Kelly's Killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Hello Caroline. Well I should like to see a good bit more connective tissue than I have seen until now.

(By the way, what counts as closeness? 1 mile? 2 miles? 5?)
    Hi Lynn,

I think if you had the chance to walk the sites regularly you would get a feel for the closeness of which I speak. Even after thirteen years of doing so myself, I only recently appreciated just how close the murders of Emma Smith and Martha Tabram were - despite these two ladies having far less connective tissue than subsequent victims.

I think the Dry Bones song could be adapted to explain my own feelings on the matter:

The Smith one's connected to the Tab-ram (by geography and victim type)

The Tabram's connected to the Nich-ols (by timing, victim type and generally sensational nature of the crimes)

The Nichols connects to the Chap-man (by timing and victim type again, specific wounds)

The Chapman's connected to the Kelly job (by geography, victim type and wounds)

The Stride job's connected to the Eddowes job (by perfect timing and geography, victim type - as in 'unfortunate' - not to mention all the reasons why a mutilator would be unable or unwilling to succeed with the first and require the second)

Eddowes is connected to the Kelly job (by the personal touch and other wounds, and both being unfortunates)

And that's only for starters.

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Errata View Post
      Which is why I think Kelly's murder was personal. It could have been the same guy, who had a different interest in his previous victims, but it was a different motive. Kelly was punished. Her genitals were pulped, her organs and skin arranged for display, he lips were cubed, her eyes intact and her heart taken. Sort of like all the ways "she done him wrong" were chopped up, placed on the table and under head, he left her eyes so she could watch him take his revenge, and took her heart because she should have given it to him in the first place. We had a less spectacular version of this a few years ago here. The only difference was that the abdominal damage was not as extensive as Kelly, and Kelly didn't have her fingers chopped off and her hands flensed. It may be totally different, but the possibility remains that this was a realllly pissed off suitor.
      Hi Errata,

To be fair Kelly cannot really be considered in total isolation when we have Eddowes looking like another, all too recent case of 'personal' punishment. Whatever we think of a certain unknown diary author's work, I am always impressed with their suggestion that Eddowes lost her nose because it 'annoyed' her killer.

I still suspect that 'personal' only extended to the killer's immediately personal and urgent need or desire to punish the next female stranger he encountered in a reasonably private situation. Whether he killed them to punish womankind, or to punish a specific woman who had really pissed him off (but he dared not kill because he would be the obvious suspect), I doubt the evidence could tell us. But I don't see why it's probable that he knew Kelly personally, or had been pissed off with her personally, to do what he did to her - especially if he had most probably killed Chapman and/or Eddowes.

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• tippler

Hello David. Are you writing that whilst tippling from a cask of amontillado?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• by reason of insanity

Hello Chris. Hmm, may not be Kelly's killer--doesn't look sexually insane to me.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

• verdict

Hello Caroline.

"I only recently appreciated just how close the murders of Emma Smith and Martha Tabram were - despite these two ladies having far less connective tissue than subsequent victims."

Completely agree. So, what is the verdict? Are they by the same hand? If so, perhaps all the WCM were perpetrated by the same gang that was purported to have killed Smith.

Different hands? So then closeness does not guarantee sameness of hand.

(I did like your song, however. I must reciprocate some day--if I ever get clever, rare commodity for me these days.)

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• Good one, Chris. Certainly a maniac of a most virulent type, although he looks harmless like the Good Mike.

Comment

• a promise is a promise

Hello Caroline. The devil made me do it. Please forgive the poor taste, but it explains my point.

In Spitalfields, where I was born
                There was a hooker dwellin’,
                The punters they,
                Cried well-a-day,
                Her name was Polly Nichols.

All in the merry summer time,
                Though much rain it was pourin’,
                From a butcher’s home,
                Jake ‘gan to roam,
                And carried his knives with him.

He did for one, then did for two,
                The other’s name was Annie.
                With bad luck fraught,
                He soon was caught,
                And there it might have ended.

But others were, within the town,
                And they had scores to settle,
                So with poor Kate,
                He did not wait,
                But made her look just like 'em. (Well, almost.)

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• "Le ciel est bleu
                  La mer est verte
                  Laisse un peu
                  La fenêtre ouverte..."

Comment

• I aways find that psychological distance depends on interest or familiarity. If it's a route I know well, with markers such as familiar shops etc, then I seem to walk from A to B very quickly. But if I walk the same distance and the roads are dreary, or I'm not sure how far I must walk to reach my detination, then the walk seems to drag on for ever.

Comment

• That's true, Robert.
                      Hutchinson is also an excellent example of this relativity.
                      In his geography, Romford is closer to the Victoria Home than Commercial Street. Going back and forth to Romford was nothing to Hutch, while it took him no less than 3 days to reach the police station.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                        But I don't see why it's probable that he knew Kelly personally, or had been pissed off with her personally, to do what he did to her - especially if he had most probably killed Chapman and/or Eddowes.
                        Taking her heart is really odd though isn't it, considering nothing else was taken away. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the 'familial' argument, but you cannot say it is not justified to a degree.
                        Why take the heart, to implicate someone else?

Regards, Jon S.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                          Taking her heart is really odd though isn't it, considering nothing else was taken away. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the 'familial' argument, but you cannot say it is not justified to a degree.
                          Regards, Jon S.
                          Indeed, Jon. Add to this the fact that she was murdered indoors and the last victim of the series, and much younger than the others.
                          So yes, it is certainly justified to a degree, to say the least.

Comment

• Awe Lynn, you didn't use Charlie Daniels??
                            The devil went down to London he was lookin' for a lass to kill,
                            He was in a bind, fallen way behind, and was lookin' to make a deal.
                            The lass said my names Kelly and I'll make a bet with you,
                            Bet a pint of ale,you're not from hell,and meet in my room about 2.
                            I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                            Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
                              That's true, Robert.
                              Hutchinson is also an excellent example of this relativity.
                              In his geography, Romford is closer to the Victoria Home than Commercial Street. Going back and forth to Romford was nothing to Hutch, while it took him no less than 3 days to reach the police station.
                              There are those who might say, it took three days to wash the blood out of his clothes...

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• good one

Hello Joe. Good to see you around. Hope you are well.

Good one.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X