The ALLEGED photograph of Mary Jane Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    As it is clear, that the group photograph is separate from Kelly's, one can assume that the family were sent that image, by either MJK herself , or was in the personal belongings sent to her brother John Jo, as in John Joseph.
    The picture clearly was a reminder of better times, and may well have been one of several dresses her landlady retained until Mary fetched them.
    I do not have a problem with the clothing, as for the length of hair, it was tucked up under the hat, anyway hair grows in three years,.
    I still have a feeling this is real, just a small doubt remains.
    I guess it's watch this space.
    Regards Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
      Hello Chris,

May I please add my thanks for this information and the photo.

Practically, questions must be asked.

If the photo was taken in 1885, what was her age?
      The family would know the names of all the siblings. Do THEIR ages match up with any known facts with 'our' Mary? Are they all older?
      IF they are all older, were they all living at home in 1888 when the family emigrated?
      Did EVERY family member emigrate?
      Where in Ireland did they live?
      For a seemingly so close knit and devoted family, why didnt anyone contact the police and identify THEMSELVES as a relative, let alone not turn up at the funeral.
      I also note that we have not heard why, with knowledge that people have risen a gravestone for Mary a few decades ago, now is the time to claim knowledge of 'Mary Kelly' and not at some time in the past? Why now?

And how many family members SINCE have known about the 'truth' re Mary? For with so many siblings, the family 5 or 6 generations along would likely be enormous- yet nobody has breathed a word for 124 years?
      The story is equally, if not more important than the photograph, imho.
      Not being dismissive- am respectfully looking for supporting evidence etc.

Kindly

Phil
      Phil, I could not have said this better myself and in my most humble opinion, I have always wondered if Mary supposedly had that many family members living in London, why oh why would they not come to her funeral and/or offer to pay for and lay her to rest???? I understand they were possibly ashamed or maybe frightened but for every single one of them to just stay away and not move a muscle in the direction of her remains to at least pay their respects is odd. I am curious as to where the family photo came from???? Were her family members that cold blooded to not come forward??? Why does the lady want the entire picture held back??? I have actually not seen the picture myself of Bridgett. Does the lady who has the family photo know the family or is she family??? Its sad that the family just stayed away and let McCarthy pay for the funeral when they were her flesh and blood. If they were like this, well no wonder she ran off from home and had nothing to do with them!!!!! They should have been ashamed of themselves.

Comment

But Not To Me

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
        And also a cropped dark Beatle style haircut which Victorian women didn't wear back then unless they worked down the mines or whatever and is completely different from the hair of the body on the bed which is straight and swept back .

Thanks for the side by side photos on page 4 here, Roy.

They look like the same person to me. Check the left eyebrow.

And if this is the same Mrs Bartlett I wouldn't be surprised that glamorous (sic) photos of her were sold on street corners for a penny.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brows...-466#highlight
        Hi Stephen,

To me they look similar, but not the same. I think the bottom of the left ear is different, as is the top lip. My perception is that Adelaide Bartlett's nose is thicker & coarser than that of "MJ Que?". It's not a bad likeness, but I don't think it's the same woman. No doubt I'll be proved wrong (again!).

Regards, Bridewell.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

The pic doesn't come from Fairclough so it can be genuine.
          Chris, you're great.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
            I'm rather of the opinion that it isn't Mary Kelly, both because the eye color is evidently wrong, and because the woman in the picture is wearing too fashionable clothing. Mary Kelly had evidently been a prostitute for several years, and had already drank herself out of a brothel and onto the streets. For Mary Kelly to look as young as the woman in that picture, she would have to have posed for it before turning 20, probably before 18, and the clothes are too modern for her to be a teenager. But they are too stylish for her to have had them at the end of her life. Also I forgot. The jewelery is too expensive. It's not that expensive, but it's not something a streetwalker could afford to keep. Or to buy.

I don't think it's a swindle or anything. When we were going through all the pictures of when my sister and I were kids, 90% of the ones labeled as me were my sister. And we don't look that much alike. My parents just hadn't slept through the night in four years. It might be a different Mary Kelly, or it might be a different relative who was labeled as Mary Kelly, and the real picture of Mary Kelly has someone else's name on it.
            Absolutely!! The woman in the picture looks to me like a young girl from a wealthy family. She looks too young to be Mary Kelley and yes, MJK would have not been able to keep or afford clothing and jewelry such as in the photograph being a prostitute from Whitechapel. The girl in the picture looks extremely self assured as well as intelligent, almost like she had gone to a presitious school for young ladies. I disregard this photo as MJK. It is possible this picture is mislabeled.

Comment

Danae, disregarding it is your prerogative of course, but personally I'd prefer to wait until Chris has more information or further evidence.

