Relatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

¨Hello Robert,

I think that it could refer to old, healed tuberculosis.

Cheers,
    C4

Comment

Hi Curious

Thanks. Well, that would seem ideal, except that Mary was hardly living in a healthy area for an ex-TB sufferer. I don't know whether people can shake off TB for a few years, or whether it's always hovering in the background.

Comment

Hello Robert,

You can shake it off even when quite bad - I did as a child, but still have the parts affected showing but healed - incapsulated, I think it´s called. And the lesions were in her lungs.

Cheers,
        C4

Comment

Thanks, Curious.

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
            ¨Hello Robert,

I think that it could refer to old, healed tuberculosis.

Cheers,
            C4
            Which makes me wonder if "spent some time in an infirmary" in Cardiff might actually be suggestive of time spent in a sanatorium recovering from TB.
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Is it just me, or does that photo of (allegedly) Bridget Kelly look a lot like a young Michael Atherton?

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                Is it just me, or does that photo of (allegedly) Bridget Kelly look a lot like a young Michael Atherton?
                There is a resemblance.

If we find a Druitt/Atherton connection can we consider the case closed?

Comment

Hi C4,
                  if course as Chris pointed out, she just needed one lie, her name, but the name is all we have. I still think the general direction of her life is fairly accurate. I think you are over estimating the length of the timescale. I think the most dodgy 'fact' is her marriage to Davies. If she was born about 1864 and did marry at 16,1880, the marriage may have only lasted a few months not years. I thinks its more likely she ran off to Cardiff and became a pro. She may have borrowed the Davies story from someone else or known someone who had been widowed, the story was to create an air of respectability and sympathy. She could have been in a hospital any time 1881/3 in Cardiff.
                  If she was in London about 1884 working in a gay house, it would not have been roses or living the high life, even in the West End. but relentless Hard work.
                  France may have been an opportunity, to get out, she may have been lured there by the promise of a better life , [as so many girls were] only to find conditions worse, French whore houses were terrible. So she comes back with no money. It least in the East End she is free, no pimps or madams, stitching her up. She can control her work, work when she wants and most of all because she is young and attractive find men to keep her. I think Mary liked the drink too much. There is no evidence she ever got a job or tried to support herself outside of men.

Miss Marple
                  Last edited by miss marple; 03-19-2012, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Hello Chris,
                    Thanks for the clarification , and I fully understand your options, it is always somewhat exiting to view a period photograph, when It could relate to a victim of Jack the Ripper, and it must be so frustrating to view, feeling it could well be a fake, but what a privilege if it was authentic.
                    Best regards
                    Richard.

Comment

John 2?

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                      Congrats, Jon!

I still can't get the 'John too' becoming 'Jonto' to work for me though, even though we may even be saying it in the same accent?
                      It must have been a written mistake in that case? Barnett said 'John too' and it was written down as John to (which is where most people confuse words like 'to and too', then and than, of and off; in writing?) later someone making the two separate words into a one word name? Is that what you mean, a two step written mistake?
                      John 2 perhaps, if his father was also called John?

Comment

Just a suggestion, but could Johnto be a corruption of Ianto?
                        Any welshmen out there to back me up?
                        C4

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                          Congrats, Jon!

I still can't get the 'John too' becoming 'Jonto' to work for me though, even though we may even be saying it in the same accent?
                          It must have been a written mistake in that case?
                          Hi Debs.
                          Oh yes, certainly it was a mistake. Wasn't it written by Abberline?
                          I should look, just got in from work, but if I recall, that line was taken from a statement, presumably written by Abberline, or his assistant.
                          Barnett say's "John too", and it was written "Johnto", not as a name but just that there must be little to no separation between the words.

I'd like to see the original for myself.

Anyway, cheers to youto, I mean "you too"

Regards, Jon S.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi ,
                            I expected to log on this morning with a host of replies, referring to the picture [ alleged] of Kelly's younger sister , but apart from the Atherton comments, zero.
                            Here we have the [ alleged] sister of MJK, in black and white, [ even more important then Philip Hutchinson's yard discovery] but no endearing comments.
                            Why is that?
                            I say this with no disrespect to Chris, but it is abundantly clear to me ,that the sender of the photographs is just testing the water, and by letting a well respected researcher from the UK have them under lock and key, he, or she, knows that credibility is assured.
                            I hate to be so negative, and I really hope that the pictures are authentic, that would be a priceless find, and not just talking finance, but I am not holding my breath.
                            Regards Richard.

Comment

Richard
                              I have no convincing evidence that either photo is what is claimed for it. Until such time as that is provided I would not contemplate endorsing or promoting these images.
                              All I can say is that these images were not sent recently but nearly two years ago and I have been in discussion with the sender for some time. It was with great reluctance on the part of the provider that it was agreed that even one face from the composite image could be shown. If the provider is "testing the waters" they have taken a very long winded and seemingly reluctant way of doing this. It took a lot of gentle persuasion on my part over a lengthy period to get the concession of posting this one fragmentary image.
                              Chris

Comment

Hello Chris.
                                Thanks for explaining , it certainly puts a different light on it, I just felt the need to ask a question or two, as being around for so long has made me a suspicious oldie.
                                One cant help wondering why the owner should send it in the first place. if reluctant to share , its all very confusing, but good luck with any future correspondence in that sphere.
                                Regards Richard.

Comment

Working...
                                X