probably no significance but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probably no significance but...

Why did McCarthy allow Mary to be so far in arrears with her rent? Dorset street landlords were not noted for their genorosity? Mary being young and pretty, was she perhaps trading her favors for a break on the rent?

And she apparently found some clients that last night...so where is the little bit of money she should have had? Was Jack a petty thief as well?

I doubt any of the answers would lead to any earth shaking relevations about the case, but the background is always interesting too...

Hello Mac,

It has been sugested that she offered him sex in exchange for more time to produce her rent. McCarthy rents was also well know for its inhabitants being of a lowly type.

Yours truly.
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

?

And she apparently found some clients that last night...so where is the little bit of money she should have had? Was Jack a petty thief as well?
      I'm sure that Jack robbed the women if they had anything on them to take : he always took back his own money but he also took Annie's rings, and the money that Liz must of made, so I imagine that he took any money that Mary had made.

As to why McCarthy would let Mary get in arrears without throwing her out..well, it would be kissing his money goodbye to throw her out, and maybe she promised him faithfully that she would come good ? For all we know, it might not have been the only time that she'd got in arrears, but had finished by paying ? At any rate, it was in his interest to give her the benefit of the doubt ?
      http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

petitio principii

Hello Ruby.

". . . he always took back his own money . . . "

Are you sure? How did they get his money?

Perhaps you'll say, "Well, they were soliciting and he had to give them money."

If I ask how you know that, perhaps your response would be, "Well, because they were prostitutes and prostitutes solicit."

If pressed further, How do we know this? perhaps the answer would be, "Because Jack killed only prostitutes."

And if one asks, "How do we know 'Jack' killed them?" The reply would likely be, "Because only Jack went around killing prostitutes. What is the probability of 2 serial prostitute killers in Whitechapel?"

" . . . but he also took . . . the money that Liz must [have] made . . ."

Why must she have made money, besides the 6d spent on flower and cachous? (See circle above.)

" . . . so I imagine that he took any money that Mary had made."

And how did Mary make any money that night? (See circle above.)

Have you noticed how that each assumption requires another one with no fundamentum in re? So that, if one part of the circle is removed, so must the other parts.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Lynn -it is only my personal opinion that all of the canonicals were soliciting on the nights they were killed, whether they were 'full time prostitutes' or not.

It is also my personal opinion that they were killed by Jack.

If they thought that Jack was a bona fide client they must have expected the money before going to a dark secluded place with him, and they didn't have the money on them when their bodies were found -ergo, Jack took it back (and a bit more, if they had anything).

I personally find it unlikely that Liz bought the flower herself and it wasn't a gift. I also find it unlikely that she didn't already have the cachous at the start of the evening, since she probably went prepared for work.

I reiterate that it's only my opinion, but it's not an original one.
          http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Let's not forget, Mary had at least one, possibly two 'clients' before meeting the Ripper, and further don't forget, Mary was seriously in arrears with her rent, and is unlikely to have advance credit to anyone, (assuming any Whitechapel prostitute would have done any such thing..)

NO, I don't think she was full time prostitute, but she certainly was some of the time, and under the circumstances of the night, would have quite likely fell back to making money the only way she knew she could have...

Comment

Apparently McCarthy was about ready to kick her out, she already had been warned about being so far behind in the rent. But it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to suggest that she exchanged sexual favours in order for more time to pay the rent, or even to help pay the rent.

Having said that, I wouldn't have thought McCarthy would have exactly been short of money, given the rent he was receiving from elsewhere - maybe Mary was a particularly good tenant and he didn't mind letting it slide for a while. He might also have been aware of her situation with Joe Barnett and the difficulties she was having.

Cheers,
              Adam.

Comment

Hello Adam,

I have always looked at McCarthy rents as a sort of unofficial brothel. I forget where, but I remember it's inhabitants being described as a lowly type. Perhaps this was the true intention of his business?
                Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

And remember there is also the theory, put forth by better minds than mine, that McCarthy was running a stable of prostitutes, of whom Mary was one. He didn't object to her being 30/- in arrears since she was probably, to quote Arthur Daley, "a nice little earner".

Comment

Hello Maurice,

Yes I believe Kelly would be veiwed by McCarthy in a different light than others, considering her age and reported beauty. Obviously, considering the common prostitute then was older and not necissarily attractive, she would have been a good seller(no disrespect ment by this) I honestly wouldn't be suprised if the theory you present(of which I still can't remember where I first heard it) turns out to be true.

Yours truly
                    Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

where does the robbery idea come from?
                      Weren't the farthings found at the Annie Chapman murder confirmed by Inspector Reid at the MacKenzie inquest,showing that it wasn't just the press reports mentioning it.
                      Can't see them being left behind and a couple of brass rings stolen
                      You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Yeah, sorry, Corey, I didn't mean to step on your line. I was off checking exactly how much MJK owed in the A-Z instead of reading the posts.

P.S. to p.s.: You seem to have wandered into the wrong thread, my son.

Comment

Hello Maurice,

Oh no problem. Perhaps you remember who here offered this? I know who it was but I can't seem to grasp the memory right now.(one of those moments eh?)

Anyhow, it is still a very interesting theory.

Yours truly
                          Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Do we know that this is a ahh... pay to play endeavor? Would prostitutes get paid up front? Clearly its to their advantage if they were, but we aren't talking about a powerful group able to enforce such a thing. I can see an argument for it being safer for the ladies if paid afterward. If someone doesn't want to pay for service, they can easily be violent and take what they want anyway. If they walk off without paying afterward, at least no one got hurt. So I'm curious.
                            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hi,

I'm sorry to be a wet blanket here, but there never were any farthings at Annie's feet, it's a complete fallacy, perpetuated over the years in quite a few books. The evidence is overwhelming against them, but too much to post up here. If anyone would like it, I can email it to them, but it covers a few pages.

I just thought I'd better mention it as it makes a lot of difference to the discussion and might throw a spanner in the works otherwise.

Hugs

Janie

xxxx
                              I'm not afraid of heights, swimming or love - just falling, drowning and rejection.

Comment

Working...
                              X