The girl in the picture looks extremely self assured as well as intelligent, almost like she had gone to a presitious school for young ladies. I disregard this photo as MJK.
              It's reasonable to assume on the evidence that Mary Kelly was self-assured:

'Said to have been possessed of considerable personal attractions.'

'Detective Constable Walter Dew claimed to know Kelly well by sight and says that she was attractive and paraded around, usually in the company of two or three friends. He says she always wore a spotlessly clean white apron.'

Maria Harvey, a friend, says that she was 'much superior to that of most persons in her position in life.'

Joseph Barnett and Mrs. Carthy, a woman with whom she lived at one time, say that she came from a family that was "fairly well off" (Barnett) and "well to do people" (Carthy). Mrs. Carthy also states that Kelly was "an excellent scholar and an artist of no mean degree."

Even if you take the stories of carriage rides and Parisian jaunts with a pinch of salt, they still suggest a young woman with certain airs and graces, and undoubtedly a sense of self-assurance.

Not that I'm saying I think it's her on this photo - merely that I don't think the confident demeanor or poise contradicts what is known of Mary.

Comment

The pic doesn't come from Fairclough so it can be genuine.
                DVV. You are a bad boy.
                Last edited by Henry Flower; 03-29-2012, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Hi ,
                  Henry sums it up nicely, the quotes from several witnesses indeed show a person who was on a higher level then the other victims, she even had her own room[ albeit rent was owed].
                  She was attractive, not only according to Dew, but McCarthy's fifteen year old son, she was good natured, despite the folk-law of ''Black Mary'' she kept herself clean although her clothes were worn.
                  This however was in late 1888, not 1885, and if her ex landlady was truthful, had some nice dresses at one time, although long gone at the time of her death.
                  We 'could ' be witnessing a picture of Kelly which was taken as stated in 1885, and that picture was sent to her family , either before death , or after, amongst her belongings.
                  One can imagine that she was proud of her appearance in former days, and would have kept that picture , possibly in her room on the night/morning of her death.
                  Not only could we have a picture of her , but something from room 13.
                  Regards Richard.

Comment

Good morning all,

I wonder if this could be a case of family history by word of mouth being twisted over the generations? Thus, this is great aunt Mary, she knew Mary Kelly who was killed by Jack the Ripper becomes this is great, great aunt Mary who was killed by Jack the Ripper. Perhaps also a reason for emigrating - a new start and also away from the killer.

Best wishes,
                    C4

P.s. please excuse any typos - problems with my laptop, so using my phone and my arms are too short!

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Flower View Post
                      Danae, disregarding it is your prerogative of course, but personally I'd prefer to wait until Chris has more information or further evidence.

It's reasonable to assume on the evidence that Mary Kelly was self-assured:

'Said to have been possessed of considerable personal attractions.'

'Detective Constable Walter Dew claimed to know Kelly well by sight and says that she was attractive and paraded around, usually in the company of two or three friends. He says she always wore a spotlessly clean white apron.'

Maria Harvey, a friend, says that she was 'much superior to that of most persons in her position in life.'

Joseph Barnett and Mrs. Carthy, a woman with whom she lived at one time, say that she came from a family that was "fairly well off" (Barnett) and "well to do people" (Carthy). Mrs. Carthy also states that Kelly was "an excellent scholar and an artist of no mean degree."

Even if you take the stories of carriage rides and Parisian jaunts with a pinch of salt, they still suggest a young woman with certain airs and graces, and undoubtedly a sense of self-assurance.

Not that I'm saying I think it's her on this photo - merely that I don't think the confident demeanor or poise contradicts what is known of Mary.
                      In the versions of this quote I have read, it ends with "and no hat".

Cheers,
                      C4

Comment

Yes indeed C4 it does. What it doesn't say is that Mary Kelly had never worn a hat in her life, ever, not even once, for a formal cabinet photograph.

Comment

Going back to the fragment of the group photo, which shows Bridget : could the background of that be a photographer's studio? If anything, it looks like net curtains. Would curtains have been a normal background in a studio?

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                            Wow. Just saw this thread. very exciting stuff.

However. Did not Mary kelly have blue eyes? The woman in this photo appears to have VERY dark eyes-dark brown i would say.

She looks French.

Comment

C4 -

I wonder if this could be a case of family history by word of mouth being twisted over the generations? Thus, this is great aunt Mary, she knew Mary Kelly who was killed by Jack the Ripper becomes this is great, great aunt Mary who was killed by Jack the Ripper. Perhaps also a reason for emigrating - a new start and also away from the killer.
                              I've been wondering the same thing - it seems very possible indeed. My old mum looks at old photos from her younger years and has a hard time remembering exactly which family member was which. And that's just looking back one generation.

Comment

photo

True Henry, but if her hair was her "crowning glory", would she want to cover it up?

Best wishes,
                                C4

Comment

Working...
                                X