Picture of Mary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture of Mary?

Is there a picture of Mary Kelly? Other than the horrific one of her on the bed after the murder? I mean there are other pictures of the other victims aren't there? Just wondered if Mary had one someplace.

It's possible that one exists somewhere because we know so little about the past of Mary Kelly, but at this stage, unfortunately not. We only have descriptions of her as not much can be made out of that gruesome photo - she was supposedly quite attractive though.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Comment

Danae,
      If you mean pictures of the victims alive, actually Annie Chapman is the only one currently known as there is a posed portrait photo of her and her husband from near the time of their marriage. If you mean the mortuary shots of the dead faces, those exist of Polly, Annie, Liz, Catherine, Martha Tabram, Alice McKenzie and Frances Coles. There are rumors of more shots of Mary Kelly including a closeup of her face existing somewhere out there, which would no doubt be even more gruesome than the one we all know.

Comment

I would imagine it's possible that she was in family/group shots that may still exist in some form, but determining her identity in these shots with no specific labelling already on the photographs would prove next to impossible. Maybe someone will find something some day but it's bound to involve a lot more detective work than the average ehtusiast is prepared to embark upon.

It would be great if photos of the victims before the attacks were eventually found, then it would be easier to imagine what they might have been like in life and would mean that they wouldn't forever be remembered as mutilated corpses.
        "We want to assemble all the incomplete movements, like cubists, until the point is reached where the crime can commit itself."

Comment

As far as I am aware, there is only the photo of Annie Chapman with her husband. I have not seen any photos of the other victims during their life. Although her past is rather foggy, with Mary Kelly being as attractive as she was and well known it would seem, one would think there would have to be a photo of her knocking about somewhere. However, as Hamrammr mentioned, it such a photograph was NOT labelled then it would be near impossible to identify her. But we can hope......

Comment

Thanks everyone. I guess all of you are right. There is only one picture of one of the victims alive. Annie Chapman I remember now. The one taken with her husband. It is too bad that there are not other pics out there of the victims taken in their life. It is so sad to see them dead and mutilated. Especially Mary as it is said that she was very beautiful. How could that monster have done such horrible things to such a beautiful woman or any of the women for that matter. It sickens me to think of it.
            Last edited by DanaeChantel; 06-03-2010, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Hello you all!

If the info of MJK being as tall as an average LVP man, the possible photo of her could be easily verified.

The only problem is; someone should get on the right tracks. That has been pretty difficult ever since the LVP!

All the best
              Jukka
              "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

If my memory serves me correctly, im sure that S.Evans on a podcast stated that he knew or believed that there was a photograph of one of the victims, but the family did not want it published.

Comment

Hello spyglass!

Probably the family didn't want to have the name published either, but very, very likely it wasn't about MJK!

All the best
                  Jukka
                  "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                    If my memory serves me correctly, im sure that S.Evans on a podcast stated that he knew or believed that there was a photograph of one of the victims, but the family did not want it published.
                    Do you know which one?

It's possible that there might be photos of Polly or Lis in their better days waiting to be discovered.

Hope springs eternal lol

Comment

Hi Belinda,

Sorry but no..I dont.
                      As far as I can remember, Mr Evans either did'nt say or did'nt know. I'm not even sure where he got the imfo from.
                      I would think it highly unlikely though that it was Mary Kelly.

Comment

Sketch

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
                        Hi Belinda,

Sorry but no..I dont.
                        As far as I can remember, Mr Evans either did'nt say or did'nt know. I'm not even sure where he got the imfo from.
                        I would think it highly unlikely though that it was Mary Kelly.
                        In The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Companion by Evans and Skinner there is sketch purporting to be of Mary Kelly. The question is dod the artist actually draw Kelly or did he/she surmise what Kelly looked like?
                        Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Working...
                        X