No announcement yet.

The burnt clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "This also suggests that Lewis’ evidence was very much accessible to ordinary members of the public well in advance of the inquest."

...and so Hutchinson's appearance at Commercial Street Police Station wasn't related to Lewis's appearnec at the inquest? Or are you suggesting he was primed due to her blabbing to everyone?

Comment

• I believe that Hutchinson's appearance at Commercial Street Police Station was very much related to Lewis's appearance at the inquest, as you know. I don't know if Lewis blabbed to "everyone", but she clearly discussed her experiences with other people prior to appearing at the inquest, and it was because of this that her account came to be Chinese-whispered by other women.

Comment

• Hi Ben,

Thanks for that.

An issue with the burning of clothes for light would appear to be why would the killer need it? After all, he had carried out similar, if less extensive mutilations, before in near or complete darkness.

If he did need the light then it would point to a late night/ early morning killing, because the daylight no matter how drab or dismal, or obstructed, it would have surely sufficed.

Can I wish everyone a Happy Easter. May us all be rejuvenated. Let all grudges and grievances be for gotten and forgiven.

Best wishes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatchett View Post
          After all, he had carried out similar, if less extensive mutilations, before in near or complete darkness.
          Speculation of course, Hatchett, but that may have been the very reason he wanted to light a fire: so that he could finally see what he was doing, not just feel it. This may also have been the reason why Chapman was killed and mutilated when she was.

Happy Easter,
          Frank
          "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
          Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

• Hi FrankO,

Yes maybe so. I seem to remember reading something the Yorkshire Ripper said about the effect his first killing where he had actually seen the blood had on him.

Maybe even could be an explanation why the mutilations where so extensive.

Best wises.

Comment

Maybe even could be an explanation why the mutilations where so extensive.
              Quite possibly, Hatchett. After all, especially the outdoors murders show that the mutilations were of major importance to the Ripper. Even though he would hang if caught, he did not leave directly after killing but took the extra time and risk to mutilate.

All the best,
              Frank
              "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
              Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

• Originally posted by Garry Wroe View Post
                Maria Harvey had been sleeping in Kelly's room, Carol, but had secured accommodation of her own in New Court several days before the murder.
                Hi Garry,
                Thank you for the info relating to Maria Harvey.
                Love
                Carol

Comment

• My pleasure, Carol.

Comment

• Hi FrankO,

I think you are right. The mutilations were the motive rather than the killing. Infact, the actual murders would appear to have been very brief and perfunctary. The mutilations would have taken more time.

I think they were the esence,

Best wishes.

Comment

Hi FrankO,

I think you are right. The mutilations were the motive rather than the killing. Infact, the actual murders would appear to have been very brief and perfunctary. The mutilations would have taken more time.

I think they were the esence,

Best wishes.
                      Hi Hatchett,
                      I've been thinking the same about the actual murders. I hope this is true because then Mary Kelly would have been killed quickly. The cry of 'Oh, murder' that two women heard I'm also wondering may have come from someone else, and not Mary Kelly. Maybe someone (another prostitute?) had knocked on Mary's door at that time of the early morning to ask if she could stay there for a while as she was homeless and the night was awful, and not getting an answer had looked through the broken window and seen the carnage in the light of the still burning fire. Then ran off and was too frightened to come forward and witness to the police.
                      What do you think?
                      Carol

Comment

• I would certainly agree that the mutilations were the motive rather than the killings themselves.

by the way, I just saw that series 'Bones' on the telly last night (it was rubbish)....it struck me that there have been a load of telly programmes featuring pathologists in the last few years which would seem to indicate that people in general have a fascination for dissecting dead bodies (not me
                        -I haven't watched any of these series, except NCIS).

What could explain this ??

Well, luckily people seem content to watch 'virtual' autopsies rather than murdering aquaintances to practise opening up then up and removing organs, themselves.

I wonder what is in the psyche of a real pathologist that would lead them to choose such a speciality ? Afterall, I can't imagine that that just 'anyone' would choose that job.
                        http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

• hi Ruby

I don't watch them either (too squeamish!) but I used to watch Silent Witness and I think it is maybe the ability for justice to be brought about through things which might otherwise be overlooked...a witness who can no longer speak in words, but whose pathology can still accuse and convict the perpetrator. It's a very powerful thing. I can see how that might appeal to people with the stomach for it!

Jen
                          babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

• Originally posted by Carol View Post
                            Hi Hatchett,
                            I've been thinking the same about the actual murders. I hope this is true because then Mary Kelly would have been killed quickly. The cry of 'Oh, murder' that two women heard I'm also wondering may have come from someone else, and not Mary Kelly. Maybe someone (another prostitute?) had knocked on Mary's door at that time of the early morning to ask if she could stay there for a while as she was homeless and the night was awful, and not getting an answer had looked through the broken window and seen the carnage in the light of the still burning fire. Then ran off and was too frightened to come forward and witness to the police.
                            What do you think?
                            Carol
                            I think that is a possibility.

I would go along with the old fella William of Ockham in that the simplest solution is more likely.

Comment

• Hi Carol,

I think that there could be a number of explanations for the cry of "oh murder!" It could very well have been as you said. It could also have been someone knocking on Mary Kelly's door and just an exlamation for her having been disturbed by a visitor at such an hour. Of course it could also have been an exclamation by someone else.

Best wishes.

Comment

• Hello Ruby,

I don't think it is a matter of squeamishness. I think it is a choice of professions. After all, surgery must have been quite horrific for the surgeon (and of course the patience) before anaesthetic. But people got used to it. I think that is the same for pathologists. They get immune. Many years ago I had a friend who for a short while had to work in an abattoir. He hated the sight of blood. But he needed a job and that was the only one he could get at the time. So he had to take it. He wasnt there long, thank goodness, but he got used to.

Human beings are very adaptable.

Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                                X