Cork, Cork
        attested 2 Sept. 1887 aged 19 years 4 months at London
        occupation labourer
        discharged in 1899 and rejoined colours 1900 to 1903
        next of kin Timothy Kelly father of Cork
        wife [of Patrick] Julia, 57 Heath Rd Lambeth

Comment

• Not Yet Found

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
          Duh, I forgot one crucial thing... he deserted in 87 and rejoined in 91!

Michael Kelly b 1868 in Tralee Tralee, Creiry [Kerry]
          attested at London 8 July 1887 aged 19 years 10 months
          occupation groom
          deserted 1887 rejoined 1891 discharged 1893
          educated at Christian Brothers School
          next of kin Susan [no surname] mother 55 High St Tralee Kerry

What about Patrick O'?

Patrick O'Kelly b 1868 Cork, Cork
          attested 2 Sept. 1887 aged 19 years 4 months at London
          occupation labourer
          discharged in 1899 and rejoined colours 1900 to 1903
          next of kin Timothy Kelly father of Cork
          wife [of Patrick] Julia, 57 Heath Rd Lambeth
          I've done a quick late night check on both of these without getting any definite matches. I'll have another go at a more civilised hour.

Regards, Bridewell.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Had a look, cant find a marriage record for Patrick O Kelly or Kelly \and a Julia between 1888 /1900 in London,
            but in 1891 census found a Julia Kelly 27 married, visitor to 33 Graham Rd Hackney.
            Up to my ears in Kellys at the mo, just going through London Johns Marys and Margarets is doing my head in, You rarely get two consistent censuses.

Miss Marple

Comment

• Removed
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• To start to find Mary, it would be useful to eliminate Limerick MKS born in the 1860s. If it was possible to trace various Marys, one might emerge who could be a contender.
                For example I have taken five Marys born in 1864, one in 1863 and one in 65 born in LIMERICK COUNTY who might need further investigation. A small number of Marys could be investigated by different people born in different years for example.
                Many Irish records were lost in 1916 but there are Civil Registration records of births deaths and marriages and Church records and Census records up to 1851. These are available on Ancestry and other sites.
                The Marys are
                MK born 1863 Askeaton,parents Michael Kelly and Mary O'Shaunessy
                MK born 1864 Kilfinnane, parents Thomas Kelly Honora Magrath
                At least four siblings, Catherine, Patrick, Ellen and Bridget.
                MK born 1864 Charleville, parents Michael Kelly and Bridget Cathy
                MK born 1864 St Michael's, parents Patrick and Mary Connor
                MK born 1864 Limerick, parents Michael Kelly and Honora Flaherty
                MK born 1864 Castletown, parents John Kelly and Anne McCarthy.
                That Castletown one has always been my favourite. Two brothers,John born 1866, Peter born 1868 and a sister whom Ive lost!
                Mary Kate Kelly born 1865 St Michaels, parents John Kelly and Bridget Flynn.
                There are at least four marriages of Mary Kellys in Limerick in 1885/6 which would help elimination.
                I have only been looking at familysearch.org which is free and useful but for more detail one needs to go on the paid sites. I have a friend on ANCESTRY who helps me out so I will explore that avenue.
                Its a long hard road.
                Happy New Year, Miss Marple

Comment

• Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                  To start to find Mary, it would be useful to eliminate Limerick MKS born in the 1860s. If it was possible to trace various Marys, one might emerge who could be a contender.
                  For example I have taken five Marys born in 1864, one in 1863 and one in 65 born in LIMERICK COUNTY who might need further investigation. A small number of Marys could be investigated by different people born in different years for example.
                  Many Irish records were lost in 1916 but there are Civil Registration records of births deaths and marriages and Church records and Census records up to 1851. These are available on Ancestry and other sites.
                  The Marys are
                  MK born 1863 Askeaton,parents Michael Kelly and Mary O'Shaunessy
                  MK born 1864 Kilfinnane, parents Thomas Kelly Honora Magrath
                  At least four siblings, Catherine, Patrick, Ellen and Bridget.
                  MK born 1864 Charleville, parents Michael Kelly and Bridget Cathy
                  MK born 1864 St Michael's, parents Patrick and Mary Connor
                  MK born 1864 Limerick, parents Michael Kelly and Honora Flaherty
                  MK born 1864 Castletown, parents John Kelly and Anne McCarthy.
                  That Castletown one has always been my favourite. Two brothers,John born 1866, Peter born 1868 and a sister whom Ive lost!
                  Mary Kate Kelly born 1865 St Michaels, parents John Kelly and Bridget Flynn.
                  There are at least four marriages of Mary Kellys in Limerick in 1885/6 which would help elimination.
                  I have only been looking at familysearch.org which is free and useful but for more detail one needs to go on the paid sites. I have a friend on ANCESTRY who helps me out so I will explore that avenue.
                  Its a long hard road.
                  Happy New Year, Miss Marple
                  I read somewhere that she moved to Swansea for a short while before heading to Cardiff. Any way to track her there?

Comment

• Marys family? The Times, Wed 14th Nov 1888

Not exactly the right thread but couldnt find another to post this article on.
                    Can anybody tell me how reliable the Times was back then?
                    Pat......
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Wilton was Sexton at St. Leonards and paid for Kelly's funeral.
                      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Interesting that it says relatives and friends coming from Wales.
                        Pat...

Comment

• Suspect our Mary Kelly was a 27 year old local actually baptised at St. Leonard's.

Might have had an accountant brother in the Swansea area,employed in the copper smelting industry.

Comment

• This one maybe in 1881 census?

Mary Kelly, Unmarried, aged 23, Prostitute, Born Whitechapel.
                            I believe she was in local workhouse.

I did find one born local with father John and a lot of brothers also....

Pat...

Comment

• Or this one? also in 1881 census Could be the same one. Only this one was in the Workhouse infirmary......

Mary Kelly, Castle Alley 23, single, Prostitute .....with Syphilis.

Pat.......

Comment

• Possibly.

Might have put her age up by three years.

Dunno.

C of E though.

Comment

Working...
                                X