Tiddles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiddles?

Now here's a question, why do I seem to remember that the kitten Mrs. Prater owned was called "Tiddles"? I can't find that info anywhere (I see she called it "the cat" at the inquisition according to The Ultimate Jack the Ripper). Was that name something the papers noted, or did some official document actually note that the cat's name was Tiddles? Or did I just make it up?

"Sensing the imminent murder, Tiddles awoke her owner to summon help, a la Lassie, only to be rudely shoved away... the result is something Tiddles had to live with for the rest of her nine lives."
    Last edited by Felidos; 10-18-2010, 05:06 AM.

Actually the name was "Mr. Diddles," not Tiddles. Just think of the unlikely things that had to happen in order for us to know that, starting with Mrs. Prater including it in her statements to the police, and then some officer actually writing it down. It's a cute little bit of comic relief in an otherwise horrible story.

Comment

Tiddles or Mr. Diddles... I might name my cat that. :3
      "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the officer wrote it down incorrectly because of her accent and his name was actually Mr. Tiddles....Tiddles was and is a very common name for a cat, i've known of several just down here! Mind you, it was probably Diddles, just to be different....

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

Ah goodness, I asked this question and then completely forgot about it 'till now, when I read about "Diddles" in Paul Begg's book "The Facts" and had to run his name through the search engine. According to Begg's citation, the information on Diddles was brought to us by the East London Advertiser. Furthermore, we have more exciting information about this feline: Diddles was a black kitten. The book didn't mention gender, though. It would rock my world to see the printed reference to "Mr. Diddles"

Go Mr. Diddles! The most famous cat of the Victorian era...

And great recognition to Mrs. Prater, who found a way to fit great detail of her cat into her testimony. Woman after my own heart.

Comment

Wanted to edit my post and say that, from my search engine results, I now see Diddles has her very own stuffed mascot (appropriately, with black fur!) and her very own beer label... So glad to see Diddles is well represented!
            Speaking of gender, my mind is getting fuzzy, but I swear I just saw a scanning of an official document where Diddles was referred to as "her" ("I knocked her off the bed...") thus making her appropriately Miss Diddles

Comment

Wait...Diddles has a beer label?? and a stuffed mascot...how did I miss these...I would love to see them......I need to get my cat his own label

Steadmund Brand
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Aaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's D I D D L E S!!!!!!!
                .......... and there are MANY photographs to prove his existance.....he will also be at the London Conf on the Saturday oh unbelievers!

And YES! Diddles Diddler Ale is a reality too as the chosen few can confirm!
                Suzi

******** ' stuffed mascot' ******** (froth froth, hiss spit! )

And it IS MR Diddles to you!
                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

I'm amused by our obsession with the WRITTEN word.

Other than press accounts in 1888, I doubt that the cat's name was ever written down so whether it was Tiddles or Diddles would have been academic.

It no doubt knew whatever it was called and came when it heard its owner use that name.

Liz Prater may never have known or cared that it began with a T or a D. I think Tiddles is more likely though - as a generic moniker for a cat.

Phil

Comment

So sorry... Mr. diddles .....now...how would one go about getting some Diddles Diddler Ale?

Steadmund
                    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

It was spelled "Diddles", but was pronounces "Grimsworthy-Obelthorpe"

Ah, those crazee Englishers....
                      “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

but was pronounces "Grimsworthy-Obelthorpe"

Oh, I see, you use the Black Country dialect. Stoke, to be precise, I think.

Just down the road, a mile or two and it would be pronounced "Bloody Moggie"! especially after the pubs close.

Phil

Comment

A steak and kiddley pie, please.

You must mean a steak and kidney pie.

That's what I said, diddle I?
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi SB,
                            One would have to be part of the winning team at last years Ripper Conf!!
                            'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Oh so sad... hmmm is there any Ale left .....would love to try some.. or actually would really like to just see the lable

Steadmund Brand....

P.S yes I am of legal drinking age

Comment

Working...
                              X